Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Alabama Abortion Ban

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

There are plenty of kids in foster care that can’t find homes.  Adoption is expensive. It can cost between $5,000 - $40k to adopt an American child. 

Hey, no abortion and less regulation, and we will be able to buy babies at the local kid store for the same price as a tv.  Supply and demand will be tipped so heavy to supply surplus, we will be handing them out and giving allowances to the adopters in a decade.  No more high cost, no more wondering where the hell can I find these babies.  Charlize and Angelina won't have to pick babies out of the dirt in Africa and Asia.  They can just pluck a couple down the block.  

:D

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Personally I’m pragmatic about the whole abortion issue. No matter how many anti abortion laws are put in place, women are still going to have abortions. It’s better they be done in a doctors office or hospital than in an alley with a coat hanger. 

This is correct.

Abortion laws don't stop abortions, they kill women.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Personally I’m pragmatic about the whole abortion issue. No matter how many anti abortion laws are put in place, women are still going to have abortions. It’s better they be done in a doctors office or hospital than in an alley with a coat hanger. 

I find it difficult to be pragmatic about a human life

The World Needs More Cowboys!

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

To be fair, you're making an assumption that these nutjob groups Rocket is talking about are doing things because they have reasons that makes sense.

I’d be more willing to listen to that position if:

1) Rocket didn’t make everything about white supremacism and blame everything on that. 

2) The math supported that position. 

I recognize racists are usually idiots but even they have to know banning abortion will cause more brown & black people to be born. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, tspoke said:

This is correct.

Abortion laws don't stop abortions, they kill women.

So what do we do.  Kill babies or kill women?  I'm thinking there's got to be a better answer.

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I recognize racists are usually idiots but even they have to know banning abortion will cause more brown & black people to be born. 

While I agree with this statement, it's interesting to note that black and brown people are more pro life than white people.

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I’d be more willing to listen to that position if:

1) Rocket didn’t make everything about white supremacism and blame everything on that. 

2) The math supported that position. 

See, there you go again. By not making things about white supremacism, you've once again proven that this place is nothing more than Stormfront lite.

The Guttmacher studies I've come across this afternoon thus far are all admittedly limited by the limitations in the available data, and in at least one case (the only one that explicitly looks at abortions after 20 weeks) admits this outright in the introduction of the study. They basically admit that no one knows the percentage of women who get late abortions due to fetal anomalies / health of the mother vs. for other reasons. In another of the studies, it states that hospitals represent about 3-4% of abortions and most of those abortions are due to fetal anomalies / health of the mother, and also states that they collected less data from hospitals than from abortion clinics. Another only surveyed people at one abortion clinic.

The data isn't clear, and that's a basic fact. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The Guttmacher studies I've come across this afternoon thus far are all admittedly limited by the limitations in the available data, and in at least one case (the only one that explicitly looks at abortions after 20 weeks) admits this outright in the introduction of the study. They basically admit that no one knows the percentage of women who get late abortions due to fetal anomalies / health of the mother vs. for other reasons. In another of the studies, it states that hospitals represent about 3-4% of abortions and most of those abortions are due to fetal anomalies / health of the mother, and also states that they collected less data from hospitals than from abortion clinics. Another only surveyed people at one abortion clinic.

Most all studies include reasoned assumptions.  Data is gathered by most all healthcare facilities as is required by federal and state laws.  Data isn't required to be collected and reported for abortions, and this is what muddles up the data.  However, some pretty solid assumptions can be arrived at by simply correlating what is required to be reported vs. what isn't required to be reported.  Abortions without any reporting requirements are most likely done out of convenience.

Here's a study that may be of interest as well, for those who think that religious anti-abortion sentiment doesn't put women's lives at risk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2636458/

Abstract

As Catholic-owned hospitals merge with or take over other facilities, they impose restrictions on reproductive health services, including abortion and contraceptive services. Our interviews with US obstetrician–gynecologists working in Catholic-owned hospitals revealed that they are also restricted in managing miscarriages.

Catholic-owned hospital ethics committees denied approval of uterine evacuation while fetal heart tones were still present, forcing physicians to delay care or transport miscarrying patients to non–Catholic-owned facilities. Some physicians intentionally violated protocol because they felt patient safety was compromised.

Although Catholic doctrine officially deems abortion permissible to preserve the life of the woman, Catholic-owned hospital ethics committees differ in their interpretation of how much health risk constitutes a threat to a woman's life and therefore how much risk must be present before they approve the intervention.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Most all studies include reasoned assumptions.  Data is gathered by most all healthcare facilities as is required by federal and state laws.  Data isn't required to be collected and reported for abortions, and this is what muddles up the data.  However, some pretty solid assumptions can be arrived at by simply correlating what is required to be reported vs. what isn't required to be reported.  Abortions without any reporting requirements are most likely done out of convenience.

And yet the studies that are always referenced by conservatives to prove that most women who seek abortions after 20 weeks state the limitations of the data. 

Also, and this is an honest question - if there is an instance before viability where labor is induced and delivery is forced due to health of the mother, is that counted as an abortion or miscarriage?

