Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

California Republicans

12 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

How am I full of shit? I recounted a true story, and then I said I don't know a lot about the place where the events of that story occurred except for that the events of that story, in fact, did happen to me. Generally the bullshit is associated with people making strong, declarative statements, or people who take a specific personal experience and try to make broad generalizations about it.

As for your story, that's interesting and unfortunate. I would be mad about it as well, and it's a legitimate criticism of the government of New York. But the New York discussed in those two links is New York City. So it seems you're referring to gun policy in the city, not in upstate NY. It does clarify something, however - gun policy seems to be the framework through which you understand and/or evaluate a place. 

The Upstate police enforced the arrest and confiscation of shooters too, read the whole story.

That would never happen in Montana.    Your whole comparison is a joke, they are not even close to having the same attitude or freedom as a Montana citizen.

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

Hi conceived the crazies by allowing government workers to unionize.  One of the worst moves in California.  It began the downward spiral.

It's true. But he also put his boot on their throats repeatedly. Imagine where things would be if Newsom had been governor the last 8 years. 

10 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

It's true. But he also put his boot on their throats repeatedly. Imagine where things would be if Newsom had been governor the last 8 years. 

Agreed.  Maybe he saw the monster he created.  I wouldn't consider him fiscally responsible unless comparing to Gavin.  California is going to increase annual spending $1 B on homelessness.  How much you want to bet, homelessness will be worse a year later.  Very little will be spent where needed (mandatory long-term mental health and addiction treatment when crime is committed). A huge portion will be spent on consultants to "study" the problem.

110926run_defense710.jpg

52 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The Upstate police enforced the arrest and confiscation of shooters too, read the whole story.

That would never happen in Montana.    Your whole comparison is a joke, they are not even close to having the same attitude or freedom as a Montana citizen.

Where, exactly, does it say in either of those articles that upstate police enforce the arrest and confiscation? Please quote it for me.

Also, as stated in my last comment and reinforced in your last comment, gun laws represent the fundamental framework you use to evaluate the qualities of a place. That's fine, but don't pretend that one can't use another criteria for comparison. Just because two places have different gun laws doesn't mean they are not similar in other ways. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

I am not going to investigate to come up with an example for every one, but this is just off the top of my head from Obama.  It is not that I think Trump is a good guy, but you seem to think your team's #$%& doesn't stink.

17 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

#1 - DJT's the press is "the enemy of the ppl" shtick  Called Fox News "destructive" and actually had the FBI investigate James Rosen and a couple other journalists. I---> An isolated incident w/one "news"/propaganda outlet, as compared to DJT's all-out push againt all "mainstream media" as the "enemy of the ppl."

#2 - Evoking the superiority of a mythical past

#3 - The vilification of "the other"  "Cling to their guns and religion" I---> Once again the intensity & frequency is day-and-night.  Did BHO call an entire nationality "rapist & bad hombres?"

#4 - Repeatedly endorsing false claims  If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.  If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. I---> Frequency again.  BHO's single false claim in 6-yrs, while DJT is averaging +7-lies PER DAY going on 3-yrs.

#5 - Embracing crazy conspiracy theories

#6 - Speaking to fear & hatred

#7 - Using the DoJ to go after his political enemies  Used the IRS against his political enemies  I---> Nobody is perfect, however compare the frequency & intensity of DJT & BHO's forays into totalitarianism.

Where did I say the left's "...#$%& doesn't stink?"

The frequency & intensity of the Trump rhetoric outlined above put him in a different league than BHO malfeasance.  

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

To quote John McEnroe, you can’t be serious. 

Why did DJT's committee looking into the issue disbanded after 2-mtgs & after finding nothing?

If you are serious, show us some proof.  I'm sure Info Wars all sorts o' stuff proving your point.

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

#1 - DJT's the press is "the enemy of the ppl" shtick  Called Fox News "destructive" and actually had the FBI investigate James Rosen and a couple other journalists. I---> An isolated incident w/one "news"/propaganda outlet, as compared to DJT's all-out push againt all "mainstream media" as the "enemy of the ppl."

#3 - The vilification of "the other"  "Cling to their guns and religion" I---> Once again the intensity & frequency is day-and-night.  Did BHO call an entire nationality "rapist & bad hombres?"

#4 - Repeatedly endorsing false claims  If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.  If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. I---> Frequency again.  BHO's single false claim in 6-yrs, while DJT is averaging +7-lies PER DAY going on 3-yrs.

#7 - Using the DoJ to go after his political enemies  Used the IRS against his political enemies  I---> Nobody is perfect, however compare the frequency & intensity of DJT & BHO's forays into totalitarianism.

The frequency & intensity of the Trump rhetoric outlined above put him in a different league than BHO malfeasance.  

Where have you said it does?  Ever?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

The thing dealing with China that makes it difficult is they don’t look at it from a strictly business perspective like we do. It’s a matter of honor and saving face. So, you have to make it look like they won even if they lose. 

17 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Here is the thing, you are full of bullshit and it is obvious.  You are just so in love with yourself you think it sounds good.

I went to a national NRA sponsored pistol shoot in upstate New York.  We knew ahead of time that we had to follow all these guidelines to get our guns and ammunition into the state.    You had to mail ammunition because there was no way to carry several thousand hand loaded rounds through the airports.   I shoot in the limited single stack category category so I only can use 8 round mags.   I still mailed both my gun and my ammo to a volunteer to pick up when I got to the gun range.  Normally I take the gun on the plane with me as that is legal but I don't know why I did not this time.

