Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

Tariffs

17 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Answer this question. Are you willing to pay higher prices for USA made goods? 

To a point, yes. If consumers go broke buying those goods, then it makes no sense. If the price increases are moderate at most then sure. 

12 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Here is the real question.  Are you willing to invest your hard earned money to make goods in the U.S. that we long ago were out competed, based on tariffs that may end any moment?

Obviously we can’t compete with countries that pay their workers $1 an hour to make our tennis shoes and clothes. Or, have very few environmental regulations and worker protections.

Guest #1Stunner

China has a monopoly on certain manufacturing right now, and they haven't been playing fair (sort of a cultural issue).   Stealing technology.  Barring free trade into China.

If the tariffs cause manufacturing to move and spread around to Vietnam, Singapore, the Philippines, Mexico.... Maybe even the U.S.   it will be better for everyone.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

China has a monopoly on certain manufacturing right now, and they haven't been playing fair (sort of a cultural issue).   Stealing technology.  Barring free trade into China.

If the tariffs cause manufacturing to move and spread around to Vietnam, Singapore, the Philippines, Mexico.... Maybe even the U.S.   it will be better for everyone.

I think the Chinese fear this most.   It will take time tho.

7 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Short term pain for long term gain...  hopefully.

Agreed, time to end the cheating, 51% domestic ownership required, and ripoff of intellectual property.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Tariffs don't have anything to do with that question, since their goal is to remove that choice by raising the price of imported goods.

Didn't know there were so many fans of government control of commerce on here. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Tariffs don't have anything to do with that question, since their goal is to remove that choice by raising the price of imported goods.

Didn't know there were so many fans of government control of commerce on here. 

It is about free and fair trade, nobody is in favor of tariffs as the endgame. Even Obama imposed tariffs.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Answer this question. Are you willing to pay higher prices for USA made goods? 

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

yes.

As long as it is sold at Walmart.

110926run_defense710.jpg

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

no, lol.

I am not sure what is worse, shopping at Walmart or flying commercial airlines.  Currently over Helper Utah.  Both are the drizzling shyts.  Prefer to be staying at Greybull Hotel or having dinner at the Elkorn in Meeteetse.

110926run_defense710.jpg

16 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Even Obama imposed tariffs.

Maybe that's why I didn't vote for him. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

There is a time and place for everything, now is the time.

And like I said earlier, I'm not a fan of a central government controlling commerce. Don't like sin taxes or carbon taxes or individual mandates, either. It's OK, I never believed conservatives when they said they were against that kinda stuff anyways. So I'm not going to clutch my pearls about it.

I'm a complete free trader.  But that is a 2 way street.  It pains me to continually see other countries get away with virtually anything they want without any repercussions.  
China is the big dog and they've completely taken advantage of the trade situation,  forced technology sharing, not enforcing IT or patents, blatant stealing of other companies designs etc. 
Reason companies let them get away with it was they could still make money doing it.  If I can save $10M a year in mfg,  then meh, I'll give them what they want.  

Tariffs are not a good solution for sure.  But their not intended to be a solution, their intended to get China to the negotiating table and make them an offer they can't refuse!  Long term, US consumers will lose $ and simply not buy as much stuff.  And companies will begin moving some operations out of China as well.  Both sides lose.  The question is how much?  China will lose their ass in a prolonged trade war.  But they don't face the same political pressures so they may just bite the bullet.  US consumers will lose, there's some very expensive electronics I'm looking to buy in the near future and I may end up just putting it on hold indefinitely.  Other things I won't have much choice.  

What I think the US should start doing is prodding China on other things like human rights, denouncing certain aspects of their non-elected gov't,  giving more attention to Taiwan, etc. things to piss China off and put them on notice.  Basically a wad of cash in one hand, and a big bully club in the other hand, as bad as that sounds.  Make the cost to China exceed whatever benefit they think their getting from not doing a fair trade deal. 

59 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Short term pain for long term gain...  hopefully.

Unfortunately for mugtang we'll know in only 5-6 weeks so he won't be making too many $$ off this issue.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I'm a complete free speech advocate.  But that is a 2 way street.  It pains me to continually see people on the other side  get away with saying virtually anything they want without any repercussions....

I'm a complete gun rights advocate.  But that is a 2 way street.  It pains me to continually see other gun owners get away with virtually anything they want without any repercussions...

I'm a complete free labor supporter.  But that is a 2 way street.  It pains me to continually see corporations get away with paying people virtually anything they want without any repercussions...

I'm a complete supporter of private property rights.  But that is a 2 way street.  It pains me to continually see other property owners get away with doing virtually anything they want with their property without any repercussions...