Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Football Talk: your key losses and returning starters

I'm already sick of the off-season and all the geniuses positing theories on expansion and TV deals. Let's talk football. Phil Steele's mag isn't out yet, and I wanted to get a snapshot of each MW team: key losses, and returning starters, maybe throw in someone you're excited about. Also any insight into potential recruiting violations and creative ways to count attendance of people that aren't actually at the game are welcomed. 

I'll do Utah State: 

Key Losses: Top 3 WR, Top TE, NFL RB, 4/5 starting OL + nearly the entire coaching staff minus a few. 

Returning Starters: 4 on offense, 10 on defense 

Who I'm excited about watching: Jordan Love- can he continue his success and have a good enough season to be an early draft pick? David Woodward- PFF's top graded linebacker, all American, and somehow MW second teamer. 

For Boise, I nominate: @kingpotato or @halfmanhalfbronco

For Airforce I nominate: @Bob

Wyoming: @happycamper

CSU: @RamSack 

Fresno: @TheTedfordTrain

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

i'll yoink tedfordtrain's spot

Key Losses:  3 of top 4 WR, 3/5 OL, QB, top 3 LB

Returning starters: 4 offense, 6 defense

Excited about:  Jared Rice...nfl-caliber TE and he'll probably be a focal point for the offense with all the WR departure.   on defense, probably Mykal Walker now that he's moving to LB full-time and not playing out of position at DE.

Key Losses

Offense: QB Marcus McMaryion, WR KeeSean Johnson, WR Jamire Jordan, TE Kyle Riddering, OL Micah St. Andrew, OL Christian Cronk

Backup from the last two seasons, Jorge Reyna, will be under center as McMaryion's replacement, as Tedford has already announced him as the starter. Netane Muti will be returning from his season ending injury in the Minnesota game to move back inside to his LG position. Syrus Tuitele can play all over the line, and I'd expect Jace Fuamatu, Donte Bull, Nick Abbs, and Quireo Woodley to compete for the other four positions. Riddering isn't a huge loss in the passing game, but he was a very solid blocking TE. Jared Rice should continue to be a weapon and probably a safety valve for Reyna early in the season. Jalen Cropper is our best bet for an impact true freshman at WR, but we have a number of other guys coming off of redshirts that should compete as well. JC transfer Keric Wheatfall should compete for a spot in the receivers group, and we're still in the running for #1 ranked JC WR recruit RaJae Johnson. 

Defense: DT Patrick Beloney, LB James Bailey, LB Jeff Allison, LB George Helmuth, S Mike Bell, CB Tank Kelly

DE Mykal Walker is changing positions and taking over for Allison at the mike. Justin Rice (Jared's brother) is a presumptive starter at one outside spot, with Aaron Mosby continuing his transition from safety to take over on the other side of Walker. Wylan Free is a great athlete and should be able to take over well from Bell, and Chris Gaston is a great talent and plays very similar to the man he'll start across the field from, Jaron Bryant. Also of note, RB Josh Hokit is moving to the defensive side of the ball to take up his old position at LB.

I'm really excited to see what our LB group is going to be able to do. Yes, they're three new starters at the position (but Walker was a starter on the line), but they're an upgrade from a physical standpoint from the group last year, which was one of the best in school history. On offense, Jared Rice will have a huge year and his NFL draft stock will skyrocket. 

13 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Key Losses

Offense: QB Marcus McMaryion, WR KeeSean Johnson, WR Jamire Jordan, TE Kyle Riddering, OL Micah St. Andrew, OL Christian Cronk

Backup from the last two seasons, Jorge Reyna, will be under center as McMaryion's replacement, as Tedford has already announced him as the starter. Netane Muti will be returning from his season ending injury in the Minnesota game to move back inside to his LG position. Syrus Tuitele can play all over the line, and I'd expect Jace Fuamatu, Donte Bull, Nick Abbs, and Quireo Woodley to compete for the other four positions. Riddering isn't a huge loss in the passing game, but he was a very solid blocking TE. Jared Rice should continue to be a weapon and probably a safety valve for Reyna early in the season. Jalen Cropper is our best bet for an impact true freshman at WR, but we have a number of other guys coming off of redshirts that should compete as well. JC transfer Keric Wheatfall should compete for a spot in the receivers group, and we're still in the running for #1 ranked JC WR recruit RaJae Johnson. 