Turns out I was extremely lucky.   Everyone who carried a gun on a plane was arrested when they got off the plane in New York.  Even though the NRA local guys had asked the state if we could have the shoot, cleared with them the types of weapons and magazines we would be carrying.  They arrested everyone who declared their gun with the air carrier.

They even were at the shooting range checking all us individuals who had got past them.

Several of us like me picked up our guns, drove to Virginia and flew home from there without ever competing.   People to this day are still fighting to get their weapons back even though New York has lost in the federal courts.  These are expensive guns and New York is threatening to destroy them rather than give them back.

Now the reason New York is not like Montana and any moron who had been to either place would know this.   No law enforcement in Montana, rural Nevada or many other states would enforce patently illegal laws like this.   They not only did so in upstate New York, they relished it.   Needless to say those competitions don't happen in New York anymore.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/john-stossel-interviews-gun-owners-arrested-traveling-new-york/

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190322/supreme-court-to-review-new-york-city-gun-control-law

I realize reading is really hard for you so I put it in red.

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Where, exactly, does it say in either of those articles that upstate police enforce the arrest and confiscation? Please quote it for me.

Also, as stated in my last comment and reinforced in your last comment, gun laws represent the fundamental framework you use to evaluate the qualities of a place. That's fine, but don't pretend that one can't use another criteria for comparison. Just because two places have different gun laws doesn't mean they are not similar in other ways. 

They are as different as any two places in the United States.

You made an idiotic comparison.

But sure they are both in North America, both have 4 seasons, both have people, both have governments!    They are so much the same!  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

You keep going with the whole "my politician is more (insert adjective here) than your politician.  It just makes you look like a partisan hack.

4 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Really? He only made one lie in 8 years?

JFC dude. Go have another Old Crow in Riverbank. Or don't. 

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Really? He only made one lie in 8 years?

JFC dude. Go have another Old Crow in Riverbank. Or don't. 

He replies in crayon, don't expect much from him

3 hours ago, pokebball said:

Where have you said it does?  Ever?

Here you go:  The Left's shit stinks, just like every other political point of view.

2 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

You keep going with the whole "my politician is more (insert adjective here) than your politician.  It just makes you look like a partisan hack.

#1- I didn't bring up BHO, he did.

#2 - We have to deal w/what we have/had.  I'd rather debate current events/history, than discuss some pie-in-the-sky idealogical dreams.  

#3 - I'll be the first one to admit BHO wasn't perfect.  Especially when it comes to his protection the Banking Industry.

13 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

The religious right is a threat that only exists in the minds of regressives. 

Aren’t religious people entitled to vote and support their candidates just like any other voter bloc, or are they just supposed to sit quietly in the corner? Hmm @renoskier

Of course they have right the "...to vote & support their candidates."  I don't think anyone here will deny that.

I think what people have problems w/is the religious right trying to impart their morality on the country as a whole.  It's been my experience that many on the religious right believe the Constitution & the Bible are one in the same.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:01 PM, sactowndog said:

Sure because many Californians know personally kids who are dreamers and/or families who have been torn apart.   At its core, California/Western libertarian based Republicanism has lost out to Southern Social Conservatism.   

Nah, that's horseshit.

Claiming the CA GOP is more socially conservative than it used to be is absolutely not true.  

Phuck man, pretty much every single customer I have is a CA conservative, and only a couple are what you would consider socially conservative.

The issue is that everyone works for the damn government, or wants free shit.  And that silicon valley and Hollywood are lefty ATMs.

This will piss people off, but I don't care.  But lots of Latino immigrants like free shit too..  My son's best friends parents voted for Hillary because she was "going to make college free". As immigrant decendants move up the social ladder they are less interested in free shit, but that takes time.

The CA GOP first started to go to hell when the defense industry was hollowed out in the ninties.  

It eosnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why CA is a liberal Nirvana.  Look at the demographics.  You have loads of urban highly educated Whitey's, lots of minorities, craploads of public workers, and less white rural professional s, and white working class, and proportionately less business owners than other states.

Business owners and people in construction (other than Union shops) lean right, regardless of if they are brown or white.  There just aren't enough of them.  And then you have retirees leaving the state in droves (old people lean right).  No wonder California is phucked.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, GoState99755 said:

Contrary to DJT, "illegals"/undocumented immigrants don't vote.

WTF are you talking about? Of course they vote, it’s CA!  Even though there is some cheating like that, they make their impact in a few years or so when they can vote. If an illegal marries a legal, the illegal can stay in the US and go through process of citizenship. It’s the same concept as the mail order bride thing. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Nah, that's horseshit.

Claiming the CA GOP is more socially conservative than it used to be is absolutely not true.  

Phuck man, pretty much every single customer I have is a CA conservative, and only a couple are what you would consider socially conservative.

The issue is that everyone works for the damn government, or wants free shit.  And that silicon valley and Hollywood are lefty ATMs.

This will piss people off, but I don't care.  But lots of Latino immigrants like free shit too..  My son's best friends parents voted for Hillary because she was "going to make college free". As immigrant decendants move up the social ladder they are less interested in free shit, but that takes time.

Not what I said at all.....

California Republicans by and large tend to remain more libertarian.   But the Republican Party as a whole has become more socially conservative making it less attractive to the independent Californian.  Which is why the question on rebranding.