Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney looks to acquire NFL sunday ticket for ESPN +

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I know some people at work were excited to see it with their kids. Or at least that is what they are saying......I am thinking they want to see it themselves and are dragging the kids with them. L

Happy Mother's Day to the three of them

Yea I wanted to see it anyway, but getting to the movies can be a hassle with a toddler so I would have skipped it if my daughter didn’t watch the trailer with me. Now she keeps asking when we are going to see “pika pika” lol. 

11 hours ago, Balzac said:

I’m not sure when ESPN negotiations start but I don’t think it’ll be hard to get on ESPN+. The CAA had an ESPN+ offer but took more money from FloSports.

Perhaps Hair (MWC) should try FloSports too. They did a good job on the Askren-Burroughs wrestling match. If FloSports is offering more money that may be the way to go.

Flo sports is reputed to be the worst there is. I am a FC Cincinnati fan and I know the FCC fans are up in arms at the lack of quality and general incompetence of Flo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent a few minutes checking the CAA\bbs site as they are on Flo. Here are some of the posts about FloSports:

That $12.50 a month is the annual rate breakdown

True monthly is $30/month 

$12.50 a month for CAA and ESPN + is $5 and has a lot more conferences and content. Which one would appeal to more users? 

D.C. United has a FloSports deal and the supporters HATE it. First match was a technical nightmare and the barrier of entry is entirely too high — made worse by how people outside DC can watch on ESPN+ 

Unless Flo gets popular in a hurry, cuts the price in a hurry or does something else dramatic in a hurry, my guess is a lot of CAA fans will be saying

Yep.
FC Cincinnati also is with FLO Sports and the reviews are just as negative. The CAA could have done a simple search to read the horror stories. 

Ask pro wrestling fans about the FloSlam debacle 

And DAZN is giving you premium content. Paying more for FloSports for the CAA is dumb 

Flosports is really bad. Like alienate your entire fanbase because your paying $30 a month to watch crappy streams load bad.

The FC Cincinnati fanbase practically revolted when they announced them as a streaming partner. This resulted in the front office having to come out and make public comments specifically on the issue with Flosports making concessions. Keep in mind FCC has a free local broadcast over the air for every game... 

At least you guys still have the OTA broadcast. DCU actually replaced its OTA (most recently on the all-news subchannel of the ABC affiliate) with this Flo ****. How do you sign Wayne Rooney and then trip over yourself to throw up a huge-ass barrier to entry for those supporters he could be creating? 

I hope the CAA knows what it's doing. If they're taking money up front over a lower-paying but more reliable OTA/streaming option, they could regret it in a hurry. 

Apparently the CAA wanted the ability for schools to do their own traditional TV with RSNs, and the other options weren't paying as much as Flo was offering. I think the deal officially goes into effect in July, which might explain why the CAA is not listed on the FloSports website right now. I'm not sure what to think of the deal, and probably won't have an idea until the first CAA games in the fall. Based on the reviews for other sports/teams, especially DC United, I'm keeping my expectations low. At least we are getting paid though... I guess. 

ESPN+ is the safe choice. You might not get much money and you lose the RSN ability, but it's a lot easier to convince your fans to spend $5 a month for a known quantity that offers a ton of recognizable sports options than $12 to $30 a month for a niche streamer with a bad reputation. Plus you have an outside chance at getting non-CAA fans to tune in if they're already in the app, particularly the cord cutters using ESPN+ as their primary college-sports carrier. 

Football only members gonna be stuck paying $90 bucks for 8 games on Flo. Sucks for them. 

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea I wanted to see it anyway, but getting to the movies can be a hassle with a toddler so I would have skipped it if my daughter didn’t watch the trailer with me. Now she keeps asking when we are going to see “pika pika” lol. 

lol that's cute. Probably more for the little ones.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/5/8/18535613/college-sports-tv-deals-colonial-athletic-mwc

1066 is pretty spot on with the issues with FloSports.  I hope the MWC doesn't go with FloSports either but the CAA is going to be the first all streaming conference this fall.  We will see how things shake out with CAA fans this fall.

I am really pulling for the MWC big time in this case because what the MWC does, the Pac-12 will probably do in 2024.  Think there could be announcements during the MWC football media days this summer?  Would make sense since fans have contracts with their cable/dish companies to consider.

26 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/06/nfl-rumors-is-nfl-sunday-ticket-headed-to-streaming-service-amazon-espn-dazn-in-the-mix.html

Updates on the whole Sunday Ticket thing...

If it either drops the price, or is like an MLB.tv deal, that'd be really awesome. 

If ESPN+ gets it, I'm sure there will be a price increase on the subscription cost of ESPN+...I'm pondering getting the yearly sub to lock the price for a year.

On 5/11/2019 at 12:34 AM, SalinasSpartan said:

Why doesn’t the NFL just keep all its digital rights, invest in developing the technology to start its own streaming service, and then put Sunday Ticket on that? 

Thats honestly where I think this is all heading for major content owners/producers.  You're  already seeing it with Disney, ESPN, and CBS.    

18 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Thats honestly where I think this is all heading for major content owners/producers.  You're  already seeing it with Disney, ESPN, and CBS.    

Not with sports you're not.  MLB started down that road with BAMTech...and then they sold it to ESPN, which is using it as the backbone for ESPN+ (and the backbone for Disney+, since they are the same company).  Simpler for the leagues to sell the content and collect the checks.  And no upfront costs.  No sports league acts as its own distributor, nor are any headed in that direction currently.  Not even the mighty NFL, which has instead been partnering with existing services such as Amazon to dip its toe into the streaming waters.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 hours ago, RSF said:

Not with sports you're not.  MLB started down that road with BAMTech...and then they sold it to ESPN, which is using it as the backbone for ESPN+ (and the backbone for Disney+, since they are the same company).  Simpler for the leagues to sell the content and collect the checks.  And no upfront costs.  No sports league acts as its own distributor, nor are any headed in that direction currently.  Not even the mighty NFL, which has instead been partnering with existing services such as Amazon to dip its toe into the streaming waters.

Not yet they arent.  Streaming still represents a fraction of the linear TV audience.  Yes, its gaining popularity, but its still not where the big money is for sports.  When the day comes that streaming dwarfs linear tv---thats when it happens.