Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: Running 2019 MLB Highlights Thread

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Did you hear the one about the two priests who went to the ballpark? In every MLB city?

The set-up sounds like a bad joke, but it's legit.

That does sound like a setup but that is pretty cool. I think they are getting better seats than my co-workers boyfriend does

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/sources-rays-explore-playing-montreal

Rays to explore playing part of the year in Montreal...

Seems like a bad idea, they'd be better off moving the whole team to Montreal, rebranding as the Expos, and moving them to the NL. You could then move Milwaukee to the AL, put them in the Central, and move Cleveland to the East. 

Cool Days of Summer story...

So a couple years ago, Padres farm product Logan Allen was eating in a Tampa steakhouse with a buddy and they noticed John Cena was at a nearby table with two guests. I'm guessing Allen and/or his buddy probably approached Cena as people are known to do to celebrities, but regardless of how the conversation started, it turns out both Cena and Allen share something in common - siblings with severe health issues. 

By the end of the conversation, Cena and Allen made a gentleman's bet for $1 on whether or not Logan Allen would make it to the big leagues.

Well, on Tuesday night the #40-something prospect in the minors was called up to make his major league debut. And John Cena was at Petco to watch him pitch. The camera during the game kept cutting back to Cena, who wasn't just there - he was actively rooting for Logan. He stuck around for the entire game - he didn't just want to see Logan pitch, he stayed to make sure he locked down his first W in the majors (which he did), and stuck around to celebrate the win with the Allen family.

There's something eminently relatable to stories like this.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, 406WarriorFan said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/sources-rays-explore-playing-montreal

Seems like a bad idea, they'd be better off moving the whole team to Montreal, rebranding as the Expos, and moving them to the NL. You could then move Milwaukee to the AL, put them in the Central, and move Cleveland to the East. 

Yeah that’s super weird. Might as well just leave Tampa all together. Montreal had a team, about as popular as the Rays are in Florida.

Mexico City would fill a stadium but it would be hard to get players to wanna live there.

Just now, IanforHeisman said:

Yeah that’s super weird. Might as well just leave Tampa all together. Montreal had a team, about as popular as the Rays are in Florida.

Mexico City would fill a stadium but it would be hard to get players to wanna live there.

With Mount Royal actually having a competent team...and not having the Loria's own it and sabotage them at every turn, they might draw some crowds again.

Just now, 406WarriorFan said:

With Mount Royal actually having a competent team...and not having the Loria's own it and sabotage them at every turn, they might draw some crowds again.

Never been but Montreal looks like a fun city to live in. Baseball doesn’t seem immensely popular in Canada and I wonder how fans would turn out after a season or two. Domed stadiums suck too. 

But who knows, if it’s really being considered they must feel confident in the potential fan base.

9 hours ago, 406WarriorFan said:

I think Milwaukee would have a fit if MLB made them switch leagues again. With possible expansion on the horizon, any team that moves needs to make the best of it until new teams are added and then sort it out.  

Ending to the A's game was nuts tonight. Down 4-1 in the 9th after Treinen blew a gem by Frankie Montas, they got one run in to make it 4-2, and then, Chapman hit a walk off, 3-run blast to send everyone home happy. (Well, except the Rays I guess)

11 hours ago, 406WarriorFan said:

It's like they don't want any fans at all with a plan like that. 

I was hoping the Ybor City plan would work out, but it didn't. Now, honestly, they should just move to Montreal full time, otherwise they're stuck at Slopicana for the next 7 years or so. Of course, they'd probably have to sue St. Petersburg to get out of the lease, but it could happen. 

Florida is just not a good state for pro baseball. Spring Training? Absolutely. Regular Season? A dumpster fire. 

11 hours ago, 406WarriorFan said:

MLB wants a team by in Montreal. Rays, Marlins and A's were names being mentioned for Montreal. Marlins were sold, looks like the A's are getting their stadium so that leaves Rays now. So really it is not that surprising of a move to do this. I am thinking this might be the first step in getting a team back in Montreal.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, 406WarriorFan said:

I'd move Detroit to the East rather than Cleveland.  When Tampa came into the league in 1998 the Detroit Tigers moved from the AL East to the AL Central and the Milwaukee Brewers switched from the AL Central to the NL Central.  So just undo this.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:27 PM, Slapdad said:

I think Milwaukee would have a fit if MLB made them switch leagues again. With possible expansion on the horizon, any team that moves needs to make the best of it until new teams are added and then sort it out.  

As a lifelong Twins fan I'd welcome the Brewers back to the division.

I think MLB, if inviting anyone else, will try to keep the divisions they way they are. If Tampa moved to Montreal they would remain in the AL East I think and actually probably would cut down travel for the teams in their division. Now if a team from from the West to the East or vice versa than MLB would have an interesting decision to make on the divisional point. 

I think there was talk for a tiny bit about switching Arizona and Houston but that didn't go far. Unless a major shakeup for expansion or a team moving, I think the divisions are pretty set for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Astros have hit a wall, lost 5 in a row. Middle relief is booty cheeks, 5th starter needed ASAP.

Things like this happen during a season. The Astros had not one but two 10 win streaks this season. You just don't see that but in baseball world a lot of times things have a way to even out a little bit. This is their longest streak of the season but out of 6 games, 4 of the games were low scoring games which to me at least shows that the hitting has been slumping a bit more than the pitching. 

But I will bring up the point I did last month, I wouldn't be surprised that the players maybe took their foot off the gas a bit when they were already up 10+ games in their division at the end of May. Sometimes it is hard to keep a team's attention when things go like that. But at this point I wouldn't worry or push a panic button if I was Houston.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, 406WarriorFan said:

giphy.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg