Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Team specific message boards

29 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm told that I have a FB page. 

I must have gotten drunk one night or something.

You should go find it bud, you might have been horny sexting, or naked video chatting.  You may be trending on some internet sex site right now and don’t even know it!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I think there are a few reasons for the decline of message boards in general for sports:

#1.  Like previously mentioned, FB, Twitter, and other mediums

#2.  It is pretty difficult these days to have much of a conversation online.  You will usually get 3-4 quality posts and then just a bunch of shit posts.  I know some sites like this message board have always had trolls and sock accounts, but people don't even seem to put as much effort into those anymore.  This message board used to have some really clever and fun trolls, not so much anymore.  

#3.  Decline of interest in sports in general.  I don't have any stats to back this up, and maybe it is because I am getting older, but people seem less enthused about the NFL, college football, MLB, etc.  For college football, I think the amount of money now involved in multiple facets (cost of going to games, on going facilities war, coaches salaries, etc) has lessened interest as well as the changes for money like conference realignment.  It has pushed people away and with all sorts of things to occupy people's time, sports just don't rank as high.  It will be interesting to see what happens as the Boomer generation dies out because at a lot of universities, that is where a large part of the support comes from.  I don't know if younger generations are as well connected to their university and if they will have the means like the Boomers had.  It is just a different economic climate than it used to be.  

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I've never had Facebook, but I'm on Twitter.  I'm also on LinkedIn which I despise with every fiber of my being.

I can’t imagine something like LinkedIn causing so much distress in one’s life. 

7 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I think there are a few reasons for the decline of message boards in general for sports:

#1.  Like previously mentioned, FB, Twitter, and other mediums

#2.  It is pretty difficult these days to have much of a conversation online.  You will usually get 3-4 quality posts and then just a bunch of shit posts.  I know some sites like this message board have always had trolls and sock accounts, but people don't even seem to put as much effort into those anymore.  This message board used to have some really clever and fun trolls, not so much anymore.  

#3.  Decline of interest in sports in general.  I don't have any stats to back this up, and maybe it is because I am getting older, but people seem less enthused about the NFL, college football, MLB, etc.  For college football, I think the amount of money now involved in multiple facets (cost of going to games, on going facilities war, coaches salaries, etc) has lessened interest as well as the changes for money like conference realignment.  It has pushed people away and with all sorts of things to occupy people's time, sports just don't rank as high.  It will be interesting to see what happens as the Boomer generation dies out because at a lot of universities, that is where a large part of the support comes from.  I don't know if younger generations are as well connected to their university and if they will have the means like the Boomers had.  It is just a different economic climate than it used to be.  

I miss the old MWC board.. It was  a gladiator forum but lots of people from all over and some really good trolls. WAC board was great too. I’ve known some posters here for over 15 years. I was talking shit to guys like 8588(Tedford Train), Warbow, and Slapdad a lifetime ago. But I think as I get older I’ve turned into one of those people that thinks everything in the past was better.

I used to be a major die hard. I knew every player and recruit from every team, and it would take me a week to get over a loss. Now I’m a casual fan and I’m over a loss 5 seconds after it’s over. I get more joy from seeing Boise St basketball do well now a days. Wasn’t sure if college football lost its luster or if it was just me.

I think for some of the younger guys, over time (years), this stuff gets old after a while.  By that I mean, you want to get past some of the junior high shenanigans that some die-hards here can't seem to let go of.  Also, the rhetoric changes... and yet stays the same.  

For SJSU fans, sure, we're tired of all the losing.  On a base level, that's not at all conducive to posting in the first place (here or elsewhere).  All we hear about here is that we're not wanted.  I get that, but the fact is we're still here.  Ultimately, I think that adds up to (virtually) no participation from SJSU fans.  I can't speak to other fan bases (although it's widely known that many miss the competitiveness that Utah, TCU and BYU brought to the table), but I find I find it laughable that many here think that, without SJSU in the conference, that many, if not all, MWC problems are magically solved.  Far and away, we're the most convenient scapegoat, but the fact of the matter is that even without SJSU you're still stuck on the outside looking in (G5).  Moreover, you don't magically get 3 or 4 NCAA bids every year, or make it to P6 Bowls, because we're suddenly gone.  The problems run far deeper than that, e.g., lukewarm Western U.S. fan bases, (by and large) small markets, late game times, etc.   Those are "structural" problems that, IMO, wont ever change.  

Anyway, I know the usual rags here will respond negatively to this.  I expect that, so have at it.  I don't really care about that.  I just care abut our Athletic's program improving - wherever we are.  And for now at least, we're here, so I want that improvement to be to both SJSU's and the MWC's benefit...     