Defense: DT Patrick Beloney, LB James Bailey, LB Jeff Allison, LB George Helmuth, S Mike Bell, CB Tank Kelly

DE Mykal Walker is changing positions and taking over for Allison at the mike. Justin Rice (Jared's brother) is a presumptive starter at one outside spot, with Aaron Mosby continuing his transition from safety to take over on the other side of Walker. Wylan Free is a great athlete and should be able to take over well from Bell, and Chris Gaston is a great talent and plays very similar to the man he'll start across the field from, Jaron Bryant. Also of note, RB Josh Hokit is moving to the defensive side of the ball to take up his old position at LB.

I'm really excited to see what our LB group is going to be able to do. Yes, they're three new starters at the position (but Walker was a starter on the line), but they're an upgrade from a physical standpoint from the group last year, which was one of the best in school history. On offense, Jared Rice will have a huge year and his NFL draft stock will skyrocket. 

generally speaking i'm not really worried about the defense at all.  The departing senior linebackers are all going to be replaced by upperclassmen with significant game experience, the DL loses basically nobody and gains a bunch of talented underclassmen coming off injury/RS, and the two open secondary spots are going to two fantastically talented DBs in Free and Gaston.   I expect minimal dropoff, at least in a vacuum.  

Offense is gonna be a work in progress.  Muti is an NFL dude, Tuitele i think will never be more than a good college starter but he's already that much.   There's a lot of talent to be had for the other three spots, but nothing's set in stone yet.  The WR corps will be interesting....lotta unproven but talented guys.  Nobody solidified anything in spring so Cropper has a good shot at the 2-deep at least.  Expect heavier usage of the TE this year in the passing game.  Not just Rice, but Sutton and the two JC transfers too - they lined sutton out at WR a lot during spring because his sheer size advantage is unfair.

29 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Key Losses

I could easily google this, but how have ReTreadford's recruiting classes looked since he arrived? What is his recruiting philosophy? I think if you kept the best central valley players in town you'd have a very good team. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

San Jose State:

Key losses: TE Josh Oliver (Jacksonville Jaguars); Dakari Monroe (KC Chiefs); Boogie Roberts (LA Rams)

Returning Starters: Defense = 6 (2** DL, 2 LB, 2 DB); Offense =  7 (QB, RB, 4 OL, 1 WR)

Excited about having an older, more experienced team. Twelve freshmen have started games for the Spartans the past two years, and a total of 52 freshman have played appeared in games. I'm also looking forward to a better O-line, with Minnesota transfer Quinn Oseland already grabbing a starting spot during the Spring, and also the return of a healthy Bailey Gaither, the Spartans top WR who was lost for the 2018 season in Game 4.

** 2018 starting DL Salosi Latu is awaiting being granted a medical redshirt season, and being allowed to play in 2019.

Champ Logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

San Jose State:

Key losses: TE Josh Oliver (Jacksonville Jaguars); Dakari Monroe (KC Chiefs); Boogie Roberts (LA Rams)

Returning Starters: Defense = 6 (2** DL, 2 LB, 2 DB); Offense =  7 (QB, RB, 4 OL, 1 WR)

Excited about having an older, more experienced team. Twelve freshmen have started games for the Spartans the past two years, and a total of 52 freshman have played appeared in games. I'm also looking forward to a better O-line, with Minnesota transfer Quinn Oseland already grabbing a starting spot during the Spring, and also the return of a healthy Bailey Gaither, the Spartans top WR who was lost for the 2018 season in Game 4.

** 2018 starting DL Salosi Latu is awaiting being granted a medical redshirt season, and being allowed to play in 2019.

Which side of the ball will be most improved for SAN this coming year? 

14 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Which side of the ball will be most improved for SAN this coming year? 

I'm hoping it is the offense, and specifically QB protection. Last season's O'line only had one senior starter, and five freshmen or sophomores started games. Two transfer players, the previously mentioned Quinn Oseland, and JC All-American Scott Breslin should provide an upgrade and they have or will most likely bump a couple of starters from last season. Two highly regarded redshirted freshmen linemen from last year, Anthony Pardue and Max Barth, will also most likely get into the mix. QB Josh Love's play took a big jump in 2018, and he enters the season as the clear No. 1. I really like our WR group, with the return of Bailey Gaither, and the emergence of deep threat Tre Walker.  Depth at QB should Love go down is a concern.

Champ Logo.jpg

35 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

I'm hoping it is the offense, and specifically QB protection. Last season's O'line only had one senior starter, and five freshmen or sophomores started games. Two transfer players, the previously mentioned Quinn Oseland, and JC All-American Scott Breslin should provide an upgrade and they have or will most likely bump a couple of starters from last season. Two highly regarded redshirted freshmen linemen from last year, Anthony Pardue and Max Barth, will also most likely get into the mix. QB Josh Love's play took a big jump in 2018, and he enters the season as the clear No. 1. I really like our WR group, with the return of Bailey Gaither, and the emergence of deep threat Tre Walker.  Depth at QB should Love go down is a concern.

San has gotten some really good pass catchers in recent memory. Looking forward to watching. 

Off the top of my head....

We lose 2 on defense (LB Tavai, DE Choi)  DLine might actually improve without Choi.

The entire Oline returns, RB Holley, 2 wr starters in Byrd and Ward, Qb McDonald.  Off season we picked up former Cal wr Stovall. 

We lose 2 on offense (WR Armstrong-Brown, Slot Ursua) 

We return 3 DLinemen Akoteu, Ta'ala and Padello.  3 LBs Mautatia, Pavihi, and Sanitoa who took over when Tavai was done for the season. CB Farris II returns with Ford moving to Nickel.  2 Safeties return Okeke and Bethley.   

Special team our Punter Gaudion and Kicker Meskell returns. 

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.....THE ENTIRE COACHING STAFF RETURNS!!!!   That hasn't happened since 2008. 

4 hours ago, madmartigan said:

I could easily google this, but how have ReTreadford's recruiting classes looked since he arrived? What is his recruiting philosophy? I think if you kept the best central valley players in town you'd have a very good team. 

dunno if he really has a quantifiable recruiting philosophy beyond getting the best players he thinks are fits for his system.   he's produced a 4* signee out of nowhere two years running, though, and if we hang onto Jaden Casey (tall task given that his suitors have gone from the oregon states of the world to +++++ing alabama) then it'll be three years running

For CSU (where the hell are you @RamSack) we actually only return only 3 true starters.  We're upgrading though.  There were only two starters on the O-line that I would welcome back, and one returns so that's a good thing.  We've still got issues there though.  Collin Hill looks to be the guy at QB and if he lives up to his potential then it's exciting.  If not, Patrick O'Brian looks like a pretty solid option.  As is the case with most (not all) of the positions, I think we enjoy addition by attrition at RB.  We lose two NFL receivers but Jackson and Hall are more than capable of filling those shoes.  The secondary should be better, as well as the D-Line.  With Jones, Phillips, Hubbard and Bombek looking to start on the D-Line I expect a real upgrade.  We've actually finally got depth in that unit that I'm excited about.  We lost Tre Thomas and Josh Watson in the LB corps and that hurts a lot, but Max McDonald is back with some significant talent around him.  I'm not claiming that these young guns who lack experience are poised to wreck the conference, but I do think we're better with them.

The returnees I'm most excited about are Warren Jackson who was an absolute stud vs Alabama, Marcus McElroy who I thought was the best back on the team last year but had limited carries along with the return of a (hopefully) finally healthy Marvin Kinsey.  Also, Rashad Ajayi started every game as a true frosh last year and showed that he deserved it.  CSU's season will come down to the O-Line, and despite one returning starter that's looking like one of the two big unknowns.

The other big unkown?  Coaches.  The O-Line didn't seem to absorb the offense very well in year one of the new staff and the D looked completely lost under the new regime.  I do believe that Bobo is back and will be the best Bobo we've seen yet.  I'm suspicious yet of his coordinators.

