Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

New BB Rules

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-05-10/proposal-would-extend-3-point-line-mens-basketball

-Further 3 point line (international)

-Shorter shot clock on offensive rebounds (20 instead of 30 seconds)

-Coaches allowed to call timeout in final 2 minutes of halves.

-Flagrant 2 for hate speech. (Not sure how this would work given the    prevalence of certain words in the vernacular of college basketball players.)

16 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Flagrant 2 for hate speech. (Not sure how this would work given the    prevalence of certain words in the vernacular of college basketball players.)

Our society is becoming soft. 😑

15 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

-Flagrant 2 for hate speech. (Not sure how this would work given the    prevalence of certain words in the vernacular of college basketball players.)

What if someone uses a  language besides English? Are they gonna stop the game and "google" what was said (I doubt refs are fluent in all languages). What defines "hate speech"? What is the review process for this? If a ref says they heard something but the players denies it? Do they need audio evidence to confirm it (aren't flagrant fouls reviewed)?

17 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-05-10/proposal-would-extend-3-point-line-mens-basketball

-Further 3 point line (international)

-Shorter shot clock on offensive rebounds (20 instead of 30 seconds)

-Coaches allowed to call timeout in final 2 minutes of halves.

live ball timeouts only in the second half and overtime.

51 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

So now refs have to decide what is and is not hate speech on a basketball court?

The article says...

• The committee recommended players be assessed a Flagrant 2 technical foul and ejected should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.

So yeah...

Oh good. Now the rules committee is grandstanding. Why don’t they work on the flopping offensive fouls first? That’s ruining the game. 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:47 PM, Spot50B said:

Hope so. 

I was thinking more along the lines of a black player saying something like nice move nigga to another black player and getting t’d up. I don’t like the rule. They already can call a technical for whatever they want. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:59 PM, Wyovanian said:

Substitute the words "thought crime" for "hate speech" and it all makes sense.

I fear for future generations in a 100 years where they can monitor what players are thinking, as well, as if you had just said it out loud.

I never understood the whole hate speech mentality. If it’s important enough to make the punishment tougher for someone that’s prejudiced, it’s important enough to make it tougher for everyone else that committed the same crime. The whole mind police shit is so alarming. It makes cop work more complicated and costs more money to deal with. That had to have originated in CA. 

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

It seems like the game just comes down to getting high % points under the basket or at the 3 pt line. You don’t see a lot of mid jumper shots like you used to.

That's why they need to move the 3 point line back.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Why will this make the game better?

Eye of the beholder i guess.  It will drop the percentage of made 3s and also 3s taken,  meaning it will make other areas of the game like mid range jumper percentage, steals, deflections, rebounds, etc, more impactful.  Right now the shot is too easy at that level and you can win a lot of other stats but still lose because of that shot only.   I think it will give us better games overall.