Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Balzac

The MWC is about to get better. Should the conference office move?

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

speaking of the raiders, I have a co worker who just finished purchasing the PSL for two seats, mid tier in the corner.. $30,000 for both seats, grants them the seat license for 5 years. Next they will actually purchase the season tickets when they go on sale.

¿& commitments like this aren't going to effect Southern NV f'ball ticket sales going frwd?

1 hour ago, RSF said:

The same it does for CUSA's identity or the Big 12's identity.  Not a damn thing.

Are you sure? While they don’t play as many autonomy schools as the AAC, the CUSA looks like it gets better games in the post-season than the MW.

The CUSA partners with the MW increasingly more often in bowl games. Perhaps their proximity to the MWC (Colorado) has helped you guys work together. The MW plays CUSA more than the PAC 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

speaking of the raiders, I have a co worker who just finished purchasing the PSL for two seats, mid tier in the corner.. $30,000 for both seats, grants them the seat license for 5 years. Next they will actually purchase the season tickets when they go on sale.

I guess that gives them access to all events at the stadium, right? Figure there will be quite a bit of concerts and other events going on over the next 5 years... best of luck trying to sell all those unused tickets for $30k

Even if it were true, its got nothing to do with the location of CUSA's office.  AAC got all their current and future bowls (for better or worse) while working out of Quahog.  Everybody's got phone and airport access these days.

And who's "you guys"?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

¿Care to be more specific?

UNLV football tickets are cheap. People will attend UNLV football games just to see the stadium.

Also, the new stadium is just off the strip. Tourists and locals will attend games now. Before zero tourists and few locals and students wanted to go to the old stadium and it sucked.

UNLV is about to get a big shot in the arm from football and may actually switch to a football school just because of the stadium and its location. Its a huge deal.

38 minutes ago, qwelish said:

UNLV football tickets are cheap. People will attend UNLV football games just to see the stadium.

Also, the new stadium is just off the strip. Tourists and locals will attend games now. Before zero tourists and few locals and students wanted to go to the old stadium and it sucked.

UNLV is about to get a big shot in the arm from football and may actually switch to a football school just because of the stadium and its location. Its a huge deal.

I hope you right about Paragraph 2 & 3.  What's the range for ticket prices in the new stadium?

As I'm sure you already know, Paragraph 1 will only last 1-3 seasons.

4 hours ago, qwelish said:

Because all the other college teams playing in NFL stadiums have enjoyed such great average attendance figures...

Look, I agree that for the first 1-2 years you may get a shot in the arm from people wanting to check out the new stadium, but after that UNLV will notice very swiftly that they have absolutely no say in that new stadium, that is way too big for their fanbase and that the NFL team will be more competition than they initially thought...especially if one does not have a particularly large fanbase to start with.

Then again as a UNM fan who am I to paint UNLV in a corner...our athletic department is broke and we have no clue of upgrading anything around our football program so I should probably shut up.

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Well she did say she will get those seats for concerts, etc..

does that help? :D

Oh, really?  It works like that?  Hmmm...

51 minutes ago, Hador said:

Because all the other college teams playing in NFL stadiums have enjoyed such great average attendance figures...

Look, I agree that for the first 1-2 years you may get a shot in the arm from people wanting to check out the new stadium, but after that UNLV will notice very swiftly that they have absolutely no say in that new stadium, that is way too big for their fanbase and that the NFL team will be more competition than they initially thought...especially if one does not have a particularly large fanbase to start with.

Then again as a UNM fan who am I to paint UNLV in a corner...our athletic department is broke and we have no clue of upgrading anything around our football program so I should probably shut up.

#1  We are talking UNLV.  Attendance is poor already.  There's nowhere to go but up.

#2 "Football" fans don't shlep out to Sam Boyd for the joy of watching football.  They do it because they're UNLV fans.  

#3 Again, UNLV fb tickets might as well be free compared to Raider's tickets.  If someone can afford Raiders tickets they can afford UNLV tickets in addition. No Raiders tix holder will have to make a Sophie's choice to attend UNLV fb games.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

Attendance might jump up from like 450 people to 5k.  Would be big

18 hours ago, happycamper said:

wut

Mwcboard :shrug:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

17 hours ago, toonkee said:

#1  We are talking UNLV.  Attendance is poor already.  There's nowhere to go but up.

#2 "Football" fans don't shlep out to Sam Boyd for the joy of watching football.  They do it because they're UNLV fans.  

#3 Again, UNLV fb tickets might as well be free compared to Raider's tickets.  If someone can afford Raiders tickets they can afford UNLV tickets in addition. No Raiders tix holder will have to make a Sophie's choice to attend UNLV fb games.

No question, given the state of UNLV football these past years up is probably the only direction in terms of attendance. I just don't think it will give the program the sort of huge boost that some fans seem to expect. For sure it raises the ceiling and gives an initial jolt...but unless that is followed up by winning on the field in the next 1-2 years that jolt will subside and the ceiling will stay out of reach.

2 hours ago, Hador said:

No question, given the state of UNLV football these past years up is probably the only direction in terms of attendance. I just don't think it will give the program the sort of huge boost that some fans seem to expect. For sure it raises the ceiling and gives an initial jolt...but unless that is followed up by winning on the field in the next 1-2 years that jolt will subside and the ceiling will stay out of reach.

It will take a while for UNLV football to reach any kind of real footing. The town considers UNLV football to be a loser. It's going to take years of success, of playing and beating good teams to get any real traction and to turn that perception around. Yes, the stadium shine will wear off but Las Vegas has never been a college town and UNLV has never really has that college feel anyway. No one will even give a crap about the Rebels becoming competitive in the MW.  It's going to take nationally relevant wins to get more fans continuously in the seats for UNLV. I guess what I'm saying is it's all or nothing, and if there's one city where playing in the NFL stadium will work, it just might be here, but only with a big-time team.  Anything other than that and it won't matter anyway.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

It will take a while for UNLV football to reach any kind of real footing. The town considers UNLV football to be a loser. It's going to take years of success, of playing and beating good teams to get any real traction and to turn that perception around. Yes, the stadium shine will wear off but Las Vegas has never been a college town and UNLV has never really has that college feel anyway. No one will even give a crap about the Rebels becoming competitive in the MW.  It's going to take nationally relevant wins to get more fans continuously in the seats for UNLV. I guess what I'm saying is it's all or nothing, and if there's one city where playing in the NFL stadium will work, it just might be here, but only with a big-time team.  Anything other than that and it won't matter anyway.

Yikes!

Doesn't seem very hopeful for UNLV football.  You paint a gloomy picture.

If only there were about 30,000 @RebelRobert's living in Las Vegas.