1 hour ago, sjsbuff said:

I think for some of the younger guys, over time (years), this stuff gets old after a while.  By that I mean, you want to get past some of the junior high shenanigans that some die-hards here can't seem to let go of.  Also, the rhetoric changes... and yet stays the same.  

For SJSU fans, sure, we're tired of all the losing.  On a base level, that's not at all conducive to posting in the first place (here or elsewhere).  All we hear about here is that we're not wanted.  I get that, but the fact is we're still here.  Ultimately, I think that adds up to (virtually) no participation from SJSU fans.  I can't speak to other fan bases (although it's widely known that many miss the competitiveness that Utah, TCU and BYU brought to the table), but I find I find it laughable that many here think that, without SJSU in the conference, that many, if not all, MWC problems are magically solved.  Far and away, we're the most convenient scapegoat, but the fact of the matter is that even without SJSU you're still stuck on the outside looking in (G5).  Moreover, you don't magically get 3 or 4 NCAA bids every year, or make it to P6 Bowls, because we're suddenly gone.  The problems run far deeper than that, e.g., lukewarm Western U.S. fan bases, (by and large) small markets, late game times, etc.   Those are "structural" problems that, IMO, wont ever change.  

Anyway, I know the usual rags here will respond negatively to this.  I expect that, so have at it.  I don't really care about that.  I just care abut our Athletic's program improving - wherever we are.  And for now at least, we're here, so I want that improvement to be to both SJSU's and the MWC's benefit...     

Those are "structural" problems that, IMO, wont ever change. What will never change is SJ getting better

I think as you age you lose enthusiasm for a lot of things, sports just being one of them. I still enjoy going to the games, but I’m not nearly as rabid as I used to be. Then things have changed a lot. All the conference hopping and the P5s getting the biggest chunk of resources has soured me. The NCAA has become a sham. They are as corrupt as some of the schools they are supposed to regulate. The younger fans don’t seem to care much about their school teams these days. The cost to attend has also resulted in the loss of fans.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see college and pro sports fade into the sunset 50 years from now. 

On 5/9/2019 at 11:25 PM, IanforHeisman said:

BroncoCountry is a ghost town 

Wonder why. I used to be a die hard and now I don’t really give a shit but I don’t think most fans went that route. Or maybe they have.

Most of the bronco fans moved onto grindr and snapchat from what i hear

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

I need to get my @kalua pig, @Dr.Dre, @Nevada Hal And @RebelRobert accounts going again. That may bring people back.

oh almost forgot about my @robe account.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Wyonation is probably down about 90% as well.  Message boards are becoming an outdated form of communication and are going there  way of AOL instant messenger, MySpace and internet chat rooms. 

Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter have replaced dedicated message boards for anyone under 25.  So there is no longer a stream of new users, students and recent grads anymore on message board platforms.   I actually find it funny that Facebook is being blamed because if you said that to someone under 25 they would laugh at you (Facebook is rarely used amongst the youth of today for social media and communication as compared to other mediums). 

1 hour ago, Warbow said:

I need to get my @kalua pig, @Dr.Dre, @Nevada Hal And @RebelRobert accounts going again. That may bring people back.

oh almost forgot about my @robe account.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the board is about 10 actual people and a bunch of socks. 

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Reddit is the third most visited site on the internet and it’s a message board. Message boards still have a place, but Twitter has certainly cut into some areas that message boards used to take up. 

50 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Reddit is the third most visited site on the internet and it’s a message board. Message boards still have a place, but Twitter has certainly cut into some areas that message boards used to take up. 

Yeah well if you had MWCgonewild female posters on this board traffic would be up also.

59 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

There are some school boards on Reddit too.  I feel like younger people would probably go there rather than say WyoNation or Donk Country.  

On 5/10/2019 at 3:47 AM, Nevada Convert said:

You’re surprised that people got fed up with Rafter and bailed? 

Personally, I never had a problem with Rafter. I just got annoyed with a number of asshole posters over there. Stopped being worth dealing with them.

45 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

Personally, I never had a problem with Rafter. I just got annoyed with a number of asshole posters over there. Stopped being worth dealing with them.

Rafter was intolerant of anyone who posted anything contrary to what the other fools on the board posted or liked and would ban people for it. He was the Anthony of BC. That’s the beauty of this board and the WAC board before it...it isn’t just one school’s fans and you can have an opposing view. 

4 hours ago, godogsgo said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the board is about 10 actual people and a bunch of socks. 

I try to have at least one sock for every fan base.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

In the past with message boards you would always have people coming and going, but now they are just going. I think a big reason is that people don’t want to have a login for every single topic they want to discuss, which makes social media and Reddit preferable to message boards.