Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Examining Las Vegas As A............

7 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think it’d be a train wreck. Not only would I be concerned about attracting fans for 81 home games, but Vegas isn’t a big TV market, which means a crappy TV deal making it incredibly hard to build a consistent winner. Local deals don’t exist in the NFL, and in the NHL they matter much less since there is a salary cap and floor, so the TV market size isn’t much of a hindrance in those leagues. 

The size of the LV TV market is the biggest reason baseball won’t work. 

10 hours ago, trvitmvnz said:

Would love to see Portland get an NFL Franchise as well. Fan Support isn't an issue there and in San Antonio 

Interestingly, there is far less talk of an NFL franchise around here. 

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Interestingly, there is far less talk of an NFL franchise around here. 

Yeah I know. I think Portland can support an NFL franchise like they support the Blazers & Timbers 

Related image

MLB could work in LV 

1) Retractable dome stadium - April, May, September could be open

2) Stadium that seats 33,000-36,000 tops - No need to have a huge venue, keep the seating at a higher premium 

3) LV area is a pretty decent baseball market putting guys in minors & MLB - Bryce Harper Phillies (Las Vegas HS & College of Southern NV), Kris Bryant Cubs (Bonanza HS) Tommy Pham Rays (Durango HS), Joey gallo Rangers (Gorman HS) and more than a few others 

4) Baseball tickets can be had for under $20 where nosebleed VGK tix go for $100+ on secondary market

5) As with the VGK & probably Raiders, tourists will attend games and unlike NHL & NFL, MLB plays a series of games so people can make it a 2, 3, 4 or 7 day trip if they choose

6 hours ago, NVGiant said:

The size of the LV TV market is the biggest reason baseball won’t work. 

This might be the biggest concern - Vegas is isolated somewhat with not much population within a 2 hour drive and the farther reaches of the market are adjacent to the D-Backs, Dodgers & Angels territories - Las Vegas market would need to encompass the growing SW Utah areas of St George, Hurricane & Cedar City which are Iron & Washington Counties that have an estimated population of 51,001 & 165,662 respectively (216,663 combined) 

To the SE you'd have Mohave County AZ which encompasses Kingman, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu which has a population of 207,200 but how much ties these places have to the D-Backs is a question - This county is part of the VGK TV territory 

There's really nothing population wise to the north in NV as Lincoln County only has 5,223 population - Nye with Pahurmp being the major population center has 44,202 with probably 35K+ of that one hour away from LV

SW you get into Dodger & Angels territories so nothing at all down the I-15 corridor

Personally I'd love a MLB team to land here, but MLB would have the most hurdles to overcome and need to most investment ............NBA could land here in two months, have a place to play and set up shop with little new construction costs other than a practice/HQ facility 

I'd guess NBA would be the next thing to land in LV - Even MLS has stadium building issues that would need to be figured out - NBA could get a deal in T-Mobile in a short time 

16 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

People said hockey wouldn't work in Vegas. Seems like that was wrong.

MLB would be the one pro sport I would want here. 

No one said that. Vegas knew hockey would work because its indoors and also previous lower level hockey teams like the thunder and wranglers crushed.

Even with a winning team, Vegas fans filed out of a playoff game early.

Vegas isnt as big on supporting a loser.

They are all good ideas until the team wins 40 games and the stadium sits empty except when the yankees dodgers and cubs are in town.

Vegas would crush visitor attendance, but for all those games? I doubt it. Vegas is so fickle.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

This might be the biggest concern - Vegas is isolated somewhat with not much population within a 2 hour drive and the farther reaches of the market are adjacent to the D-Backs, Dodgers & Angels territories - Las Vegas market would need to encompass the growing SW Utah areas of St George, Hurricane & Cedar City which are Iron & Washington Counties that have an estimated population of 51,001 & 165,662 respectively (216,663 combined) 

To the SE you'd have Mohave County AZ which encompasses Kingman, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu which has a population of 207,200 but how much ties these places have to the D-Backs is a question - This county is part of the VGK TV territory 

There's really nothing population wise to the north in NV as Lincoln County only has 5,223 population - Nye with Pahurmp being the major population center has 44,202 with probably 35K+ of that one hour away from LV

SW you get into Dodger & Angels territories so nothing at all down the I-15 corridor

Personally I'd love a MLB team to land here, but MLB would have the most hurdles to overcome and need to most investment ............NBA could land here in two months, have a place to play and set up shop with little new construction costs other than a practice/HQ facility 

I'd guess NBA would be the next thing to land in LV - Even MLS has stadium building issues that would need to be figured out - NBA could get a deal in T-Mobile in a short time 

Those secondary markets are so important in baseball because so much revenue is driven by regional TV deals. This is where there is a big difference between Portland and Vegas when examining baseball as a fit. Metro areas like Bend (which is growing rapidly, too), Medford, and Eugene represent just shy of a million more in population outside the Portland DMA. Of course, that's also why the Mariners may fight expansion in Portland.

Regardless, I've always viewed the NBA as the best long-term fit for Vegas. Missed opportunity to me that the league let the NHL and NFL beat them to the punch.

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

No one said that. Vegas knew hockey would work because its indoors and also previous lower level hockey teams like the thunder and wranglers crushed.

Even with a winning team, Vegas fans filed out of a playoff game early.

Vegas isnt as big on supporting a loser.

Yeah, they did say that. Just look at this article. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/nhl-las-vegas-expansion-doomed-to-fail

I could link another 100 of those saying the same thing.

People like to look back and think the Knights success was guaranteed and it wasn't. The community bought in after the 1 October shooting and the Knights had unprecedented success in their first year. They had the greatest start a pro franchise could hope for. None of those were expected. 

35 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Yeah, they did say that. Just look at this article. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/nhl-las-vegas-expa8nsion-doomed-to-fail

I could link another 100 of those saying the same thing.

People like to look back and think the Knights success was guaranteed and it wasn't. The community bought in after the 1 October shooting and the Knights had unprecedented success in their first year. They had the greatest start a pro franchise could hope for. None of those were expected. 

Well, I just see one article, and this guy dont know jack!

If you knew about the IHL and other leagues that put hockey teams here, you knew hockey would crush here. The Thunder was good. The other team sucked but still drew.

But I said no one, then I said Vegas. So you win this round of debate for being correct in the 1st place and also for staying consistent. 

Kudos.

P.s. baseball will only work in Lv if it wins. Otherwise empty ball park.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Well, I just see one article, and this guy dont know jack!

If you knew about the IHL and other leagues that put hockey teams here, you knew hockey would crush here. The Thunder was good. The other team sucked but still drew.

But I said no one, then I said Vegas. So you win this round of debate for being correct in the 1st place and also for staying consistent. 

Kudos.

P.s. baseball will only work in Lv if it wins. Otherwise empty ball park.

To be fair, absolutely meaningless Aviators games are very well attended in the new park. Last Vegas would be there for the new toy of mlb first couple years.

24 minutes ago, toonkee said:

To be fair, absolutely meaningless Aviators games are very well attended in the new park. Last Vegas would be there for the new toy of mlb first couple years.

Can you specify "well attended"?

I think mlb baseball has huge appeal, but im a skeptic of Vegas fans consistently attending a .500 team in the Las Vegas summer.

Also, all this stuff thins already thin UNLV bball attendance, which makes it harder to build the program.

No like.