Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

News from the "Pile on SJSU department". Uh-Oh.

24 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Go back an re-read the article. The given timeline of misappropriations happened under Bleymier's watch 2013-2016. He's removed two plus year now. Since then, they have  to have reassessed. I doubt they would go through with the ground breaking if they hadn't reviewed the books. 

Lanning being implicated for misappropriation and his sudden resignation has to raise some red flags. They would be negligent not to review everything before moving forward. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

3 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I do believe that the media is vital for checks and balances. While the article appeared sensationalized, it was a legitimate matter to examine. 

It appears that Papazian and Tuite have the processes to prevent more misappropriations.

I think there's a lot more to this story that will be coming out. Check out this tweet from the reporter. 

Thank you to all of the coaches, athletes and staff who have come forward. You are not alone! Please continue to DM me.

8 hours ago, crixus said:

I think there's a lot more to this story that will be coming out. Check out this tweet from the reporter. 

Thank you to all of the coaches, athletes and staff who have come forward. You are not alone! Please continue to DM me.

This tweet is indicative of her lack of experience. She cites confidential sources, but goes on to thank those confidential sources that are coaches, athletes and staff. Further, the time she posted this specific tweets indicates she probably visited SJSU fan sites and saw comments expressing the lack of information directly from athletes. She seems ego driven.

Reviewing her feed, she's trying very hard to spin or sensationalize anything related to the article.

Guest #1Stunner

Prescription on how to save SJSU Athletics.

(1) Drop football

The stadium is beyond repairable.   Needs a complete tear down and reconstruction (similar to what Stanford and Cal did a few years ago).  Problem is that SJSU doesn't have the money or the will to do what those schools accomplished.   The money isn't there to rebuild the football stadium in San Jose.   It's time to admit the truth, and dump football (which is sort of a dying sport in Northern California, anyway).

(2) Embrace Men's Soccer (as the replacement for football)

SJSU should, and can, embrace men's college soccer as its replacement for football.  SJSU already has a very nice Soccer facility.  And they could strike a deal to also occasionally play in the MLS stadium.  Avaya Stadium is only 3 miles from SJSU's campus.   

The PAC12, Big West, and WAC already sponsor men's soccer (SJSU already participates in the WAC).

Men's and Women's soccer could be big at SJSU.   They could expand seating capacity of their Soccer facility (which is the nicest in the MWC).

(3) Join the WAC for all sports

It would be a more competitive league for the Spartans.  It is not a bad league, and is not focused on football.   

SJSU would not have to spend so much money on football, and could operate on a smaller budget.

13 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea that doesn’t sound right. Why would there be scholarship limits if schools can just raise money for extra scholarships for athletes not on full rides?

Read TTT's post again.  Many of the minor sports aren't at their limit.  Many student athletes share partial scholarships.

In other news, the optics on this whole thing is dismal.   :-(   Just another reason to GO BIG SKY Sparty!!!

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

(1) Drop football

The stadium is beyond repairable.   Needs a complete tear down and reconstruction (similar to what Stanford and Cal did a few years ago).  Problem is that SJSU doesn't have the money or the will to do what those schools accomplished.   The money isn't there to rebuild the football stadium in San Jose.   It's time to admit the truth, and dump football (which is sort of a dying sport in Northern California, anyway).

SJSU should, and can, embrace men's college soccer as its replacement for football.  SJSU already has a very nice Soccer facility.  And they could strike a deal to also occassional play in the MLS stadium.  Avaya Stadium is only 3 miles from SJSU's campus.   

The PAC12, Big West, and WAC already sponsor men's soccer (SJSU already participates in the WAC).

Men's and Women's soccer could be big at SJSU.   They could expand seating capacity of their Soccer facility (which is the nicest in the MWC).

It would be a more competitive league for the Spartans.  It is not a bad league, and is not focused on football.   

SJSU would not have to spend so much money on football, and could operate on a smaller budget.

Shut up and continue to rely on the MWC for your independence. Remember, you are a guest here, outsider.

