Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Football Talk: your key losses and returning starters

12 hours ago, RAMification said:

News Flash -- Rams just signed a LB Gradxfer from Troy who is very, very proven & accomplished.  Huge game in Troy's win vs. Neb, 2nd team All-SunBelt, starter since RS Fr year, 6'2 x 210, very Fast & athletic.  He is prototypical of the LB's (& DL) that our DC loves to employ... quicker, faster (thus normally a bit undersized) kids who can generate Chaos along the LOS, and can clean up breakdowns that inevitably occur.  Having only 1 LB returning who has Starting Experience (Max McDonald), this is a VERY GOOD move by our DC (Jancek) & Bobo !!!!!!  Can't teach Speed, Experience & Courageous performances in Big Games vs. P5's !!!!!!

https://troytrojans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6580

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2019/05/06/tron-folsom-troy-transfers-colorado-state-football/1123612001/

When you say a LB Gradfxer, how many other Grade Fixer recruits do you have? If they can hack into their grades and change their D's and F's off a YouTube video, then more power to them!!  

kat.jpg

50 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Love it! So you're predicting another Fiesta Bowl for Boise?

I would pay to see another game like that 06-07 season Fiesta bowl. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

17 hours ago, madmartigan said:

As an unbiased observer, I’d say Boises history in D1 gridiron is better than any program in the MWC. They’ve done more in less time than anybody here. 3 Fiesta bowls is 3 more major bowl victories than anyone here has in the last 25 years.

Good heavens I just defended Boise State. I’m going to go puke now. 

You have it all wrong. Apparently it is more impressive to play for over 100 years and have an all time losing record. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

28 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise is a 12-2 season from potentially having the best winning percentage in the history of college football.  Would put them at .730 (obviously would require OSU/Mich/Bama to not run the table).

image.png.f030b0ea11a1f722b3ae0b5d39c0439d.png

That one is incorrect

http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking/all-time-record

On 5/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

i'll yoink tedfordtrain's spot

Key Losses:  3 of top 4 WR, 3/5 OL, QB, top 3 LB

Returning starters: 4 offense, 6 defense

Excited about:  Jared Rice...nfl-caliber TE and he'll probably be a focal point for the offense with all the WR departure.   on defense, probably Mykal Walker now that he's moving to LB full-time and not playing out of position at DE.

Jared Rice really needs to put on some size to become a real prospect for the NFL, imho.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

i'll yoink tedfordtrain's spot

Key Losses:  3 of top 4 WR, 3/5 OL, QB, top 3 LB

Returning starters: 4 offense, 6 defense

Excited about:  Jared Rice...nfl-caliber TE and he'll probably be a focal point for the offense with all the WR departure.   on defense, probably Mykal Walker now that he's moving to LB full-time and not playing out of position at DE.

Have you gotten a look at Hokit at LB yet?

On 5/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, fearthefumanchu said:

Jared Rice really needs to put on some size to become a real prospect for the NFL, imho.

He's 6-4.5ish  and about 240, that's good enough.  Too much more and he'll lose quickness for the receiving game, which is his calling card anyway. 

On 5/9/2019 at 8:49 AM, fearthefumanchu said:

Have you gotten a look at Hokit at LB yet?

Not really much word on this, i think he spent a decent chunk of spring rehabbing wrestling injuries and the general strain from cutting so much weight but i could be wrong.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, kingpotato said:

If Boise averages 9-3 seasons for a few more years, they'll catch Michigan. 

And then only have to have about 600 more games under their belt to make it  a true comparison. 

Here is a quick breakdown:

Biggest Loss--Probably DC Scotty Hazelton.  We'll see how the defense reacts this year.  

QB--No losses here.  Chambers returns from injury last year and was named the starter.  Early indications seem to be the TVW will not transfer.  Levi Williams enrolled early and participated in spring.  He will need a redshirt year probably.  This is probably the most depth that Wyoming has had in years at the QB position an they could potentially need it with how much Chambers runs.  Chambers will really need to improve his passing accuracy this year though.  I feel this position is still a question mark even with improved depth.  TVW would need to prove he is ready for prime time if Chambers goes down or can't improve his passing game enough to keep defenses honest.

RB--Lose Nico Evans which is a huge loss.  Jevon Bigelow transferred out.  Valladay returns as the lone guy with actual game experience and could have a huge year if the line can actually block for him and stay healthy.  There is also a transfer from Louisville, Trey Smith, who is immediately eligible but I don't really know anything about him.  If Smith is good, then they could be a good 1-2 punch.

WR--Lose James Price.  CJ Johnson returns from injury.  Austin Conway, Gunner Gentry, and Raghib Ismail Jr also return but the WR group has been pretty blah the last few years and they really need to step up this year.  The WR group as a whole has had trouble with getting separation from their defenders.

TE--Lose Tyree Mayfield and Austin Fort.  Jackson Marcotte, Josh Harshman, and Nate Weinman return.  I feel like this group needs to step up as well this year, although the TE does not seem to get as much use as one would think in a Bohl/Vigen offense.

OL--Injuries have already hit the line hard this spring.  Gavin Rush is out for the season again.  A lot of the O-line returns from last year with a lot of starts among them.  However, the oline has never had the sustained success that you would think a power offense would have.  I feel like Bohl is starting to stock pile some talent finally, but the oline has been inconsistent for Bohl's tenure.  That has to change.  There is a new oline coach this year, so let's see if that helps.  Part of the issue might be the blocking schemes in Vigen's offense and I am not sure if Wyoming ever had athletic enough players to correctly run it.  

Have to do the defense a little later.  

Pfft. Harsin barely gets 9 wins a year. #fireharsin. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Ok we'll check in on this in 88 years to be fair.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:05 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

image.png.f030b0ea11a1f722b3ae0b5d39c0439d.png

An oh your JC & Div. II days don't count.

4 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Ok we'll check in on this in 88 years to be fair.

An oh your JC & Div. II days don't count.

They played Div II for exactly one year. If you were to take out their non-FBS years they come in at 78%.

It doesn't really matter what level they play at, they've won roughly 3 out of 4 games for a little under a century... with their highest winning % coming at the FBS level.