Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Aztecs Reloading: Transfers / Recruits linked to SDSU

We're now officially one transfer away from transfer portal looking like this:

tumblr_of930169gX1tajor5o6_r2_500.gif

We have two schollies remaining in what is an increasingly active transfer market. Here's a list of the transfers for which the Aztecs have been reported as being in contention:

San Diego-area recruits / possible bouncebacks

- Boogie Ellis (Duke de-commit): #38 prospect f last year's class according to ESPN; Mission Bay HS SG had us in his final three X Memphis X

- Miles Norris (Oregon, Sit 1 w/3 yrs): 4* PF ranked #81 in ESPN's T100 for 2018; local kid from Chula Vista X La Tortilleria X

- Warren Washington (Oregon St, Sit 1 w/3 yrs): 6'11 3* PF from Escondido

Other Transfers

- Shakur Juiston (UNLV, grad w/1 yr): Double-double machine; SDSU mentioned as an early possible destination

- Justice Sueing (Cal, Sit 1 w/2 yrs): 6'7 215lb SF with island roots; 4* SF who avg. 14/6 last season X Ohio St. X

- Yanni Wetzell (Vandy, grad w/1 yr): 6'10 235lb PF/C from New Zealand; can hit the 3 and space the floor √ COMMITTED

- Jemari Baker (Kentucky, Sit 1 w/3 yrs): HS teammate of Matt Mitchell in IE; 4* SG and #66 prospect of class of 2017 X Arizona X

Recruits

- Jaden McDaniels: 5* prospect ranked #7 in this incoming year's class. 

- Boogie Ellis: Covered above

In addition, we already have three incoming transfers eligible this next season - Wazzu transfer Malachi Flynn, Santa Clara grad KJ Feagin, and JUCO stud Trey Pulliam. It is possible we may end up with 1 or 2 more players than we will have schollies, which brings with it its own set of issues.

tl;dr:

303b35.jpg

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

31 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

So, did you get any of these guys?

Wetzell

Woo Hoo! reloaded!

But seriously, we had three schollies to give when Jalen declared. The JC kid committed day 1 of the signing period (smart move kid!). The staff, apparently has been working this Wetzell kid since March. Guessing we won't hear anything else unless and until Jaden decides or the staff gets an early in indication as to what he's going to do.

There's no room at the inn for any of these guys.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Miles Norris to UC Santa Barbara.  

Amazing. I will have to check my spreadsheet, but I believe this would officially put UCSB higher rated than any MW team. Granted if UNM got rid of a few 2* (they are at 16 players now) then it will be close. MW should pull in UCSB. They do have some MBB history.

19 hours ago, thatsmymammy said:

Amazing. I will have to check my spreadsheet, but I believe this would officially put UCSB higher rated than any MW team. Granted if UNM got rid of a few 2* (they are at 16 players now) then it will be close. MW should pull in UCSB. They do have some MBB history.

The last thing UNLV needs is another team in the conference that owns them like property. They got more Prestige Worldwide than a harbor full of boats 'n hoes.

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The last thing UNLV needs is another team in the conference that owns them like property. They got more Prestige Worldwide than a harbor full of boats 'n hoes.

Depends on what you value more.  Overall h2h record, or more recent memory?  :hmmm:

All time, UNLV is 30-10 against us. 

Since Tark left, UCSB has a winning record of 7-6 vs the Rebels and has won 4 of the last 5 meetings, which happened between 2006 and 2013.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Depends on what you value more.  Overall h2h record, or more recent memory?  :hmmm:

All time, UNLV is 30-10 against us. 

Since Tark left, UCSB has a winning record of 7-6 vs the Rebels and has won 4 of the last 5 meetings, which happened between 2006 and 2013.

That's the association I have. In my mind, every time I line up UCSB and UNLV, I always attach the "L" to the latter. 

20 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That's the association I have. In my mind, every time I line up UCSB and UNLV, I always attach the "L" to the latter. 

More recent memory it is.  

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Jaden McDaniels is staying home, commits to Washington.

