Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Next MWC TV deal looking at Tuesday and Wednesday night games

3 hours ago, 1066 said:

The road to oblivion and self destruction includes Tuesday and Wednesday games for football. If per school revenue does not increase for all schools except Boise we are destined to be the western MAC. THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN.

Stunner, what is the status of the ESPN BYU talks They have been going on for over 2 months from what I can gather. What do you know or think?

27fjojP.jpg

giphy.gif

I think you guys are too negative about your new contract.

I believe ESPN is negotiating to boost ESPN+ and is willing to pay to get 
it started.

An agreement to place games on ESPN+ might also mean more games on TV along with
more money. If games are on Tuesday and Wednesday and there are more of them you get more exposure.

Aresco embraced ESPN+ early. That probably made negotiations go much better.

I am not saying this is the solution. Just, that there are ways.

Tuesday/Wednesday games will kill season and single-game ticket sales.  Very much a possibility that it will cut them in half.  I don't know how much veto power CSU has, but I'm sure they'll use it if they have it in that scenario unless there is a ton of money involved.  Canvas stadium generated $15.58 million in its first year of operation ($12.44 million net).  No way in hell do the folks in charge sign on to a midweek schedule for a couple of million dollars.  Way better off being on Stadium and playing on days and times that attract large crowds to Canvas. 

Not every MWC member is in the same boat.  In fact, there are a lot of different boats floating around the conference.  Boise sold it's soul to ESPN and got a very pretty penny for doing so, but are at ESPN's beck and call now.  I'm certain that SJSU is far more interested in TV dollars than game day atmosphere due to their low turnout.  The same can probably be said for a few other members.  I can almost guarantee that Wyo wants nothing but Saturday midday kickoffs. Many of their fans need an entire weekend to make attendance possible due to the time it takes to get to Laramie on horseback and weeknight games just don't work.

This is going to get very interesting as the brilliant minds at MWC headquarters struggle to address everyone's needs and still not miss a tee time.

Piss on ESPN/CBS. It’s not worth a couple of million to play on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Forget ESPN/CBS and play games on Saturday afternoons and evenings at ideal times like we used to do. Contract with local television to do the games. The increased attendance and local TV revenue would offset any loss from national TV. Our AD has already mentioned that possibility.

32 minutes ago, since1670 said:

I think you guys are too negative about your new contract.

I believe ESPN is negotiating to boost ESPN+ and is willing to pay to get 
it started.

An agreement to place games on ESPN+ might also mean more games on TV along with
more money. If games are on Tuesday and Wednesday and there are more of them you get more exposure.

Aresco embraced ESPN+ early. That probably made negotiations go much better.

I am not saying this is the solution. Just, that there are ways.

Explain to me how you get more exposure on a Tuesday or Wednesday on Pacific Time zone.  Nobody on the Mountain, Central, Eastern time zones is going to stay up and watch games unless they are retired or drunk.  Outside of SDSU, SJSU, and FSU,  UNLV, reno,  fans nobody is going to give two shits about MWC games on the Pacific time zone.  

I'm not against ESPN+ broadcasting those games i just don't buy the exposure argument.  Aresco embracing something in an Eastern time zone is a lot different than Craig Thompson embracing something in the Pacific time zone.

1 hour ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Explain to me how you get more exposure on a Tuesday or Wednesday on Pacific Time zone.  Nobody on the Mountain, Central, Eastern time zones is going to stay up and watch games unless they are retired or drunk.  Outside of SDSU, SJSU, and FSU,  UNLV, reno,  fans nobody is going to give two shits about MWC games on the Pacific time zone.  

I'm not against ESPN+ broadcasting those games i just don't buy the exposure argument.  Aresco embracing something in an Eastern time zone is a lot different than Craig Thompson embracing something in the Pacific time zone.

No one gives a shit about Tues/We'd games and the hour earlier in the Mountain time zone won't matter either. Those days should be a non starter

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Piss on ESPN/CBS. It’s not worth a couple of million to play on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Forget ESPN/CBS and play games on Saturday afternoons and evenings at ideal times like we used to do. Contract with local television to do the games. The increased attendance and local TV revenue would offset any loss from national TV. Our AD has already mentioned that possibility.

This is a good idea for Boise, not so good for the rest of the conference however. Schools like SJSU, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming and others may not be so open to the idea. It seems if Boise wanted to do this they may be better off and richer as an independent.

13 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Posted by a USU fan on the BYU board.  (below)

Biggest surprise was USU's AD telling the gathering that the next TV Deal might have Tuesday and Wednesday night games (implies ESPN is in play).   

When I've seen MAC games on those nights, attendance doesn't look good.   But it might get good TV ratings.

"I went to the road show in Pasadena Wednesday, and asked Hartwell about projections for the MWC’s new media deal. A couple of things were a bit of a surprise: 

1. I had always assumed Boise’s sweetheart deal had an expiration date — like at the expiration of the current media deal. It doesn’t. It continues in perpetuity. 

2. When I asked if per school revenue would increase, he was hopeful, but didn’t seem very convinced. 

3. He implied that part of the new deal may include games on tuesdays and Wednesdays — like the MAC. He clearly wasn’t happy about it, but didn’t say it was unacceptable. 
After the deal the AAC just signed, this was pretty disappointing."

3/10

kat.jpg

13 hours ago, 1066 said:

The road to oblivion and self destruction includes Tuesday and Wednesday games for football. If per school revenue does not increase for all schools except Boise we are destined to be the western MAC. THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN.

Stunner, what is the status of the ESPN BYU talks They have been going on for over 2 months from what I can gather. What do you know or think?

Friday night games are bad enough for attendance, but week day games are crazy. 

You also wouldn’t be able to practice if you came off a Sat game and 3 days later playing Tuesday night. The only good thing about it is there’s a lot of restaurants and bars that have the game on the TV with no competition. 

kat.jpg

10 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Tuesday/Wednesday games will kill season and single-game ticket sales.  Very much a possibility that it will cut them in half.  I don't know how much veto power CSU has, but I'm sure they'll use it if they have it in that scenario unless there is a ton of money involved.  Canvas stadium generated $15.58 million in its first year of operation ($12.44 million net).  No way in hell do the folks in charge sign on to a midweek schedule for a couple of million dollars.  Way better off being on Stadium and playing on days and times that attract large crowds to Canvas. 

Not every MWC member is in the same boat.  In fact, there are a lot of different boats floating around the conference.  Boise sold it's soul to ESPN and got a very pretty penny for doing so, but are at ESPN's beck and call now.  I'm certain that SJSU is far more interested in TV dollars than game day atmosphere due to their low turnout.  The same can probably be said for a few other members.  I can almost guarantee that Wyo wants nothing but Saturday midday kickoffs. Many of their fans need an entire weekend to make attendance possible due to the time it takes to get to Laramie on horseback and weeknight games just don't work.

This is going to get very interesting as the brilliant minds at MWC headquarters struggle to address everyone's needs and still not miss a tee time.

If you believe that Tuesday and Wednesday night games will hurt stadium attendance (which I do ), then the answer is simple.  Only schedule the lower attendance MWC teams on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Those programs have less to lose.  Give Tuesday/ Wednesday to SJSU, UNLV, UNM, USU, Nevada, and Wyoming.  Networks get their slots filled and everybody shares the TV $'s.

13 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If you believe that Tuesday and Wednesday night games will hurt stadium attendance (which I do ), then the answer is simple.  Only schedule the lower attendance MWC teams on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Those programs have less to lose.  Give Tuesday/ Wednesday to SJSU, UNLV, UNM, USU, Nevada, and Wyoming.  Networks get their slots filled and everybody shares the TV $'s.

Good luck with that.  Last year, MAC Division winners Buffalo and Northern Illinois and division runner up Miami led the way in both Tues/Wed appearances and home games, accounting for 6 of the 11 home games, and 10 of the 22 appearances. 

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

22 minutes ago, RSF said:

Good luck with that.  Last year, MAC Division winners Buffalo and Northern Illinois and division runner up Miami led the way in both Tues/Wed appearances and home games, accounting for 6 of the 11 home games, and 10 of the 22 appearances. 

You help make my argument.  Buffalo averaged 17,493, Miami 17,110, and Northern Illinois 11,019 last season.  Totals that would put them in the bottom half of the MWC.

With Traffic in the bay area, Tues/Wed games become almost impossible for people to attend. I live in Oakland, and with traffic could not make a 7pm game without leaving work really early or taking the day off. If the goal at schools is to increase attendance this would destroy that. The increase in money per school would have to be way larger than ESPN would be willing to pay to make it worth it.

47 minutes ago, SF-SJSU02 said:

With Traffic in the bay area, Tues/Wed games become almost impossible for people to attend. I live in Oakland, and with traffic could not make a 7pm game without leaving work really early or taking the day off. If the goal at schools is to increase attendance this would destroy that. The increase in money per school would have to be way larger than ESPN would be willing to pay to make it worth it.

Otherwise that’s stadium would be packed!!

If true, this is further proof that Thompson has stayed far too long and needs to go ASAP! The MWC is already grossly underpaid due to this idiot agreeing to a term that was far too long which has allowed the media rights owners to lock in a low rate for all these years. TV rights have gone up exponentially since the original MWC deal was signed, leaving the conference behind the curve. Thompson obviously has no foresight to see that the MWC provides something unique that these media outlets need which is not only quality content but quality content in a needed geographic / time zone.

To even entertain the notion that payouts may not increase after seeing what has been agreed to by other conferences is crazy talk. I also agree with those that see weekday games as an attendance and conference killer, even if it means a slight increase in payouts. If the major TV networks refuse to see the value in the MWC, then move ahead with streaming options. In any case, Thompson should have plenty to bargain with but it almost feels like he's not even aware of what the conference has accomplished.

3 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

If true, this is further proof that Thompson has stayed far too long and needs to go ASAP! The MWC is already grossly underpaid due to this idiot agreeing to a term that was far too long which has allowed the media rights owners to lock in a low rate for all these years. TV rights have gone up exponentially since the original MWC deal was signed, leaving the conference behind the curve. Thompson obviously has no foresight to see that the MWC provides something unique that these media outlets need which is not only quality content but quality content in a needed geographic / time zone.

To even entertain the notion that payouts may not increase after seeing what has been agreed to by other conferences is crazy talk. I also agree with those that see weekday games as an attendance and conference killer, even if it means a slight increase in payouts. If the major TV networks refuse to see the value in the MWC, then move ahead with streaming options. In any case, Thompson should have plenty to bargain with but it almost feels like he's not even aware of what the conference has accomplished.

I have said this for the last several years. Money paid out for G5 type conferences depends on viewer stats and only viewer stats. We do not have the TV numbers to support a major increase in income. We are in the wrong time zone. That means that our increase in payments, if there are any, will not be great.  However it can not mean that we will accept midweek games in football. That is a certain indication that we are in trouble and we simply must not accept it. We can only accept Saturday and occasionally Friday games. As to streaming or other options I truly believe we could get on ESPN plus. Plus may be our best hope for FB, BB and Olympics. My question would be how much would we be paid by ESPN for putting a majority of our offerings on plus? I don't trust Hair nor do I believe he is intelligent enough to do his job well. I hope to god I am wrong.  Hopefully we will hear something positive by the end of July or early August. Mayhap's we are making far too much of this. In any case there is nothing most of us can do but post on this board and hope for the best. For several years I posted in favor of a BOR conference on this board. Now I see that would be next to impossible under current conditions. Sorry for taking up your time with my posts re a BOR.

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

You help make my argument.  Buffalo averaged 17,493, Miami 17,110, and Northern Illinois 11,019 last season.  Totals that would put them in the bottom half of the MWC.

Let us also not forget about the millions of fans watching MWACTION on Tuesday and Wednesday Nights from establishments like Buffalo Wild Wings. They don't show up on a stat sheet.

aL5UHrb.png

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The only good thing about it is there’s a lot of restaurants and bars that have the game on the TV with no competition. 

I think this point doesn't get considered enough. The bars provide a very captive audience for untapped MWC fans.

aL5UHrb.png

giphy.gif