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

dunno if he really has a quantifiable recruiting philosophy beyond getting the best players he thinks are fits for his system.   he's produced a 4* signee out of nowhere two years running, though, and if we hang onto Jaden Casey (tall task given that his suitors have gone from the oregon states of the world to +++++ing alabama) then it'll be three years running

Sure he gets 1 or 2 kids a year that have Boise State type offers, but tends to recruit really low IQ players.  No emphasis on grades or character.  No #ivyoffers.

My thoughts on Boise

Key losses: Defensive Coordinator Andy Avalos (replaced by EWU DC Schmedding - one of FCS top DCs), QB Brett Rypien, RB Alex Mattison, WRs Sean Modster and AJ Richardson, TE Chase Blakely, DE Durrant Miles, STUD Jabril Frazier, MLB Tyson Maeva, CB Tyler Horton.

I would say 6 returning starters on offense (entire O-line plus WR Hightower). 

Then 8 returning starters on defense. (I would count Curtis Weaver as starter over Frazier - they split time with Frazier starting - Weaver had better stats). 

Kicker/Punter will be by the dude who only handled kickoffs last year.

On offense, WR group will be interesting. Lots of playmakers with Hightower, Evans (an enigma whom all the reporters dubbed the best WR in the team last year - then he was hurt all year but played in 5 burning a redshirt), and Shakir (a future star). 

Quarterback is going to be faster than Rypien and able to run some read option. I think it will almost certainly be R-So Chase Cord, who’s coming off of an ACL tear. He suited up and threw gingerly in spring, so should be good to go this fall.

TE has a huge JC 4* transfer who probably wont be used driving fans crazy. A few other dudes return who have made plays.

Offensive line lost a lot of the 2nd string so developing youngsters will be key. All five starters return.

On defense, the line will be solid. Linebackers a question mark. Safeties and nickel has a ton of depth. But only 2 CBs with starting experience (or any experience) and absolutely unknown behind them.

Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back preseason champs! 

We lost our two best best players (Tavai & Ursua) and also Zeno Choi but we pretty much have everyone coming back.

Our QBs is solid for the next 2 years. McDonald looked solid during Spring Ball 

We return Holly, Furuta and Miles Reed will get extended carries

I would say even with Ursua gone we are pretty loaded with receivers. Might stil add former CAL WR Kanawai Now to the group.

OLine was really young last year and expect them to make a stride.

DLine has added some depth. I have no idea who's coming out as the starters.

LBs looks to be Pavihi & Matautia with Jeremiah Pritchard, Khoury Bethley & Paul Scott rotating

Our secondary has a lot of experience coming back but I'm not sold on the 2 Bishop Gorman Safeties (Hicks/Okeke). Others could be pushing for PT. Roe Farris is solid at corner. Don't know who the other will be 

I would say this team should be even better talent wise and a year in the system. But for sure we have a tough schedule. I do like our chances at beating Arizona & Oregon State 

Related image

Gone

Offense: Tackles Tyler Roemer (although he was already gone), Ryan Pope; TE Kahale Warring,  WR Fred Trevillion

Defense: LBs Ronley Lakalaka, Parker Baldwin;  DT Noble Hall

John Baron for FG and kickoffs

Returning

Offense

RBs Juwan Washington, Chase Jasmin;TE Parker Houston ;  WRs Ethan Dedeaux, Tim Wilson (both are sleepers, imo); no one standout-worthy on the Oline but they were young and most played a lot, theoretically should be improved

Defense 

CB Ron Smith; LBs Khyava Tezino, Kaelin Hemphill, a lot of plug and play folks as well

Paging @k5james for a better analysis though...

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Sure he gets 1 or 2 kids a year that have Boise State type offers, but tends to recruit really low IQ players.  No emphasis on grades or character.  No #ivyoffers.

i grade this bait a C.  

