Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Georgia mayor under fire for alleged remarks about black job candidate

The mayor of Hoschton, a nearly all-white community 50 miles northeast of Atlanta, allegedly withheld a job candidate from consideration for city administrator because he was black, an AJC investigation has found.

According to documents obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and interviews with city officials, Mayor Theresa Kenerly told a member of the City Council she pulled the resume of Keith Henry from a packet of four finalists “because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this.”
--------

The mayor reportedly made her comments to a member of the council in an overheard whisper during a closed-door session of the council March 4. Councilwoman Hope Weeks said she repeated them to her in the parking lot after the meeting, according to a document released by the city in response to an open records request from the AJC.

“She proceeded to tell me that the candidate was real good, but he was black and we don’t have a big black population and she just didn’t think Hoschton was ready for that,” Weeks wrote in an account dated March 4.

Weeks confided with Councilwoman Susan Powers, and both women agreed to take the matter to city attorney Thomas Mitchell.

“Both of us were just appalled, so we thought we had to do something to stop it,” Powers said.
--------

Councilman Cleveland said he did not think Kenerly was necessarily wrong.

“I understood where she was coming from,” he said. “I understand Theresa saying that, simply because we’re not Atlanta. Things are different here than they are 50 miles down the road.”

Cleveland described Hoschton as “a predominantly white community” not in accord with urban sensibilities about race.
--------

While Cleveland said it was not an issue in his decision on whom to hire, he did share his beliefs about race.

“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/georgia-mayor-under-fire-for-alleged-remarks-about-black-job-candidate/Qr403ZLnF5VuB8CzpngLjP/

Good God. 

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Please show me where being a Christian means no interracial marriage?

I will be here with my Snickers...

I am not aware of any biblical prohibition on interracial marriage. Any irrrational prohibition on interracial marriage was at best a result of fear; unfortunately,  more often the result of bigotry, racism, and hatred.

110926run_defense710.jpg

18 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I am not aware of any biblical prohibition on interracial marriage. Any irrrational prohibition on interracial marriage was at best a result of fear; unfortunately,  more often the result of bigotry, racism, and hatred.

I think it's in the Bible that God came down in his pillar or air (or fire) and gave leprosy to some people who were being racist towards Moses' Ethiopian (I think) wife. I'd have to go try and find it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

Sounds like a lovely place to live.

Cleveland described Hoschton as “a predominantly white community” not in accord with urban sensibilities about race.
--------

While Cleveland said it was not an issue in his decision on whom to hire, he did share his beliefs about race.

“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

I guess it does kinda make sense that this happened in Georgia... I mean, a school was holding segregated proms there as recently as 2013. 

How do you feel about minorities wanting to have their own prom?

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

I guess it does kinda make sense that this happened in Georgia... I mean, a school was holding segregated proms there as recently as 2013. 

I just find it humorous that a person who probably proclaims to be small government and a supporter of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, uses his religion to guide his hiring practices, and his own bigotry in the belief that he knows what his community would be okay with.

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

How do you feel about minorities wanting to have their own prom?

They're dumb, problematic, and shouldn't happen.

What a sad state of affairs in that Georgia community. One would hope these types of racist views would not be prevalent in 2019 but unfortunately they are. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

MAGA!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

I think it's in the Bible that God came down in his pillar or air (or fire) and gave leprosy to some people who were being racist towards Moses' Ethiopian (I think) wife. I'd have to go try and find it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Negatory, it's the Curse of Ham. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

Basically, after the ark landed on dry land, Noah got really drunk and his son Ham humiliated by undressing him. Noah cursed his son, saying his descendants would be slaves. It was believed that Africans were descended from Ham, and slave owners used this as justification for slavery. It was taught by a lot of early Christian groups, especially in the South. A lot of Confederates believed that slavery was God's Will, and therefore it should be defended. The attitudes about race have obviously lingered on to today.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Deuteronomy 7, 3-4

Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, for they will turn your sons away from following me to serve other gods, and the LORD's anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you.

2 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Negatory, it's the Curse of Ham. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

Basically, after the ark landed on dry land, Noah got really drunk and his son Ham humiliated by undressing him. Noah cursed his son, saying his descendants would be slaves. It was believed that Africans were descended from Ham, and slave owners used this as justification for slavery. It was taught by a lot of early Christian groups, especially in the South. A lot of Confederates believed that slavery was God's Will, and therefore it should be defended. The attitudes about race have obviously lingered on to today.

You're correct, what I posted was more pointing out that apparently God hated racism so much that he turned people into lepers. 

The Curse of Ham is insane though... people in Rwanda actually separated themselves into upper and lower castes based on it.