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Shut up and continue to rely on the MWC for your independence. Remember, you are a guest here, outsider.

Maybe if you attack your old friend, the #1Stunner, that might make you feel better about SJSU's problems?

Don't you have any desire to see SJSU fix its current disaster?

I mean....you have terrible football and basketball programs.   A literally crumbling stadium.   Administrators engaging in embezzlement (maybe a crime?)   And all you can do is get enraged at your old friend?

34 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Maybe if you attack your old friend, the #1Stunner, that might make you feel better about SJSU's problems?

Don't you have any desire to see SJSU fix its current disaster?

I mean....you have terrible football and basketball programs.   A literally crumbling stadium.   Administrators engaging in embezzlement (maybe a crime?)   And all you can do is get enraged at your old friend?

You are no friend of the MWCb. You are merely a guest.

Don't you have any desire for BYwho to not get further lost in irrelevance err "independence"

How's your great b-ball program doing in the WCC? Your team has a grand arena, yet loses to teams with HS-like gyms.

3 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Don't you have any desire for BYwho to not get further lost in irrelevance err "independence"

How's your great b-ball program doing in the WCC? Your team has a grand arena, yet loses to teams with HS-like gyms.

Stunner is my friend; except I wish he'd bring his own beer when we go hunting.

14 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Oh shut up!

Didn't one of your ADs spend athletic funds on Mississppi steam boat gambling and hookers? Yeah he did. During the Aztecs shitty years too. Also, he hired Tom Craft who drank on the job.

SDSU fans should be the last to cast stones. 

Edit: Two SDSU AD's deliberately misused funds.

SDSU AD, Schemmel (2009)

SDSU AD, Bay (2004)

Two unethical AD in a five year span. Tell us more about your greatness.

I've never heard of the Mississippi steam boat gambling and hookers thing and think you're probably confusing SDSU with another school in saying that. I do recall two underlings within the athletic department who were forced to quit (IIRC one guy got himself a gig at a JC in Arizona before he could be canned, I'll call him Subordinate 1) and a subordinate of his who was fired for improprieties and then SDSU had to bring him back when during a state personnel board hearing it became obvious that the guy who quit under cover of darkness had approved of improper use of revenue derived from sales of athletic department equipment (Sub 2). I also recall a story about Sub 2 having allegedly gotten underage student managers into a Columbus strip club during a football roadie to Ohio State for which he must have also had the approval of Sub 1.

Jeff Schemmel? As I've said multiple times on this board, Schemmel was an incompetent slimeball who may have even been in on the basketball cheating scandal at Minnesota before SDSU so stupidly hired him.

So SDSU's athletics department was admittedly a mess in the mid to late-90s. However, I think you're incorrect about two ADs "deliberately" misusing funds since to my recollection, Bay alleged he knew nothing about what Sub 1 did until after the fact. (Weber's assertion Bay would have been fired but for quitting means little given that Weber apparently got his info from the same person or persons who blamed Sub 2 for actions condoned by Sub 1.)

But notable is that although Weber had paid insufficient attention to athletics during his first 7-8 years as president, he eventually cleaned things up and got rid of Schemmel in great haste. (If word I heard from good sources is true, Weber didn't even allow Schemmel to be involved in replacing Chuck Long to any extent other than letting the guy sign Brady Hoke's contract, which I believe was required of him under university or CSU regulations.)

Now let's turn to San JOSE State. Just what has YOUR administration done to clean up its mess? And just how transparent have your president's office and athletics department been? Seems to me not only not at all but whistle blowers there are afraid of retaliation for doing so. Am I wrong about that?

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Friend,

We've been friends for years, what you talking about?   You are breaking my hear!!!

All the good times..... the times we discussed SJSU athletics together?  Remember the times we laughed?!?!?!?!

BYU?  Yes, I have extremely high hopes for BYU football.   I wish BYU could play a game in Fort Collins.

BYU basketball?  Why the venom towards the WCC?   Of course we lose in difficult WCC arenas.   We play annual games against Santa Clara..  The Bay Area WCC basketball is amazing right now.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I'm just giving him shiit. B/c he's that friend.

