Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Alabama Abortion Ban

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:42 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Just for the hell of it, I bought a bullet proof shirt a couple years ago. It won’t stop anything like high powered rifle ammo or .45 caliber point blank, but stops .22’s and some .357 stuff. Yes, it was pricey. I wear it anytime I’m on a K-12 campus, at the post office, outdoor Vegas concerts or when the cartels have a contract out on me. 

To stop the hardcore stuff, you need ceramic plates. So you might be able to get a thick sweater or a light jacket that can take the plates. Or you can wear the typical bulky law enforcement vest and look like a fat ass. 

Can you fit the plates in dress shorts?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

What about the cases of sever deformities or a non-viable fetus? 3rd Trimester okay in some of those cases?  

Here is the issue, removing a baby by abortion or birth is not making anything easier for the mother in the third trimester.  It still is a big thing that has to come out.   If it is non-viable, it still has to come out, if it has sever deformities it still has to come out.   

What is your opposition to it being raised by the state if the family doesn't want the child?    

You give me your justification for killing it?  Taking into consideration you may fit those criteria in your old age?  Your family may want to get rid of you because you can't feed yourself and they are tired of changing your diapers.

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

What about the cases of sever deformities or a non-viable fetus? 3rd Trimester okay in some of those cases?  

Example: It's discovered at 20 weeks that the fetus has a congenital diaphramatic hernia and will suffocate after being born.  Should the parents have the option to abort? Or should they be forced to have the baby and watch it suffocate to death?

What is the CDH survival rate?

The success of CDH treatment often depends upon whether other anomalies are present and a singular survival rate for CDH is hard to determine. Worldwide, the survival rate for CDH has increased over recent decades from 50% to 70 to 80% according to some research. At Children’s Colorado, our multidisciplinary team has achieved some of the highest congenital diaphragmatic hernia survival rates in the country, particularly given the severity and complexity of cases we treat. The average survival rate for babies with CDH at Children’s Colorado is 82%.

https://www.childrenscolorado.org/conditions-and-advice/conditions-and-symptoms/conditions/congenital-diaphragmatic-hernia-cdh/?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI44mGoZer4gIVmMBkCh073gNxEAAYASAAEgI--fD_BwE

The World Needs More Cowboys!

11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

What is the CDH survival rate?

The success of CDH treatment often depends upon whether other anomalies are present and a singular survival rate for CDH is hard to determine. Worldwide, the survival rate for CDH has increased over recent decades from 50% to 70 to 80% according to some research. At Children’s Colorado, our multidisciplinary team has achieved some of the highest congenital diaphragmatic hernia survival rates in the country, particularly given the severity and complexity of cases we treat. The average survival rate for babies with CDH at Children’s Colorado is 82%.

https://www.childrenscolorado.org/conditions-and-advice/conditions-and-symptoms/conditions/congenital-diaphragmatic-hernia-cdh/?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI44mGoZer4gIVmMBkCh073gNxEAAYASAAEgI--fD_BwE

Edit: My previous post was snarky, and I don't think it helps. So I deleted it. I will say that this backs up my previous posts about bureaucratic approaches to moral quandaries. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

No science allowed in democratic party politics.

See above.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

24 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Edit: My previous post was snarky, and I don't think it helps. So I deleted it. I will say that this backs up my previous posts about bureaucratic approaches to moral quandaries. 

My response was specifically to this "and will suffocate after being born.  Should the parents have the option to abort? Or should they be forced to have the baby and watch it suffocate to death?"

Without trying to sound snarky, at what survival rate do you suggest we allow murder?  82% is pretty damn high, isn't it?  The alternative is 0%.

7 minutes ago, pokebball said:

My response was specifically to this "and will suffocate after being born.  Should the parents have the option to abort? Or should they be forced to have the baby and watch it suffocate to death?"

Without trying to sound snarky, at what survival rate do you suggest we allow murder?  82% is pretty damn high, isn't it?  The alternative is 0%.

Not to mention no one forces them to watch it suffocate in fact they would in normal practice treat the child in a different room to avoid that situation.

