Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Story posted by Ryan Simmons, Boise Options

Ivy League Commissions Expansion Candidate Report: Will the Ancient Eight add 1, 2… or More?

By Ryan Simmons, Globe Staff, May 14, 2019, 7:12 am

PRINCETON, N.J. – Over the past decade, the Big Ten expanded out of its Midwestern roots into the East Coast with its additions of Maryland and Rutgers. Now, the Ivy League may be returning the favor by heading to the Midwest. The Boston Globe has obtained a report commissioned by the Council of Ivy League Presidents from the investment banking firm Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC that analyzes potential expansion candidates for the athletic conference whose name has become synonymous with the academic elite in America.

As the demographic growth of the United States has largely been taking place far from the Northeastern core of the Ivy League, some of the conference’s presidents have expressed an increasing concern that their current position at the top of the academic food chain could be threatened in a generation without more directly reaching a larger segment of the country. One official from an Ivy League institution that had read the report, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said, “We built up a mythical status over many generations and that has served us very well, but we are looking years down the road to ensure that we have strength top-to-bottom. There’s no doubt that the Harvards and Yales of the world are virtually assured to always have a prime position in the academic world with their endowments, but we need to make sure that the other members like Dartmouth and Brown continue to receive a maximum benefit from our elite association.”

The Goldman Sachs report indicates the difficulty in finding viable expansion candidates that meet the stringent criteria of the Ivy League. Any target for the Ivy League would need to be on a short list of academically elite powerhouses with either Division I athletics or a concrete plan to move up from lower divisions. Forty years ago, top tier academic private institutions schools with Division I sports programs such as Northwestern, Duke and Vanderbilt might have jumped at the chance at obtaining the Ivy label. However, the Goldman Sachs report concludes that the financial reality today is that not even the Ivy League could realistically lure a full member from one of the Power Five conferences (the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12) with their lucrative television contract earnings and other sources of athletic revenue.

At the same time, the Goldman Sachs report notes that the Ivy League demands “an unwavering commitment to academic freedom” from any candidate. This is interpreted within the Council of Ivy League Presidents to effectively eliminate any institution with a religious affiliation, such as Georgetown, from consideration, although one athletic director from the conference half-jokingly quipped, “If Notre Dame wants to join us for football, our door is wide open!”

As a result, the Goldman Sachs report recommends that the Ivy League examine “development cases” of Division III athletic schools that are in the top tier of academia while also having the financial wherewithal to move up to Division I. The Goldman Sachs report said, “While moving from Division III to Division I is challenging, it pales in comparison to the difficulty in moving up the academic rankings. Therefore, there is a greater likelihood of the Ivy League adding a well-resourced institution that already meets the requisite academic criteria to build a proper athletic program than the other way around.”

The University of Chicago, which was once a member of the Big Ten and home to the first Heisman Trophy winner (Jay Berwanger in 1939), was identified as a prime potential development case. The famously academically intense school that churns out Nobel Prize winners on a regular basis on the South Side of Chicago has vaulted to #3 in the U.S. News & World Report National University Rankings over recent years and would instantly bring the Ivy League into its largest market outside of New York City. As of June 30, 2018, the University of Chicago had an endowment of $8.2 billion, which would place it in the middle of the Ivy League ahead of Cornell, Dartmouth and Brown.

Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, which has led all U.S. universities in research spending for 39 consecutive years, is another potential development case that simultaneously has the advantage of a perennially-ranked Division I lacrosse program despite currently having its other athletic teams at the Division III level. A source within the Johns Hopkins athletic department stated if the school ever received an invitation to the Ivy League, it would support such efforts and move its lacrosse program from its current home as an associate member of the Big Ten. The Goldman Sachs report also noted that the location of John Hopkins would allow for the Ivy League to effectively span the entire Washington-New York-Boston corridor, which could strengthen the ties between the conference and the nation’s capital even further.

Other Division III schools mentioned as possible development cases include Washington University in St. Louis and Carnegie Mellon University.

Ivy League Executive Director Robin Harris could not be reached for comment. Sources within the Council of Ivy League Presidents have stated that the group has not set a timetable for a decision regarding any potential expansion.

05-14-2019 09:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

You know this is a satire?

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Such an eloquent response. I’m only asking because you use to pen some thought provoking posts but lately they have been rudderless and the troll derby hasn’t begun.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

It may be satire - as well as a rather lame troll attempt - but it is based on fact.  Back in '82, the Ivy league did consider expansion, and it was driven in part by the attendance requirements that essentially forced the Ivy into IAA.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/10/sports/ivy-league-considers-adding-2-schools.html

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Allow me to respond to your post by saying this is the only sports board on which I post and I am certain that I have never deliberately posted anything which could be considered thought provoking. Accidents do happen and I suppose it is possible that such a thing could occur without my knowledge.

As to being rudderless I admit I like the word and have used it on this board on rare occasion. But in the era of today's politics it has become the norm not the exception.

It occurs to me you may be confusing me with another poster. When I first began posting on this board several years ago I did so under the name "1066 Devils Bridge". This after the famous foot bridge in Tuscany in northern Italy which was constructed in the year 1066.  At that time there was at least one and perhaps several posters who included numbers in their screen name. Possibly one or more of them were "thought provoking". I can not attest to this in either way. 

For a period of just over two years I did not post on this board at all. Not because I did not desire to do so but rather because of an accident which required two operations over 80 days in hospital and nursing home and an extended convalescence which greatly limited my use of computers. 

I therefore believe you have the wrong person when you accuse me of being thought provoking.

I might however take umbrage at dull witted or slow.

10 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

That

That might be so but Boise is heads and tails better then Memphis will ever be.And that's a fact tigers bring nothing in football!

Balderdash

Memphis has ‘prima nocta’ rights over Boise.

The revenue battle has been fought and won. The Broncos share went to Tulsa.

Boise must live out their existence on Pentos. (Facebook)

EEED1960-F450-4ED8-9996-738748F87C59.png

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

That

That might be so but Boise is heads and tails better then Memphis will ever be.And that's a fact tigers bring nothing in football!

Memphis hoops > Boise football

Which one of Memphis' recruits will cheat on the SAT this year?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I could see them adding Chicago and Johns Hopkins. Maybe Case Western Reserve or NYU. But that'd be about it. 

Colgate and Lehigh seem better athletic and cultural fits

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, Balzac said:

So you've branched out and no longer root for just UCF and Houston?

Oh and allegedly TCU. My how enlightened you've become Mr. Frog.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, Joe from WY said:

I could see them adding Chicago and Johns Hopkins. Maybe Case Western Reserve or NYU. But that'd be about it. 

University of Chicago used to be in the Ivy League.  They quit because of all the corruption of the NCAA.