Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

John Beilein Leaves Michigan To Coach The Cleveland Cavs

I saw some Michigan fans clamoring for Muss this morning, I do wonder if he'd pull a Chris Beard.

Kind of a shitty time in the coaching carousel for The Wolverines. 

The Asst GM for the Cavs played for Beilein at WV.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

My guess is that Chris Beard is the replacement.

Considering Beard is a Texas guy and makes nearly twice what Beilein makes, long odds. I'd be more worried about Alford since it's his neck of the woods.

9 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Considering Beard is a Texas guy and makes nearly twice what Beilein makes, long odds. I'd be more worried about Alford since it's his neck of the woods.

Beilein made 3.8 total last year, Beard's new deal 4.6.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

But I dont think Beard is leaving Tech.  Yet.  UT awaits.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

$8m buyout is a lot of ched. 

23 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

$8m buyout is a lot of ched. 

In the non P5 world it is. Michigan made a 10 million profit on 185 million revenue last year. Hopefully he remembers how bad the weather for golf was in the Midwest compared to Nevada, NM and Socal. Hopefully they have a head coach in waiting situation. Honestly not that worried, just a thought that hit me when I read it. Alford probably isn't a strong enough candidate after his UCLA experience. Brad Stevens has been mentioned.

1st calls are expected to go to Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens.  After that, the waters get muddier.

And the Michigan AD has apparently had a list for potential replacements for a year, as he was convinced Beilein would take an NBA job, as he was a candidate for the Pistons job last year.

22 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Did you see his new contract?  

Michigan is one of the richest athletic departments in the country.  I think Michigan would easily be able to afford his buyout.  I think they would only have to pay $6 million.