10 hours ago, Headbutt said:

For CSU (where the hell are you @RamSack) we actually only return only 3 true starters.  We're upgrading though.  There were only two starters on the O-line that I would welcome back, and one returns so that's a good thing.  We've still got issues there though.  Collin Hill looks to be the guy at QB and if he lives up to his potential then it's exciting.  If not, Patrick O'Brian looks like a pretty solid option.  As is the case with most (not all) of the positions, I think we enjoy addition by attrition at RB.  We lose two NFL receivers but Jackson and Hall are more than capable of filling those shoes.  The secondary should be better, as well as the D-Line.  With Jones, Phillips, Hubbard and Bombek looking to start on the D-Line I expect a real upgrade.  We've actually finally got depth in that unit that I'm excited about.  We lost Tre Thomas and Josh Watson in the LB corps and that hurts a lot, but Max McDonald is back with some significant talent around him.  I'm not claiming that these young guns who lack experience are poised to wreck the conference, but I do think we're better with them.

The returnees I'm most excited about are Warren Jackson who was an absolute stud vs Alabama, Marcus McElroy who I thought was the best back on the team last year but had limited carries along with the return of a (hopefully) finally healthy Marvin Kinsey.  Also, Rashad Ajayi started every game as a true frosh last year and showed that he deserved it.  CSU's season will come down to the O-Line, and despite one returning starter that's looking like one of the two big unknowns.

The other big unkown?  Coaches.  The O-Line didn't seem to absorb the offense very well in year one of the new staff and the D looked completely lost under the new regime.  I do believe that Bobo is back and will be the best Bobo we've seen yet.  I'm suspicious yet of his coordinators.

Headbutt >> now you're really in trouble!  Supposed to wait for RamSack!  Hmmm... I'll try to clean up yer mess, and hope RS gets here soon to clean up both of our messes.  :)

Offense; HC & OC Bobo returns with only a limp (75+% Healthier & Hungrier) from his Neuropathy scare, which is huge progress & good news, compared to '18.  Rams return 4 Starters here, QB being hugely important Talent & Experience/Knowledge within the Pro-O.  

QB = Upon taking the WR Coach job @ GreenBay (after producing NFL talents Hollywood, Garrett, Williams, Bisi Johnson)... Alvis Whitted referred casually to Colin Hill an NFL QB.  Hill returns fully healthy.  CH knows the Bobo Pro-O inside-out.  So think Nick Stevens in season his season #3 as a Starter, w/ a canon-arm & quicker feet, even after 2 ACL's.  

OL = the most "unknown/unproven" unit on the team...  2018 new OL Coach, new blocking schemes, 3 Injuries mid-season, basically a mess.  2019 2 Starters return (Wesley & Taylor who had shoulder surgery), both excellent OL, and 5 young OL who got a few Starts and lots of play-time in '19.  1 JC signee OT was starting in Spring and did well (Storement), 2nd JC OL arrives in Fall (he played under Rams OL Coach 1 yr @ Ohio U).  

WR = Rams lost 2 Starters, as per Headbutt... however it may be possible that this position actually improves via Jr. Warren Jackson (has a few Starts, caught 2 TD's vs Bama his Fr season, 6'5"x215, fast), Soph. Nikko Hall (no starts but played liberally '18, ), and 4* Grad Xfer from Auburn Nate -Craig-Meyers... and a host of others behind them.  Hmmmm...

Defense:  I count 7 Starters returning from another unit that in '18 was Learning the complex SEC level D employed by Jancek (new DC in '18), but was also busy breaking in about 6 Fr/RS Fr/Soph Starters on the D.  Key Returnees are Emmanuel Jones (DE), Ajai (CB), Phillips & Hubbard (DT's), and Max McDonald (LB), and there's about 6 more young cats who proved themselves in '18.   They were inconsistent & often not good at stopping the Run or Pass Rush/D.  The great news is, the D keeps all of that considerable Young Talent that's now Experienced and adds in some more proven excellent DL players (former Starters Toby McBride, Richard King from injuries) + a Grad xfer OLB/DE/Rusher from ASU (Bates?).  Much improvement in '19 for this highly Talented, & now Knowledgable unit.

I gotta stop now... I hear RamSack walking in the front Door.