Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Alabama Abortion Ban

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You mean like the standard adopted under Roe v. Wade which seems to have been working fine for 45 or so years?

Right. Many keep bringing up the New York and Virginia laws as though they are something new and God awful.

All they really are is codifying in state law what was already the law according to Roe v Wade.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Condoms can fail. 

It’s exceptionally rare. If that happens, go buy her the morning after pill.  Make sure she’s on BC too.  And let’s provide free contraception to everybody!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

Butt sex.  Gay men are on to something.  

black think about it GIF by Identity

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

It’s exceptionally rare. If that happens, go buy her the morning after pill.  Make sure she’s on BC too.  And let’s provide free contraception to everybody!

I literally agree with all of this.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Butt sex.  Gay NBA men are on to something.  

That's the word I heard from a sportswriter after Kobe was accused of rape. (Shawn Kemp excepted.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

So, at this point is the Alabama law in effect? If an Alabama doctor does abort a fetus won’t his defense be Roe vs Wade as federal law takes precedence? 

Or is the Alabama point to try and push this to the SCOTUS again? 

34 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So, at this point is the Alabama law in effect? If an Alabama doctor does abort a fetus won’t his defense be Roe vs Wade as federal law takes precedence? 

Or is the Alabama point to try and push this to the SCOTUS again? 

It's the latter and "pro-life" people may be making a big political mistake pushing the proverbial envelope with stuff like this. Since I've been on the fence about abortion and none of these new laws affect California, it just doesn't mean too much to me but Mrs. SGF, who is usually pretty apolitical, is really pissed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

19 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It's the latter and "pro-life" people may be making a big political mistake pushing the proverbial envelope with stuff like this. Since I've been on the fence about abortion and none of these new laws affect California, it just doesn't mean too much to me but Mrs. SGF, who is usually pretty apolitical, is really pissed.

As I said earlier in the thread Alabama and other red states have made a serious mistake pushing this issue right now. They’ve given the left ammunition for 2020 and abortion is a motivator for the left like guns are for the right.  

22 minutes ago, mugtang said:

As I said earlier in the thread Alabama and other red states have made a serious mistake pushing this issue right now. They’ve given the left ammunition for 2020 and abortion is a motivator for the left like guns are for the right.  

Yeah. If taking back the House is in mind for Republicans, this is exactly what you don't do in battleground states like Missouri.

As far as the Presidential election, I don't think it will make much difference.

I'm also not convinced the courts will overrule Roe Vs. Wade. Roberts sided with Liberal justices on Obamacare. Even Kavanaugh recently sided with Liberals in the case versus Apple.

3 minutes ago, CV147 said:

Yeah. If taking back the House is in mind for Republicans, this is exactly what you don't do in battleground states like Missouri.

As far as the Presidential election, I don't think it will make much difference.

I'm also not convinced the courts will overrule Roe Vs. Wade. Roberts sided with Liberal justices on Obamacare. Even Kavanaugh recently sided with Liberals in the case versus Apple.

I don’t think Roe gets overturned either. 

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

This is an extremely slanted take that conservatives have taken, using black babies as mere pawns in their game.  Not many people give a shit about the race of a baby, yet you would think this is a crusade to save them.  You don't need to utilize that tactic to get your point across.

Where did I say anything about "black babies", specifically?

I think we just got an insight into your thinking though, which is typical for an authoritarian democratl

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You mean like the standard adopted under Roe v. Wade which seems to have been working fine for 45 or so years?

If you are one of the million babies a year that  are murdered for convenience would you have that same view?

11 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

If you are one of the million babies a year that  are murdered for convenience would you have that same view?

They're not babies, most of the time. And I'm against late-term abortions or infanticide.

This might be unpopular to say among conservatives, but speculating about the potential of life is the same as speculating about the potential of global warming.

We just don't know whether the baby would have been carried full-term, first of all, and second of all we don't know when an embryo/fetus gains sentience.

When my wife was pregnant we found out our son was going to have major medical issues. We knew what a few were going to be but not all. We had testing done to see if he was going to have Down Syndrome or Trisonomy-18. Both doctors brought up the topic of abortion at this meeting. The test results weren't back for a week and it was the longest week of my life. I had time to think about if I was strong enough to be a dad for a kid that had down's. I thought about my wife's health if we knew the kid wouldn't survive and what that would do to her mentally if she carried to term. I thought about her health because we didn't know what health risks she would have. There was a lot to think about and talk about.

In the end my wife was adamant she was not having an abortion no matter what. After taking a long look at myself I knew that no matter what the results were that I would be the best dad I could and I couldn't terminate that pregnancy unless my wife's health was at stake. As it turns out my son didn't have those issues. The pregnancy was very difficult for my wife and my son was born a month early but survived.

My wife and I both think abortion is murder and we couldn't do it. I think it should be only be used in cases of rape, incest or the health of the mother. But I do have empathy for women that are alone and feel this is their only choice. I have empathy for parents like us that had to make a choice. I don't have empathy for women that use abortion as just another form of birth control. There are too many other options to prevent pregnancy.

4 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

When my wife was pregnant we found out our son was going to have major medical issues. We knew what a few were going to be but not all. We had testing done to see if he was going to have Down Syndrome or Trisonomy-18. Both doctors brought up the topic of abortion at this meeting. The test results weren't back for a week and it was the longest week of my life. I had time to think about if I was strong enough to be a dad for a kid that had down's. I thought about my wife's health if we knew the kid wouldn't survive and what that would do to her mentally if she carried to term. I thought about her health because we didn't know what health risks she would have. There was a lot to think about and talk about.

In the end my wife was adamant she was not having an abortion no matter what. After taking a long look at myself I knew that no matter what the results were that I would be the best dad I could and I couldn't terminate that pregnancy unless my wife's health was at stake. As it turns out my son didn't have those issues. The pregnancy was very difficult for my wife and my son was born a month early but survived.

My wife and I both think abortion is murder and we couldn't do it. I think it should be only be used in cases of rape, incest or the health of the mother. But I do have empathy for women that are alone and feel this is their only choice. I have empathy for parents like us that had to make a choice. I don't have empathy for women that use abortion as just another form of birth control. There are too many other options to prevent pregnancy.

Thank you for your view.

For me, abortion is also not an option. I believe it should play out as intended.

With my first child, my fiancé suggested abortion out of fear, but asked if I would support her through it.

I told her I would not.

We now have an empathetic, incredibly intelligent six-year-old. He's in the 99th percentile in all academic measurables.

12 minutes ago, CV147 said:

They're not babies, most of the time. And I'm against late-term abortions or infanticide.

This might be unpopular to say among conservatives, but speculating about the potential of life is the same as speculating about the potential of global warming.

We just don't know whether the baby would have been carried full-term, first of all, and second of all we don't know when an embryo/fetus gains sentience.

We don't know that you will live to 85 so why not kill you now?

Such a bullshit ignorant argument, it isn't potential life it is human life.   You are just making excuses to lessen it in your mind to justify murdering it.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

Such a bullshit ignorant argument, it isn't potential life it is human life.   You are just making excuses to lessen it in your mind to justify murdering it.

Coincidentally, I am for euthanasia for terminal illness.

5 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Further, you're basing your argument on philosophical proof rather than scientific proof.

We all have our own philosophies. That doesn't mean the government should mandate them.