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Friend,

Thank you for the kinds words.   I owe you an A&W.  No charge this time!!!

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

friendship-poem-oh-what-a-joy-it-is-to-h

Just bring your own beer, Stunner. That's all. We love you.

11 hours ago, crixus said:

Reposted for easier viewing

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

(1) Drop football

SJSU should, and can, embrace men's college soccer as its replacement for football.  SJSU already has a very nice Soccer facility.  And they could strike a deal to also occassional play in the MLS stadium.  Avaya Stadium is only 3 miles from SJSU's campus.   

A smaller budget?  SJSU would still have to hit up Kansas City, Chicago, Las Cruces and Edinburg, TX every year for all sports.  Plus Seattle and two exotic locales in Utah.  Lots of travel miles this side of the Mississippi for an annual one bid, one and done WAC.

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Read TTT's post again.  Many of the minor sports aren't at their limit.  Many student athletes share partial scholarships.

In other news, the optics on this whole thing is dismal.   :-(   Just another reason to GO BIG SKY Sparty!!!

Which sports are not at their limit? How far under their limit are they? 

40 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I've never heard of the Mississippi steam boat gambling and hookers thing and think you're probably confusing SDSU with another school in saying that. I do recall two underlings within the athletic department who were forced to quit (IIRC one guy got himself a gig at a JC in Arizona before he could be canned, I'll call him Subordinate 1) and a subordinate of his who was fired for improprieties and then SDSU had to bring him back when during a state personnel board hearing it became obvious that the guy who quit under cover of darkness had approved of improper use of revenue derived from sales of athletic department equipment (Sub 2). I also recall a story about Sub 2 having allegedly gotten underage student managers into a Columbus strip club during a football roadie to Ohio State for which he must have also had the approval of Sub 1.

Jeff Schemmel? As I've said multiple times on this board, Schemmel was an incompetent slimeball who may have even been in on the basketball cheating scandal at Minnesota before SDSU so stupidly hired him.

He sounds like our Gene Bleymaier. Everything investigated in the article happened/occurred under his time. Per a bronco poster, he was let go from BS for mismanagement.

So SDSU's athletics department was admittedly a mess in the mid to late-90s. However, I think you're incorrect about two ADs "deliberately" misusing funds since to my recollection, Bay alleged he knew nothing about what Sub 1 did until after the fact. (Weber's assertion Bay would have been fired but for quitting means little given that Weber apparently got his info from the same person or persons who blamed Sub 2 for actions condoned by Sub 1.)

The department was a mess well into the late aughts.

But notable is that although Weber had paid insufficient attention to athletics during his first 7-8 years as president, he eventually cleaned things up and got rid of Schemmel in great haste. (If word I heard from good sources is true, Weber didn't even allow Schemmel to be involved in replacing Chuck Long to any extent other than letting the guy sign Brady Hoke's contract, which I believe was required of him under university or CSU regulations.)

Pres. Papazian and AD Tuire appear to be on top and doing damage control. Time will tell.  Former Pres. Q did a terrible job in hiring Bleymaier.

Now let's turn to San JOSE State. Just what has YOUR administration done to clean up its mess? And just how transparent have your president's office and athletics department been? Seems to me not only not at all but whistle blowers there are afraid of retaliation for doing so. Am I wrong about that?

Unfortunately, whistle blowers are always of afraid of retaliation. The whistle blower at SDSU was also retaliated against.

And although Weber repeatedly promised that staff members who blew the whistle on abuses would not face retaliation, strength coach Ohton -- who had worked at SDSU for 18 years training athletes from 16 teams, including baseball, football, and basketball -- was soon to learn otherwise

You think Pres. Weber was eager to be transparent immediately when the whistle blew at SDSU? Spare the righteousness. I expect for Pres. Papazian's and AD Tuite's Offices to cooperate and do navigate honorably SJSU out of this. If it takes the media for them to be transparent and honorable, so be it. Hopefully the beginning is the peak.