Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

News from the "Pile on SJSU department". Uh-Oh.

Is Blaymeier the guy who upon being introduced at the press conference said “I’m happy to be here at San Diego State.” ??

11 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Is Blaymeier the guy who upon being introduced at the press conference said “I’m happy to be here at San Diego State.” ??

Yup. Talk about an uneventful beginning.

Guest #1Stunner
52 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

A smaller budget?  SJSU would still have to hit up Kansas City, Chicago, Las Cruces and Edinburg, TX every year for all sports.  Plus Seattle and two exotic locales in Utah.  Lots of travel miles this side of the Mississippi for an annual one bid, one and done WAC.

Have you seen the athletic budgets in the WAC?

They are much smaller than what is required in the MWC.

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, Cincy said:

1 minute ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Yup. Talk about an uneventful beginning.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Which sports are not at their limit? How far under their limit are they? 

Ask your AD.  Both TTT were speaking in general.

52 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I never said Weber was eager to be transparent. It would be more accurate to say Weber's desire initially was to simply ignore athletics. Rumor had it that as a typical academic, Weber had only a vague idea of what was needed to have a quality FBS athletics department so just left it to Rick Bay, who seemed much more interested using his time to run marathons than in being in is office. Word is Steve Fisher was shocked when he came to SDSU that Weber apparently thought merely opening a new arena would result in a winning basketball team and even almost a decade later the admissions office still reportedly refused to process Ronnie Hillman's application ahead of those of non-athletes.

As to Ohton, he was indeed retaliated against. However, the court's finding was the retaliation wasn't to the degree Ohton alleged and Ohton was bascially fired at the behest of Tom Craft to an extent because Craft wanted Ohton, a strength guy, to be replaced by a track coach who emphasized speed over strength. Craft was another guy who never should have been hired and probably never would have been but for Rick Bay's miserable hiring process through which he was said to have sought the input of Ted Tollner, who he had just fired, and a committee of players who were likely not motivated to see a task master hired to lead them.

You're correct that I confused the 90s with the aughts but the point remains that SDSU's athletics department has been quite well since Weber started giving adequate attention to following the eruption of criticism which grew after the October 18, 2008 70-7 massacre which turned out to be the best loss in school history.

Boom goes the dynamite.

30 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Ah, so he was just talking out of his ass. I figured as much. 

Sure. I don't care enough to dive deep into your scholarship situation. What I do know is that the money should have legally been used towards scholarships if that’s what the donor intended. Definitely not diverted for coaching “transportation fees”. 

While scholarships may be “maxed out”, many programs offer student athletes additional resources if the scholarship fund allows for it. Things like a training table, more money towards books, private tutoring, etc. I’d be pretty upset if I was a donor or parent of a student athlete and found out that money I donated was being used to fatten the wallets of the coaches. This is far from “no big deal”. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Friend,

We've been friends for years, what you talking about?   You are breaking my hear!!!

All the good times..... the times we discussed SJSU athletics together?  Remember the times we laughed?!?!?!?!

BYU?  Yes, I have extremely high hopes for BYU football.   I wish BYU could play a game in Fort Collins.

BYU basketball?  Why the venom towards the WCC?   Of course we lose in difficult WCC arenas.   We play annual games against Santa Clara..  The Bay Area WCC basketball is amazing right now.

Stunner, I know people in the AD.  I guarantee I can make this happen!

Before I bring it up with AD management though, it would be helpful to know what other team you're going to bring with you for the game.  I'll leave it to you guys to negotiate the rent.

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Stunner, I know people in the AD.  I guarantee I can make this happen!

Before I bring it up with AD management though, it would be helpful to know what other team you're going to bring with you for the game.  I'll leave it to you guys to negotiate the rent.

Headbutt, you are awesome!!!   Love Fort Collins.   Amazing city and people.

Dream list for a Neutral Site Game in Fort Collins:

(1) BYU vs CSU (crowd would probably be evenly split).   I'd expect 15,000 BYU fans----no less.   Game would be huge.   And an honor to play CSU again.

(2) BYU vs WYO.   We already have a home and home, but if Wyoming will agree to another 3 games, I'm fine with one of them being a neutral game in Fort Collins.  Other 2 would be home and home.

(3) BYU vs NOTRE DAME.   They are a Coward school, that has refused to travel.   But they might do it for a game in Fort Collins.  (who wouldn't at that new stadium)

(4) BYU vs Tulsa.   Their fans got me fired up.   Would love for BYU to face Tulsa in Fort Collins.  @Tulsa Guy

(5) ---- Dark Horse Matchup ---- BYU vs FORDHAM.  Will WILL get a matchup against the Rams in Fort Collins, one way or another, dammit. 

18f14ya2btk1jjpg.jpg

File_000.jpeg

On 5/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, #1Stunner said:

Prescription on how to save SJSU Athletics.

(1) Drop football

The stadium is beyond repairable.   Needs a complete tear down and reconstruction (similar to what Stanford and Cal did a few years ago).  Problem is that SJSU doesn't have the money or the will to do what those schools accomplished.   The money isn't there to rebuild the football stadium in San Jose.   It's time to admit the truth, and dump football (which is sort of a dying sport in Northern California, anyway).

(2) Embrace Men's Soccer (as the replacement for football)

SJSU should, and can, embrace men's college soccer as its replacement for football.  SJSU already has a very nice Soccer facility.  And they could strike a deal to also occassional play in the MLS stadium.  Avaya Stadium is only 3 miles from SJSU's campus.   

The PAC12, Big West, and WAC already sponsor men's soccer (SJSU already participates in the WAC).

Men's and Women's soccer could be big at SJSU.   They could expand seating capacity of their Soccer facility (which is the nicest in the MWC).

(3) Join the WAC for all sports

It would be a more competitive league for the Spartans.  It is not a bad league, and is not focused on football.   

SJSU would not have to spend so much money on football, and could operate on a smaller budget.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Stunner, but I'm afraid he's right.  Time for San Jose to pack it in.

The San Jose Mercury News jumped in.

Did San Jose State scholarship donations go for perks instead? University will investigate

An independent auditor will conduct a financial review of San Jose State’s athletic donations in the wake of allegations that school officials misappropriated funds donated for sports scholarship and used them to pay for bonuses for coaches and staff, car allowances and other perks. 

San Jose State president Mary A. Papazian announced Friday that she plans to “look closely” into questions about how the university used donations, adding that if the audit shows that the funds were misused, the school will find other money to fulfill the donors’ intent or return the donations.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/18/san-jose-state-to-investigate-allegations-that-scholarship-donations-were-misused/

If Papazian handles this as Steve Weber did with reports of the improper use of funds derived from the selling of SDSU football and men's basketball jerseys and gear in the early aughts, the "independent auditor" will be someone from the chancellor's office in Long Beach.

Boom goes the dynamite.

55 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

If Papazian handles this as Steve Weber did with reports of the improper use of funds derived from the selling of SDSU football and men's basketball jerseys and gear in the early aughts, the "independent auditor" will be someone from the chancellor's office in Long Beach.

Maybe Mugtang should submit a proposal to SJSU. :BananaComputer:

On 5/16/2019 at 6:21 PM, #1Stunner said:

(4) BYU vs Tulsa.   Their fan got me fired up.   Would love for BYU to face Tulsa in Fort Collins.  @Tulsa Guy

FIFY

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.