Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: Running 2019 MLB Highlights Thread

On 5/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Astros playing really well right now.. I think me and @Slapdad are the only fans here. They need another back end starter to step up, some good arms in the minors but I don’t think they’re ready. Rumors of Mad Bum coming in a trade but I hope not.

I have been hearing a lot of Mad Bum to Philadelphia rumors with one report I read the two teams have might already started some discussions about a trade. 

I just don't see Mad Bum going to Houston actually

So here is a question for everyone,

Minnesota, Houston and LA Dodgers already have double digit leads in their divisions. How will this affect those teams, with it only being early June and already having a big lead in their division. Will they continue the status quo or will they lay off a bit and maybe get caught?

On 6/5/2019 at 10:57 PM, wolfpack1 said:

II just don't see Mad Bum going to Houston actually

They'd match up well in a trade though. SF could grab 2 top prospects (Alvarez and Whitley maybe?) and couple lotto picks and Houston's farm system matches up with SF's organizational needs. 

Plus, what a postseason rotation that'd be...Verlander/MadBum/Cole in the playoffs. Would be crazy. As an A's fan it would be terrible because it would absolutely cinch the division for the Stros, but there's no denying that'd be a crazy rotation to have. Especially with their lineup (when it's healthy). 

12 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They'd match up well in a trade though. SF could grab 2 top prospects (Alvarez and Whitley maybe?) and couple lotto picks and Houston's farm system matches up with SF's organizational needs. 

Plus, what a postseason rotation that'd be...Verlander/MadBum/Cole in the playoffs. Would be crazy. As an A's fan it would be terrible because it would absolutely cinch the division for the Stros, but there's no denying that'd be a crazy rotation to have. Especially with their lineup (when it's healthy). 

I don’t see any way the Astros part with either.. They gave up much less for Verlander. I do think Kyle Tucker isn’t untouchable anymore, but I just don’t see the Astros being players for Mad Bum. They do need another SP though.

2 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I don’t see any way the Astros part with either.. They gave up much less for Verlander. I do think Kyle Tucker isn’t untouchable anymore, but I just don’t see the Astros being players for Mad Bum. They do need another SP though.

They absolutely do. The 5th Starter position is a black hole. They could also make a play for Stroman from Toronto. There's a history of deals recently between the two clubs. 

Hard to say what they'd give up. But MadBum is nails in the postseason. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Here :hookah::hookah::hookah:

At one point in one of the later innings (bottom of 7th or 8th), I yelled out, "yer glove's KILLIN' ME Bruce!" He immediately took it from where it had been resting it pretty much every pitch - on his knee - and hid it across his body while just perceptibly shaking his head. About a half-dozen people around me noticed it and we all laughed about it. 

A couple weeks ago, when Blake Swihart crashed into the wall in the bottom of the 1st, allowing the ball to pop out of his glove and giving Aztec4Life Ty France a double, someone several seats over and up a row or tow yelled, "NICE CATCH, SWEATHEART!" That shit stuck like white on rice for the next six innings.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

The Astros need a back end starter and that is to much to give for MudMum for that situation. I think Marcus Stroman could be a more logical choice for Houston or maybe they will want to make a run at someone they will only have for a few months like Zack Wheeler from NYM. Or possibly they could look inside the division as well, which I don't know if it would happen, but something to look at. If injured starters come back to the A's, they could be flush with starting pitching and really unless Oakland makes another run like they did with their 10 game winning streak, which really didn't accomplish much for them other than getting to 500 again, AL West race I think is over at this point for Oakland. Someone like Brett Anderson could fit in for them with a fifth starter

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

The Astros need a back end starter and that is to much to give for MudMum for that situation. I think Marcus Stroman could be a more logical choice for Houston or maybe they will want to make a run at someone they will only have for a few months like Zack Wheeler from NYM. Or possibly they could look inside the division as well, which I don't know if it would happen, but something to look at. If injured starters come back to the A's, they could be flush with starting pitching and really unless Oakland makes another run like they did with their 10 game winning streak, which really didn't accomplish much for them other than getting to 500 again, AL West race I think is over at this point for Oakland. Someone like Brett Anderson could fit in for them with a fifth starter

Barring something crazy the A's won't be sellers. Thank God for the 2nd Wild Card spot...

Wheeler would be a good pickup for the Stros though. 

28 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Barring something crazy the A's won't be sellers. Thank God for the 2nd Wild Card spot...

Wheeler would be a good pickup for the Stros though. 

Not sellers in a sense but let's say you have 7 starters on your rotation, and you would have to place one on waivers or release him, let's say an example of Brett Anderson, I would probably shop him around to see if I could get something for him. 

Maybe two others Houston could look at is Tanner Roark from Cincy who is free agent after this season and since Miami continues to fire sale maybe Jose Urena? He is young and might fit in as a 5th starter down the stretch

Padres with the walk-off win tonight.

'Nando El Niño Tiburoncito goes 3 for 4 with an HR in his 2nd night back. Since returning, he has an OBP of 1.125. The Padres are a different team with him in the lineup.

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Padres with the walk-off win tonight.

'Nando El Niño Tiburoncito goes 3 for 4 with an HR in his 2nd night back. Since returning, he has an OBP of 1.125. The Padres are a different team with him in the lineup.

He's a beast. And those brown uniforms are +++++ing great. 

9 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

He's a beast. And those brown uniforms are +++++ing great. 

He was leading us in every offensive category when he went down with the pulled hammy in DC. We were a .650 club with him, a sub-.500 club without. I have no expectations of catching the Doyjers at this point, but I think we've got a damn good chance of securing a wildcard and at least getting a shot at the postseason.

Re: the brown unis...

1 hour ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Padres are going to brown and gold full-time next year.

I'm ambivalent about it. I never once wanted a piece of old school brown/yellow gear as a little kid - not even when they made their first WS run in '84. I thought they were uglyAF then and think they were uglAF now. It was only the following year, when they changed to the white/brown pinstripes with the burnt orange logo that I ever wanted my first Padres hat. I still have one from a few years later. But I dig on the Friday-night brown/yellow unis they wear now, even if I still can't wear those damn brown/yellow lids...

Their OG colors in the PCL were navy and reddish-orange - the same combo they adapted in the '90s. I've been perfectly stoked on the navy/white/sand camo unis they've been rolling with in one form or another for years now. The navy on white, tho generic in many ways, is sharp as f*ck.

Majority owner Ron Fowler apparently isn't too stoked on the browns either, though he is willing to roll with the fans' decision. He told (U-T columnist) Nick Canepa that he planned on minimizing the brown on the standard unis ("with a lot of white" IIRC). Anyway, here's an image of variants that were focus-group tested according to accounts:

D0lXJR0XcAI3794.jpg:large

On 6/7/2019 at 12:02 AM, Joe from WY said:

Gs could trade Bumgarner and Will Smith in a package and they’d get a hell of a good return...

Dodgers are just coasting through the west right now and will probably clinch it in August. Their pitching is solid but not great. They have five good starters with two more in the bull pen. With Kershaw declining they could use another ace plus a good setup man in the bull pen. Rye is carrying the load now. Another good right handed bat would help too when the playoffs start. Bellinger is starting to cool off as Seager gets hot.