Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Trump Wants to be Impeached

Because he will not be removed by the Senate and it will be spun as a victory and energize the deplorables.  The ultimate victim card and he can get a lot of mileage out of while hearings and proceedings are ongoing.

He's daring Pelosi to do it.  He either forces her hand or just continues to do whatever he wants.  Either way it's a win for him.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Because he will not be removed by the Senate and it will be spun as a victory and energize the deplorables.  The ultimate victim card and he can get a lot of mileage out of while hearings and proceedings are ongoing.

He's daring Pelosi to do it.  He either forces her hand or just continues to do whatever he wants.  Either way it's a win for him.

Pelosi to smart to fall for it. She saw what happened with Clinton. She's going to leave it up to the voters. If Trump happens to win they will start impeachment proceedings at that time. Either way he's a lame duck 

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Pelosi also aware of the pending FISA DOJ FBI abuse shitstorm that is coming.   Trumps legal retribution hasent even started yet. Who knows what kind of turns are ahead. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the vast majority of the people Trump has pointed the finger at are Republicans. If that's so, how is that going to hurt the Democrats?

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

Think trump over values the reaction to his impeachment - For once the duma$$ is correct, the GOP led senate won't convict him, so impeachment would end in the house - He's also correct in that it will fire up his base, but IMO there's also a huge anti-trump sentiment that would like to see impeachment just to prove that America is a country of laws 

Based on the %'s ............35-40% will vote trump no matter what an idiot he is.............and 35-40% will vote against him regardless if he does anything right in their eyes...........so play the %'s and go with the 20-30% not in the pro-trump or anti-trump camp and hope they see the reality of the nut job that currently occupies the White House & go for a House impeachment 

If the script was flipped, there's little doubt the GOP would already have started impeachment proceedings, so why shouldn't the dems go for impeachment - doing that would please the anti-trump factions, and an evidentiary impeachment proceeding could enlighten those in the undecided %'s and work against trump in 2020

Bigger question might be, what reaction would the lunatics that back trump be like if he's impeached and then loses the 2020 election..........could totally see them do some crazy sh!t especially if they get would up by trump going ape crap and stirring them up even to the point of violence 

3 hours ago, rudolro said:

Pelosi to smart to fall for it. She saw what happened with Clinton. She's going to leave it up to the voters. If Trump happens to win they will start impeachment proceedings at that time. Either way he's a lame duck 

Clinton's approval ratings went up - and also trump is not a normal president 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the vast majority of the people Trump has pointed the finger at are Republicans. If that's so, how is that going to hurt the Democrats?

Because he keeps calling them democrats.

13 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Clinton was also an outgoing President, so there's a different calculus involved with Trump. 

Something else to note is that public approval for Nixon's impeachment when they moved forward with it was about the same as what it is for Trump right now. 

17 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

No argument there. I thought slick Willie could spin a yarn. He's got nothing on this lying pos

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Clinton was also an outgoing President, so there's a different calculus involved with Trump. 

I thought the Clinton impeachment was in his first term, no?

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

True that Clinton couldn't run again............but trump has lousy numbers and it's not any given he's reelected & seems the country has pretty much settled into approve or disapprove of trump, so even with impeachment, I doubt trump gets any major bump in popularity or that he takes a major hit either - trump is holding his base of 35-40% and there's a 40-45% disapproving - If the other 20% has any brains they could see impeachment as worthwhile 

So as it is trump might have a 50-50 chance at winning a 2nd term, and I doubt if impeachment moves the needle on trump much as he's a polarizing figure and evidence will come out that would be much more damaging than anything Clinton did to hide the BJ he got 

2 minutes ago, rudolro said:

This isn't from me, but it's a decent synopsis

President William Jefferson Clinton did not get re-elected after impeachment. He was impeached December 19, 1998 in the House, after the midterm election and acquitted January 11, 1999 in the Senate; those events happened during his second term.

He couldn’t run for a third term due to the Roosevelt Amendment, but if he could have, there is a good probability he would have won re-election: his popularity was at an all-time high when he left office in 2001.

The impeachment proceedings were largely seen in 1998 as a political witch hunt, being run by a parcel of hypocrites who were all very likely guilty of the same ‘high crimes’ that they were supposedly investigating and definitely publically excoriating President Clinton for. In the end the major charge that was bought was that President Clinton had perjured himself during his deposition in the Paula Jones lawsuit on the question of Monica Lewinsky.

Being a ‘cheater’ is not an impeachable offense and it didn’t stop many other Presidents who cheated on their wives from being re-elected before. President Clinton was not the first President who was a `cheater’ and he will certainly not be the last.

The Starr investigations started during President Clinton’s first term, as a continuation of an investigation of the suicide death of White House Counsel Vince Foster and Whitewater, in 1994, when Kenneth Starr was appointed as Independent Counsel to replace Robert Fiske, but under Starr’s leadership it very quickly became an extremely wide-ranging and comprehensive investigation of all aspects of President Clinton and the First Lady’s lives that might, in any conceivable way, lead to any kind of criminal prosecution of President Clinton or his wife.

The whole investigation was seen as political and the OIC was already highly unpopular by 1996, when Senator Bob Dole turned out not to be a particularly good candidate. So President Clinton easily won re-election.

The Starr report finally came out in September of 1998, in time for the midterm elections, but that tactic backfired on the Republicans.

That is something that Republicans should carefully consider in the coming days, as they all crow about the current FBI Director’s latest preposterous, highly improper, and clearly politically motivated letter to Congress, saying absolutely nothing of any substance about an ongoing investigation, within 11 days of a highly consequential General Election, but saying that nothing in a way that was clearly carefully calculated to cause maximum damage to one of the candidates for President at a time when she cannot possibly effectively respond.

3 minutes ago, rudolro said:

Nope, he was impeached almost exactly halfway through his second term... December 1998. 

7 minutes ago, rudolro said:

No argument there. I thought slick Willie could spin a yarn. He's got nothing on this lying pos

This is part of my point...........in Clinton's day there was division but not like there is with trump - Just don't see an impeachment of trump swaying the electorate much if at all...............and after the 2018 mid-terms, that alone should show that trump has vulnerabilities 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

This is part of my point...........in Clinton's day there was division but not like there is with trump - Just don't see an impeachment of trump swaying the electorate much if at all...............and after the 2018 mid-terms, that alone should show that trump has vulnerabilities 

It's difficult to think this country can get any more divided than ii currently is.

The World Needs More Cowboys!