Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Police Misconduct

I have mentioned previously of the interview I heard that white supremacists had a coordinated strategy to have followers join police forces.   This link speaks to one such possible officer...

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/04/us/oscar-grant-shooting-bart-internal-investigation/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

By no means does this mean most or even many cops are corrupted in this regard.  But as a society, we have to stop thinking this strategy didn’t occur and can be ignored.  It needs to be dealt with and insure people such as the above officer don’t simply move into new positions elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I have mentioned previously of the interview I heard that white supremacists had a coordinated strategy to have followers join police forces.   This link speaks to one such possible officer...

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/04/us/oscar-grant-shooting-bart-internal-investigation/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

By no means does this mean most or even many cops are corrupted in this regard.  But as a society, we have to stop thinking this strategy didn’t occur and can be ignored.  It needs to be dealt with and insure people such as the above officer don’t simply move into new positions elsewhere.  

You would hope PDs would be able to pick up on these kind of guys in job interviews evaluations, and training. Unfortunately, I’m sure some slip through. 

6 hours ago, sactowndog said:

That makes no sense at all. Find a report to back that up. Maybe if it was the old days before body cameras were on cops, but even back then, if you got a bunch of complaints that stood out from other cops, you’re on your way out of a job. Besides, those stupid white power people can’t even coordinate a cross burning with 10 people without totally screwing it up. 

There sure are a lot of borderline bad cops out there. 

kat.jpg

4 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

That makes no sense at all. Find a report to back that up. Maybe if it was the old days before body cameras were on cops, but even back then, if you got a bunch of complaints that stood out from other cops, you’re on your way out of a job. Besides, those stupid white power people can’t even coordinate a cross burning with 10 people without totally screwing it up. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation/fbi-white-supremacists-in-law-enforcement

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Here is an article on the interview I was referencing 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theroot.com/is-racist-law-enforcement-hunting-black-people-1821393072/amp

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Bullshit article, using Southern Poverty Law Center as the standard for hate groups is like having Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein as prosecutor's in a sex crimes unit.

Once a valuable organization that has rendered the KKK impotent, with only a few thousand current members verses millions a generation ago.  Unfortunately, with success, they went the path of shakedown lawsuits and labeling conservatives with the hate and racist label. The even labeled Ben phuckung Carson on their hate list.

I am phucking tired of this general slander of law enforcement.  We are blessed to have nearly a million sworn law enforcement officers protecting us, our families, and our rights.  That article references an FBI concern of white supremacists infiltration of law enforcement, but cites three KKK members fired from law enforcement in the last decade. Have there been past abuses?  Absolutely. Are law enforcement agencies getting better?  Absolutely, and the should continue to improve.  Does law enforcement deal with impossible situations every day?  Absolutely.  However, this general slander of law enforcement causes damage to the recruitment of good officers.

"At least one white supremacist group has reportedly encouraged ghost skins to seek positions in law enforcement for the capability of alerting skinhead crews of pending investigative action against them," the report read.

110926run_defense710.jpg

4 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Bullshit article, using Southern Poverty Law Center as the standard for hate groups is like having Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein as prosecutor's in a sex crimes unit.

Once a valuable organization that has rendered the KKK impotent, with only a few thousand current members verses millions a generation ago.  Unfortunately, with success, they went the path of shakedown lawsuits and labeling conservatives with the hate and racist label. The even labeled Ben phuckung Carson on their hate list.

I am phucking tired of this general slander of law enforcement.  We are blessed to have nearly a million sworn law enforcement officers protecting us, our families, and our rights.  That article references an FBI concern of white supremacists infiltration of law enforcement, but cites three KKK members fired from law enforcement in the last decade. Have there been past abuses?  Absolutely. Are law enforcement agencies getting better?  Absolutely, and the should continue to improve.  Does law enforcement deal with impossible situations every day?  Absolutely.  However, this general slander of law enforcement causes damage to the recruitment of good officers.

"At least one white supremacist group has reportedly encouraged ghost skins to seek positions in law enforcement for the capability of alerting skinhead crews of pending investigative action against them," the report read.

Who is making general slander.  Did you even bother to read my first post.   But to put your head in the sand and pretend it isn’t an issue is a typical right wing response. 

13 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

By the way I doubt you actually read any of the links as you already admitted you self select to Fox for your news. 

Just now, sactowndog said:

Who is making general slander.  Did you even bother to read my first post.   But to put your head in the sand and pretend it isn’t an issue is a typical right wing response. 

Yes, your OP:

I have mentioned previously of the interview I heard that white supremacists had a coordinated strategy to have followers join police forces.   This link speaks to one such possible officer...

To which I respond bullshit.  The original linked an article referenced a single union-protected officer's repeated exchange of the N-word with the suspect, not a conspiracy or coordinated strategy. At worst, it represents a bad apple who was emboldened in hurling the N-word, likely by perceived union protection of such behavior.

110926run_defense710.jpg

5 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Yes, your OP:

I have mentioned previously of the interview I heard that white supremacists had a coordinated strategy to have followers join police forces.   This link speaks to one such possible officer...

To which I respond bullshit.  The original linked an article referenced a single union-protected officer's repeated exchange of the N-word with the suspect, not a conspiracy or coordinated strategy. At worst, it represents a bad apple who was emboldened in hurling the N-word, likely by perceived union protection of such behavior.

Read the other 3 links....

7 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

By the way I doubt you actually read any of the links as you already admitted you self select to Fox for your news. 

I read the yellow journalism CNN article and the out of date PBS article.  SPLC has since been debunked as a hate group themselves, primarily against conservative individuals and groups. I didn't bother reading the other articles.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Just now, modestobulldog said:

I read the yellow journalism CNN article and the out of date PBS article.  SPLC has since been debunked as a hate group themselves, primarily against conservative individuals and groups. I didn't bother reading the other articles.

Bingo.   Unless you hear it from Faux News your mind is closed 

In 2016, 990 black men were killed by police; however, only 16 were unarmed.  Only a leftist idiot would hold a view that police are not allowed to defend themselves. The yellow journalism of corporate media shills like CNN is merely a desperate attempt to keep blacks in the fold on election day.

110926run_defense710.jpg

At first glance I thought the event at issue concerned Oakland PD but it was actually the BART police.

For decades Oakland PD was notorious for being almost lily white in a city which had a significant black population. However, that has changed significantly because of OPD being under a consent decree which requires oversight by a federal judge. OPD is now so ethnically integrated that I can't imagine a white officer would use the N-word in reference to a black person regardless of what the black person is suspected of having done.

Regarding white supremacy, at least in California large metropolitan police forces now have such in-depth background checks of applicants for racism and are so ethnically integrated that it would be very difficult for someone of that ilk to work in them. That's not to say there aren't some old-timers with that mindset but I highly doubt many officers hired in the last 15 years or so think that way. More problematic are cases like L.A. County Sheriff's Department where deputies of all ethnicities sometimes adopt an us versus them mentality and use force not so much as a legitimate means of bringing miscreants into compliance with their orders but as an excuse to beat the hell out of them. Indeed, in various LASD stations deputies have created secret clubs into which admission is offered only when such bad-ass conduct has been displayed. (Nothing like peace officers sporting tattoos with a Nazi-like death's head on them.)

Anyway, I'm sure many law enforcement agencies remain fine with hiring white supremacists but at least in California, they're confined to small communities.

Boom goes the dynamite.

By the way, I am no fan of Fox News.  I find them manipulative and not interested in substantive debate.  I pick up Tucker Carlson on my YouTube feed, and occasionally Laura Ingram and Sean Hannity.  I like Tucker's thoughtful daily opinion piece and generally like him, I am mixed on Laura, and I can't stand Sean.  I saw my mom become fearful after my Dad's passing which I attribute to excessive Fox News viewing. Despite living in possibly the premier coastal community of California, relatively good health, family close by, anda good church, she had an overly negative view because of the Fox News harping of Obama.

Other than Netflix and Amazon Video, I have only paid for TV 3 months since I cut the cord 10 years ago and that was YouTube TV so I could watch Fresno State games last fall.  I don't think I have watched antenna TV at all in 2019. 

I actually find this forum as good source of information and linked articles.  Bullshit, including my own is called out for what it is.

110926run_defense710.jpg

There was a recent article in USA Today that was pretty much a hit piece on PDs across the country. Still the statistics quoted on police misconduct were very sobering. 

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/04/24/usa-today-revealing-misconduct-records-police-cops/3223984002/

The City of Boise used to have a civilian ombudsman program that reviewed controversial police actions and made recommendations for suspensions or dismissals if appropriate. I’m not sure if the program is still in effect. However, I thought it was a good program to have a civilian outside entity reviewing police actions instead of only the police doing reviews of their own. 

One thing for sure, we can’t do without police, many who are professional and do a great job, but there needs to be a system in place to weed out the bad cops.