Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Sinclair buys all Fox Regional Sports Networks for $10B

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

Maybe not a primary carrier but I've wondered for years why somebody hasn't gone there at some level.  It's a no brainer in my opinion.

Or even locally in markets that are Telmundo or Spanish language affiliates - the VGK have radio in Spanish 

The Mountain Division can make  a deal with Root and The West Division for tier 3 rights

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Theoretically the former Prime Ticket RSNs could use Aztec games and Fresno State games for their broadcasts.  AT&T Sportsnet has Golden Knights games, so if Nevada and UNLV both had a deal with AT&T Sportnet there could be a Nevada specific RSN anchored by hockey and bookended with MW men's basketball.

Also, if Sinclair put more MW games over the air as a result of owning a significant portion of Stadium and now these RSNs it is possible that the east coast and midwest time zones would see a ton of MW games they currently don't see.  Although ESPN is overall more highly rated throughout the US, in particular regions the sports network carrying the local pro teams is considered a strong 2 if not 1B as a channel to watch games by most sports fans when comparing that to ESPN.  In many places, the cable subscribers pay about the same for the RSN than they do for ESPN.  MW broadcasts following local games could attract eyeballs and the on the field competition in the MW is as good as most FBS games and almost always watchable.

Honestly, it's probably more likely now than it was before that ESPN/Disney, At&T, CBS, Fox and Sinclair all pursue the Mountain West.  Although the AAC might have slightly more overall inherent value, the conference never hit the open market and the possibility of Sinclair making a deal with the AAC (which could have totally been a THING) isn't happening.

While I don't think that Sinclair will succeed in pushing a heavy right wing agenda, I do think their strategy is influenced by their politics just like Fox is.  I bet Sinclair and Fox both want more media properties in areas they consider 'red' and certainly Idaho, Utah and Wyoming are usually characterized that way when reducing people's perspectives to one metaphorical color.

The timing of Sinclair getting more serious about sports is good for the MW, but I have to think that the AAC could have really benefited a lot from this because almost all the big local RSNs in AAC cities will soon be owned by Sinclair.

12 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Honestly, I still wonder what Telemundo would pay for our content.  Seriously...we'd be international.

Or ESPN Deportes and ESPN Latin America. Interest in American football is growing south of the US.

Fresno State football has radio broadcasts on both the local ESPN Radio affiliate and the local ESPN Deportes radio station. But most other MWC teams do not seem to pursue the Spanish language market.

The MWC itself has tried to market to the Spanish speaking market. Back in 2016 was the last big push by the conference office that I know about. The conference hired marketing companies that specialize in the Spanish market. But that effort seems to have sputtered out like many conference initiatives. A little info about that 2016 campaign at:   http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/03/Colleges/MWC.aspx

I posted this info on another thread, but Hispanic sports fans are very dedicated. The average Hispanic sports fan consumes 20 hours of games and sports related media (TV, radio, online) per week vs 12 hours for non-Hispanics. A Hispanic sports fan is 33% more likely than non-Hispanics to buy products based on ads seen during a game.

Given the demographics in California and the Southwest plus the group's strong sports interest, developing the Hispanic fan base should be a conference priority.

15 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

While I don't think that Sinclair will succeed in pushing a heavy right wing agenda, I do think their strategy is influenced by their politics just like Fox is.  I bet Sinclair and Fox both want more media properties in areas they consider 'red' and certainly Idaho, Utah and Wyoming are usually characterized that way when reducing people's perspectives to one metaphorical color.

You could add inland and rural California also.

The only OTA stations Sinclair currently owns in California are in the following markets:

• Bakersfield (Fox and CBS affiliates)
  • Fresno (Fox and CW affiliates)
  • Chico-Redding (Fox, ABC, Univision and some smaller network affiliates)
  • Eurka-Arcata (Fox, ABC, CW and Univision affiliates)

That covers nearly all of the California counties that tilted "red" in the 2016 presidential election.

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Maybe not a primary carrier but I've wondered for years why somebody hasn't gone there at some level.  It's a no brainer in my opinion.

No way American college football can compete with real “futbol” on Telemundo. 

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

No way American college football can compete with real “futbol” on Telemundo. 

American Football is growing in the Hispanic market, even in Mexico.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17853442/american-football-taken-root-mexico-all-levels-youth-pro

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-nfl-football-20171024-story.html

http://usatodayhss.com/2018/hall-of-fame-world-bowl-growth-american-football-mexico-city