Nothing is 100%.

18 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think having a conversation about what the proper survival rate for the government to mandate an individual's or family's action in a moral dilemma is a problem.

I get you think 80% does not a moral dilemma make. But that's kinda the point, isn't it? What's the threshold that defines a true dilemma? Not sure that the Alabama legislature or the supreme court is the place we answer that.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think having a conversation about what the proper survival rate for the government to mandate an individual's or family's action in a moral dilemma is a problem.

I get you think 80% does not a moral dilemma make. But that's kinda the point, isn't it? What's the threshold that defines a true dilemma? Not sure that the Alabama legislature or the supreme court is the place we answer that.

I get your point, but even assisted suicide laws require one to be incurably ill.  The government establishes mandates then?

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

So are you arguing the government shouldn't make laws against moral dilemmas?  Because that would gut the criminal code we could get rid of all the rape, murder, drug, sodomy, pedofile statutes just to name a few.

25 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

There are some rare cases where abortion may be the best choice in a very bad situation. Where I have the most problem are the majority of cases where abortion is done for convenience. 

Yes, that sucks but fortunately more than 90% of those are done in the 1st trimester. 

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Example: It's discovered at 20 weeks that the fetus has a congenital diaphramatic hernia and will suffocate after being born.  Should the parents have the option to abort? Or should they be forced to have the baby and watch it suffocate to death?

Also rare events.  But you’re probably another denier of the fact that the vast majority of late stage abortions are for convenience.  Pathetic...

v0icAvfW.jpg

6 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

So are you arguing the government shouldn't make laws against moral dilemmas?  Because that would gut the criminal code we could get rid of all the rape, murder, drug, sodomy, pedofile statutes just to name a few.

It's not clear to me you know the definition of the word dilemma. 

6 hours ago, pokebball said:

I get your point, but even assisted suicide laws require one to be incurably ill.  The government establishes mandates then?

Not sure that's analogous, but assuming it is - I imagine I wouldn't be too fond of those mandates either with my libertarian leanings. 

31 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's not clear to me you know the definition of the word dilemma. 

It is clear to me that you aren't willing to acknowledge your stupid suggestion.

That's normal, you are never an honest poster.

Of course anyone that considers murder of a baby a "moral dilemma", you certainly can't expect much from.

4 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

It is clear to me that you aren't willing to acknowledge your stupid suggestion.

That's normal, you are never an honest poster.

Of course anyone that considers murder of a baby a "moral dilemma", you certainly can't expect much from.

It's still not clear that you know what the word means. Either that, or your previous post was too incoherent. Could be either.

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's still not clear that you know what the word means. Either that, or your previous post was too incoherent. Could be either.

You are clueless.

Look up the definition of "moral", "abortion", "murder", they may help you understand the post.   

Maybe this will help you child.

https://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-morals.html

Morals in Society

Is there really a standard moral code in society these days? Yes, while most people follow society's laws, they also abide by certain social mores, which are governed by morals. While morals tend to be driven by personal beliefs and values, there are certainly some common morals that most people agree on, such as:

• Always tell the truth

• Do not destroy property

• Have courage

• Keep your promises

• Do not cheat

• Treat others as you want to be treated

• Do not judge

• Be dependable

• Be forgiving

• Have integrity

• Take responsibility for your actions

• Have patience

• Be loyal

• Have respect for yourself and others

• Be tolerant of differences

• Seek justice

• Have humility

• Be generous

For a deeper dive into the difference between values and morals, read What's the Difference Between Ethics, Morals, and Values?.

The Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments are often considered the basis for societies founded on Judeo-Christian principles. You'll notice some overlap with the list above, as many of these principles are still embedded in general society.

1. Do not have any gods before me

2. Do not make for yourself a graven image

3. Do not take the name of the Lord your God in vain

4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy

5. Honor your father and mother

6. Do not kill

7. Do not commit adultery

8. Do not steal

9. Do not bear false witness against your neighbor

10. Do not covet your neighbor's wife or possessions