Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

How the Right Lost Its Mind

Just now, retrofade said:

They sold their souls in order to gain control over the judiciary. 

That's why I think conservatives who dont like Trump got so riled up over the Kavenaugh hearings. If you make a Faustian bargain, you are gonna be pissed if you dont get to eff with the Pope.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

It won't matter. 20 years from now, the country will be more liberal than it is today.

I often think this is why so many hardcore conservatives seem angry; the world keeps changing and there's not really a damn thing they can do about it.

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

How exactly? They didn't do anything that wasn't done before with Garland. And the Kavanaugh circus was a national disgrace 

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

It won't matter. 20 years from now, the country will be more liberal than it is today.

I often think this is why so many hardcore conservatives seem angry; the world keeps changing and there's not really a damn thing they can do about it.

The pendulum always swings back. The method is the only mystery. Enjoy overinflated welfare states and attacks on the constitution while it lasts

3 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

How exactly? They didn't do anything that wasn't done before with Garland. And the Kavanaugh circus was a national disgrace 

The judiciary extends far beyond the Supreme Court.

13 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

The pendulum always swings back. The method is the only mystery. Enjoy overinflated welfare states and attacks on the constitution while it lasts

I'm not talking about the relatively small pendulum swings between GOP and Dem administrations, I'm talking about the long term march toward a more "liberal" society which has been taking place since the founding of our nation.

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

20 years? We only have 11.5 years until the world is destroyed my friend. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dinuba Dog said:

OP,  did you vote in the 2016 presidential election? If yes,who did you vote for?

I voted for Gary Johnson. With that, I realize Johnson lost his mind in the lead up to the election. I just couldn’t vote for either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 5/14/2019 at 7:00 PM, renoskier said:

This pretty much sums it up.  Numbers are not in their favor.  Stupid legal immigration.  Or as Fox host Laura Ingram so eloquently put it on her show.  

“In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn’t exist anymore,” Ingraham said on the cable network.Ingraham added: “Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don’t like,” she said. “From Virginia to California, we see stark examples of how radically in some ways the country has changed. Now, much of this is related to both illegal and in some cases legal immigration.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/09/laura-ingraham-fox-news-attacks-immigrants

22 hours ago, renoskier said:

I'm not talking about the relatively small pendulum swings between GOP and Dem administrations, I'm talking about the long term march toward a more "liberal" society which has been taking place since the founding of our nation.

For your point to be true, conservatives and liberals in this country have to be much more significantly different than then they are. This is why I think you are wrong. We're not much different from each other.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

8 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I voted for Gary Johnson. With that, I realize Johnson lost his mind in the lead up to the election. I just couldn’t vote for either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. 

Bill Weld should have been the #1 on that card but didn't have the name recognition that Johnson did.  This year he is trying to run as a Republican challenger to Trump.

5 minutes ago, alum93 said:

This pretty much sums it up.  Numbers are not in their favor.  Stupid legal immigration.  

If Republicans could ever get rid of the Xenophobia - they'd realize that most of the brown immigrants have the same religious traditions as they do and share a lot in common when it comes to social issues and family values.  

6 minutes ago, pokebball said:

For your point to be true, conservatives and liberals in this country have to be much more significantly different than then they are. This is why I think you are wrong. We're not much different from each other.

And yet, those differences that do exist are becoming increasingly important to how they identify themselves.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If Republicans could ever get rid of the Xenophobia - they'd realize that most of the brown immigrants have the same religious traditions as they do and share a lot in common when it comes to social issues and family values.  

Yeap.

18 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

And yet, those differences that do exist are becoming increasingly important to how they identify themselves.

For me, I think our differences make us stronger.  What we're missing more and more is the respect to have different opinions.  The stories I hear of families separating over politics saddens me.  It's OK to be different.  We want race tolerance to be this way.  I'm a very strong pro lifer and yet I don't hate pro choicers.  I respect them.  I try to convince them they are wrong and remain civil in doing so.  We need our differences.

2 minutes ago, pokebball said:

For me, I think our differences make us stronger.  What we're missing more and more is the respect to have different opinions.  The stories I hear of families separating over politics saddens me.  It's OK to be different.  We want race tolerance to be this way.  I'm a very strong pro lifer and yet I don't hate pro choicers.  I respect them.  I try to convince them they are wrong and remain civil in doing so.  We need our differences.

I believe you're sincere here. But I was more commenting on the strange situation we seem to be in as a country right now where we are homogenizing culturally in a lot of ways, and yet the things that are different seem to be amplified. Differences make you strong until those differences are irreconcilable. At a certain point, if a difference becomes a deal breaker, it doesn't make anything stronger.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I believe you're sincere here. But I was more commenting on the strange situation we seem to be in as a country right now where we are homogenizing culturally in a lot of ways, and yet the things that are different seem to be amplified. Differences make you strong until those differences are irreconcilable. At a certain point, if a difference becomes a deal breaker, it doesn't make anything stronger.

I think we're saying the same thing.  I'm focusing more on tolerance while you are on differences.