Ironically, the further you get  away from the first trimester the more ambiguous the circumstances despite people who demagogue on "late-term abortions" which isn't even a medical category. 

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

And yet the studies that are always referenced by conservatives to prove that most women who seek abortions after 20 weeks state the limitations of the data. 

Also, and this is an honest question - if there is an instance before viability where labor is induced and delivery is forced due to health of the mother, is that counted as an abortion or miscarriage?

Ironically, the further you get  away from the first trimester the more ambiguous the circumstances despite people who demagogue on "late-term abortions" which isn't even a medical category. 

I believe a miscarriage is required to be reported.  I can ask my son, who is an MD but perhaps @NMpackalum can answer this.

I think I believe you have more clarity after the first trimester.  Life arguments become much stronger beginning in the 2nd trimester.

27 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Bullshit:

https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/pubs/psrh/full/3711005.pdf

I don’t read anywhere in their published study that the results are invalid because of the data.  This is a pro-abortion rights organization even.  No data is perfect, recognizing imperfections and downsides doesn’t automatically invalidate what can be gleaned from it.  You just don’t like that the results of their study show that the vast majority of abortions are for convenience.

RESULTS: The reasons most frequently cited were that having a child would interfere with a woman’s education, work or ability to care for dependents (74%); that she could not afford a baby now (73%); and that she did not want to be a single mother or was having relationship problems (48%). Nearly four in 10 women said they had completed their childbearing, and almost one-third were not ready to have a child. Fewer than 1% said their parents’ or partners’ desire for them to have an abortion was the most important reason. Younger women often reported that they were unprepared for the transition to motherhood, while older women regularly cited their responsibility to dependents.

AKA...  convenience. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

I believe a miscarriage is required to be reported.

I think I believe you have more clarity after the first trimester.  Life arguments become much stronger beginning in the 2nd trimester.

Yes, that is true. And the presence of fetal conditions also emerge later that deem the pregnancy to futile, as do conditions like the ones mentioned above. Those pregnancies are wanted. That's why it's more ambiguous, dude. 

As for miscarriage, I wasn't asking if they're reported. I wanted to know if a pregnancy wherein labor is induced due to such conditions I'm referring to, are those clearly reported as abortions or miscarriages/stillbirths? It's not clear to me which it is.

I saw this black girl on TV argue that abortion has basically been genocide for blacks and there would be so many more blacks in this country if they were born. I find that to be quite a joke.

Think about all the babies black or brown that were born in the inner city gang infested neighborhoods. The parents actually wanted these kids, and they still weren’t able to raise them the way they wanted because of so many challenges. Now think about what the inner city would look like if babies were born and the parents didn’t even want them. Holy crap, talk about gang violence and crime.

Think about how many more inner city gangs and bigger gangs would be out there killing, and sometimes killing innocent people by accident, or on purpose as an initiation requirement to join a gang. 

Anti abortion right wingers certainly are OK with self defense. In a totally un-PC but true way, in the inner city you could almost sell abortion to a right winger as a form of self defense when you think about the innocent people that would’ve been killed by the gang members had they been born. Obviously not every unwanted kid in the inner city would join a gang and be violent, but there would be a lot of them. 

kat.jpg

6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Medically speaking, phrases like late term abortions, partial birth abortions aren't used. Any pregnancy that is terminated is considered a therapeutic abortion. Definitions are important. A miscarriage is a spontaneous or missed abortion. Most of these terms are political in nature. Any pregnancy loss under 20 weeks is considered an abortion. As for reporting, almost all statistics are self reported so therefore probably not very accurate. All I know is that 23 weeks is commonly used as a cutoff for viability outside the womb. In nearly 29 years of residency and group practice >15,000 pregnancies, I've never seen a situation where the life of the mother depended on a therapeutic abortion. I have seen in 2 situations where we induced a pregnancy early to provide chemotherapy early. 

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yes, that is true. And the presence of fetal conditions also emerge later that deem the pregnancy to futile, as do conditions like the ones mentioned above. Those pregnancies are wanted. That's why it's more ambiguous, dude. 

As for miscarriage, I wasn't asking if they're reported. I wanted to know if a pregnancy wherein labor is induced due to such conditions I'm referring to, are those clearly reported as abortions or miscarriages/stillbirths? It's not clear to me which it is.

If they're required to be reported, then a miscarriage is a miscarriage.

Life removes ambiguity for me. What fetal conditions are you referring to?

8 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Bullshit:

https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/pubs/psrh/full/3711005.pdf

I don’t read anywhere in their published study that the results are invalid because of the data.  This is a pro-abortion rights organization even.  No data is perfect, recognizing imperfections and downsides doesn’t automatically invalidate what can be gleaned from it.  You just don’t like that the results of their study show that the vast majority of abortions are for convenience.

I didn't say the vast majority of abortions aren't for convenience. I'm saying it's unclear what percentage of abortions after 20 weeks are for convenience. The study you posted is about abortions in general.

You shouldn't assume why I like or don't like something. I haven't even stated my stance on the issue, though you assume to know what it is.