Disappointing but not surprising.

Looking forward to see if the staff has someone else in mind for that last scholarship or if the hold it in reserve like they have foe the last few years.  We still could use another PF/C. Arop is rehabilitating an injury so not sure of his availability. J Mensah and the NZ kid should help but not sure if that's enough. Joel starting seeing the floor more towards the end of last season. Hope the progress continues.  Maybe Narain is finally over being Canada soft and will step up for us this year.  One can only hope.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Disappointing but not surprising.

Looking forward to see if the staff has someone else in mind for that last scholarship or if the hold it in reserve like they have foe the last few years.  We still could use another PF/C. Arop is rehabilitating an injury so not sure of his availability. J Mensah and the NZ kid should help but not sure if that's enough. Joel starting seeing the floor more towards the end of last season. Hope the progress continues.  Maybe Narain is finally over being Canada soft and will step up for us this year.  One can only hope.

If SDSU is interested, Warren Washington remains unsigned.  I heard on AztecMesa that USD has put out feelers.  But UCSB is done for this recruiting cycle. 

5 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

If SDSU is interested, Warren Washington remains unsigned.  I heard on AztecMesa that USD has put out feelers.  But UCSB is done for this recruiting cycle. 

They're all just names to me until I see them on the court. Hope they find someone good.

Forgot to mention the freshman, Johnson. Maybe he has some game.

We have 6 or 7 guys chasing 80 minutes of playing time.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

I hope they bring in somebody good as well. However, I've been crossing my fingers for two months that Narain would transfer in order to open up another scholarship and that hasn't worked so I'm preparing myself for another disappointing season similar to 2018-2019.

Boom goes the dynamite.

23 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I hope they bring in somebody good as well. However, I've been crossing my fingers for two months that Narain would transfer in order to open up another scholarship and that hasn't worked so I'm preparing myself for another disappointing season similar to 2018-2019.

I choose to be optimistic. This Wetzell dude is a legit man. At 6' 10", 240 he's the biggest guy on the squad.  Dutcher is selling him as a stretch 4 but a guy his size can make a living down low in this league. For sure at the 4, we got bigger and older. Arop played well last year with an injury. There's room to be optimistic that we can get more from him. I think our guards are better and as always there's, the potential for a kid to step up, which is the best thing about college hoops.

https://goaztecs.com/news/2019/5/8/mens-basketball-san-diego-state-hoops-adds-yanni-wetzell.aspx

https://vucommodores.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4299

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Aztecs add Class of '20 PG Lamont Butler

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2019-06-19/sdsu-aztecs-basketball-lamont-butler-commit-riverside-poly-moreno-valley

Quote for all of the BSU fans running down Acker:

Another factor: newly hired assistant coach Chris Acker from Boise State.

Acker replaced Rod Palmer, who left for Mick Cronin’s staff at UCLA and had been the lead recruiter with Butler. But Acker had recruited Butler at Boise State and knew him even better.

“It changed a lot,” Butler said. “Coach Acker and I have a really good relationship outside basketball. When he joined the staff, it really opened my eyes to San Diego State.”

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Notes from the San Diego Swish Summer League.

No Shows:

Devin Watson

Malachai Flynn

Nathan Mensah

Narain is still Canadian.

Matt still thinks he's a 5'10" point guard stuck in a Tight End's body.

Skylar Spencer is still good and still can't shoot a free throw. He was posting up some fools though.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 6/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, SDSUfan said:

Notes from the San Diego Swish Summer League.

No Shows:

Devin Watson

Malachai Flynn

Nathan Mensah

Narain is still Canadian.

Matt still thinks he's a 5'10" point guard stuck in a Tight End's body.

Skylar Spencer is still good and still can't shoot a free throw. He was posting up some fools though.

I got to get down to watch a few of these games. Can't beat the price of admission...

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I got to get down to watch a few of these games. Can't beat the price of admission...

Probably going to hit a couple Thursday. The son of a colleague is playing on one of the teams. One of the few High School kids.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke