Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

How the Right Lost Its Mind

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Good read ... will undoubtedly piss off some of the radical right authoritarians.

https://www.libertarianism.org/media/free-thoughts/how-right-lost-its-mind?utm_content=91390717

Interesting article.  

The only point with which I disagree is I think the Republican’s did pull some of the “crazies” from the Democratic Party.  Trump completely rewrote the electoral map.  He dramatically flipped Appalachia such as West Virginia and Kentucky.   Pennsylvania and Ohio are now in play.   Between the Dems nominating Obama and Trump welcoming versus expelling the John Birch Society types a significant shift has occurred.  

I didn’t read or listen to the article.  However, I fine it strange bedfellows for me to support John Birch Society against the Constitutional Convention.  Even though giving state conventions a co-equal power with Executive/Congress/SCOTUS of the federal government is a mechanism for the right to gain absolute power, there was enough danger to our democratic process for this group to be against.  

I find that interesting and whenever there is a shift, there is greater possibility for volatility.

Maybe to generalistic, but as a county (people) we used to be suspicious about government.  Now we are more suspicious about each other.  That makes us idiots and at risk of losing our democracy.

13 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I didn’t read or listen to the article.  However, I fine it strange bedfellows for me to support John Birch Society against the Constitutional Convention.  Even though giving state conventions a co-equal power with Executive/Congress/SCOTUS of the federal government is a mechanism for the right to gain absolute power, there was enough danger to our democratic process for this group to be against.  

I find that interesting and whenever there is a shift, there is greater possibility for volatility.

Maybe to generalistic, but as a county (people) we used to be suspicious about government.  Now we are more suspicious about each other.  That makes us idiots and at risk of losing our democracy.

You showed up at the wrong stadium.  I listened to it during a frustrating commute this morning.  It was generally pretty good, some was good, some was elitist rubbish.  I start a 2 week vacation tomorrow, I think I will download and listen again on the plane.  Unfortunately, last day before vacation is pretty hectic and I don't have time to post my thoughts for now.

Maybe I will have a chance to finish this book

3f9027a2-8a01-46f6-9eaa-52070ef456d3_1.d

From an award-winning historian and regular Fox contributor, the true story of how Donald Trump has become one of the most successful presidents in history -- and why America needs him now more than ever

In The Case for Trump, award-winning historian and political commentator Victor Davis Hanson explains how a celebrity businessman with no political or military experience triumphed over sixteen well-qualified Republican rivals, a Democrat with a quarter-billion-dollar war chest, and a hostile media and Washington establishment to become president of the United States -- and an extremely successful president.

Trump alone saw a political opportunity in defending the working people of America's interior whom the coastal elite of both parties had come to scorn, Hanson argues. And Trump alone had the instincts and energy to pursue this opening to victory, dismantle a corrupt old order, and bring long-overdue policy changes at home and abroad. We could not survive a series of presidencies as volatile as Trump's. But after decades of drift, America needs the outsider Trump to do what normal politicians would not and could not do.Age Range:Adult

110926run_defense710.jpg

I disagree with the intial premise, that conservatives voted this way purely to be a proactive anti liberal aggressor. This last election 63 million or so voted a certain way. Have all 63 million lost their minds? No. Why did they vote that way. One reason is it was a reactive action stemming from the few decades of building establishment authoritarianism and a reactive action against the then emerging politically militant left. More and more people felt one of two ways or both. They either felt that Trump brought the hammer we finally needed to start demolishing the imprisoning establishment that was built, or they felt that they were beginning to be specifically targeted for their beliefs and needed to draw a line in the sand. And granted, there were some that voted for him because he had an R next to his name, such is the status quo on both sides. 

I have my own reasons why I voted for him. And I have my own beliefs. I call myself a traditional conservative but separate myself from the religious fanaticism that comes with that moniker. Although in this day and age my social and civics views are considered more liberatarian, while my foreign policy and national defense views are considered more conservative. Politicics are rarely black and white. People who vote on a singular issue or ignore the actual policies, actions, and results presented by an individual just because they don't like their personality......or those that vote specifically based on religious belief or those that vote specifically against religious belief.....these are examples of those that poison the voting booth. By turning their vote into a weapon if protest instead of a weapon of what's good for the nation

Yeah, article looks at traditional conservatism and then compares that to Trump, who is certainly not in that group.  But lets go look at the circumstances.  Dems attacked Trump the day after election, and they've been attacking Trump on everything regardless of what the actual policy is.  Attacking Trump and Trump supporters, attacking any and all who may support Trump.  So what do you expect to happen?   There is no more debate on actual policy issues, there is simply my side vs your side, whichever side that is.  

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

I've never heard two people say so little in so much time. No examples of what they are talking about. A lot of unfounded opinions and down-talking at lots of people. These two think they are very enlightened

I know what you mean, significant portions were very elitist condescending talk.  William F Buckley, gatekeeper - Lol

110926run_defense710.jpg

Sounds like a smart dude to me...

My [00:43:30] concern is that by the Trumpification of conservatism, also means that it will be toxified. That yes, you have these wins over the next four, maybe even seven years, but then because the conservative movement has been discredited by its association with Trump, that it ushers in decades of democratic dominance, a la what’s happened in California. I always have that image [00:44:00] in my mind of when California used to be bipartisan, and what’s it’s become now. Is that the model for the rest of the country? So that you have short term advantages, long term disadvantages.

If in fact the left snapped back to power in 2020, are they likely to be centrist or moderate, or are they likely to push the country towards single payer in reaction to Donald Trump? Also considering the way that Republicans are governing by ramming through legislation [00:44:30] on the narrowest of partisan margins with almost no due deliberation. Is there any reason to think the Democrats once in power will not act exactly the same way and perhaps even more aggressively, as each party ramps it up?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Good read ... will undoubtedly piss off some of the radical right authoritarians.

https://www.libertarianism.org/media/free-thoughts/how-right-lost-its-mind?utm_content=91390717

Yep. Tops nails it yet again. Lol

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

17 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Good stuff.

Begs the question: Are "Never Trump-ers" now considered RINO's?

I think your answer is above on this thread. 

26 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Good stuff.

Begs the question: Are "Never Trump-ers" now considered RINO's?

No, PL's for Pathetic Losers

or alternatively, WLB's for Whiny Little Bitches

or alternatively, Neocons because if you were to Venn diagram the 2 groups, they would form nearly concentric circles.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

"Why does it seem like politics now is more about attitude and tribal loyalty than ideas and discourse? "

"I often say that in order to understand the modern conservative movement you have to understand it is a persecution movement. "

that's about it.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

"Why does it seem like politics now is more about attitude and tribal loyalty than ideas and discourse? "

"I often say that in order to understand the modern conservative movement you have to understand it is a persecution movement. "

that's about it.

Yes, victims.

12 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Oh good, I don't want to be lumped in with those "johnny come lately's", I've been a proud RINO since 1993.

I get it. If you're not in the cult then that's what you are

24 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

So we're not allowed to disagree?

Who is allowing or disallowing on this thread? I looked above and I didn’t see any posts edited or removed.