Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridgeview2

Chernobyl

For those of you that have been pissed off with Game of Thrones and are looking for a good alternative that is also on HBO, I highly recommend checking out Chernobyl. It's a five episode mini-series and the second episode just aired tonight. It's kept me on the edge of my seat since the beginning and I liked that the primary focus is not on the meltdown itself, but the politics taken by the Soviet Government to cover it up and silence the scientists that were trying to warn them about it. It has a pretty good cast with Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard and Emily Watson. Most of the actors are British so the Russian accents aren't there, but it was a decision by the director because he made the point that Russian accents can easily become comical like Boris and Natasha. It makes a lot of sense and after the first 10 minutes you forget all about it and the show itself is riveting. I also found a podcast on Spotify and it's the director talking about the amount of research and time he put into this show and it's amazing how accurate this show is to what really happened.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

24 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

For those of you that have been pissed off with Game of Thrones and are looking for a good alternative that is also on HBO, I highly recommend checking out Chernobyl. It's a five episode mini-series and the second episode just aired tonight. It's kept me on the edge of my seat since the beginning and I liked that the primary focus is not on the meltdown itself, but the politics taken by the Soviet Government to cover it up and silence the scientists that were trying to warn them about it. It has a pretty good cast with Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard and Emily Watson. Most of the actors are British so the Russian accents aren't there, but it was a decision by the director because he made the point that Russian accents can easily become comical like Boris and Natasha. It makes a lot of sense and after the first 10 minutes you forget all about it and the show itself is riveting. I also found a podcast on Spotify and it's the director talking about the amount of research and time he put into this show and it's amazing how accurate this show is to what really happened.

It looks great. I'm waiting for another week, then I'll watch it on demand and not have to wait as long to finish between episodes.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

Is the game over for the thrones? 

The Bloody Thrones would be a good band name. 

kat.jpg

The total number of deaths directly caused by the Chernobyl disaster will never be known because of the way Akkula's, Comrade fan's, Roscoesdad's, and Rocket's ideal utopian government covered up the meltdown. At first the Soviet Union claimed only 2 casualties but later revised to 31. The true number is in the thousands but any records that might have been made have undoubtedly been destroyed and the record takers likely executed. Not to mention the countless long-latency human casualties and incalculable harm to wildlife. 

The sad thing is the entire disaster was preventable but the USSR cheaped out on the construction and maintenance of the plant. Nuclear power is the safest, cleanest, and most efficient non-renewable form of energy on the planet but unfortunately this sad event clouds its acceptance and adaption.

That all said, I hope the series is put on Prime or Netflix. I'd be interested in watching it. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The total number of deaths directly caused by the Chernobyl disaster will never be known because of the way Akkula's, Comrade fan's, Roscoesdad's, and Rocket's ideal utopian government covered up the meltdown. At first the Soviet Union claimed only 2 casualties but later revised to 31. The true number is in the thousands but any records that might have been made have undoubtedly been destroyed and the record takers likely executed. Not to mention the countless long-latency human casualties and incalculable harm to wildlife. 

The sad thing is the entire disaster was preventable but the USSR cheaped out on the construction and maintenance of the plant. Nuclear power is the safest, cleanest, and most efficient non-renewable form of energy on the planet but unfortunately this sad event clouds its acceptance and adaption.

That all said, I hope the series is put on Prime or Netflix. I'd be interested in watching it. 

Wait another 3 weeks and you can use a free HBO monthly subscription. No doubt once Game of Thrones ends HBO will be doing everything it can to keep its subscribers and get new ones to join up so there will be plenty of deals available. Get a free trial to watch what you want then unsubscribe. 

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I haven't seen it, but I have heard good things about it.  I think it's a 3 or 5 episode series.  I figured I'd wait until it's over and binge watch over a weekend.  

The series is 5 episodes long. It's really good and I will definitely be picking it up when it's released on Blu-ray so I can listen to the Directors commentary and behind the scenes extras. The creator and writer for the show, Craig Mazin put his heart and soul into it to make sure everything is accurate/authentic to honor the victims that were affected by it.