Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Everything UNLV During the Summer Doldrums Thread

18 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I cant say that for sure. I guess some of you can. I was excited about next season. 

Now that excitement is replaced with uncertainty. 

Im waiting for a signing that will get me there. Jenkins wont do it, but I will still take it at this point.

With all due respect, I wasn’t referring to just next year. 

Maybe Marv will end up being a great coach somewhere. He was definitely a nice guy, and I wish him well. 

7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Maybe Marv will end up being a great coach somewhere. He was definitely a nice guy, and I wish him well. 

Maybe Marv will, maybe TJ will.

No one knows.

58 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Marv was a nice guy up until this past season, maybe the end of the previous season when expectations (McCoy’s stock falling off a cliff etc) weren’t meeting reality. 

I think the combination of the dwindling attendance/enthusiasm and the high expectations to win now really threw him for a loop. The expectations this last season seemed to have caught him off guard, he must have thought he had a minimum 5 years guaranteed at UNLV and that’s why recruited freshman only when he took the job.

I don’t know what he was promised when he started here but he made the colossal mistake that UNLV would do 5-6 year rebuild with project players. He needed another Hardy/Juiston on the team but he whiffed on a lot of recruits.

I do wonder if UNLV got wind of those recruiting allegations against Menzies and that factored into the equation to fire him. 

Ultimately, the pressure got to him and that led to some odd statements about the fanbase and whatnot. 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, qwelish said:

Some of the schedule upgrades are from Menzies. TJ is getting credit for all of it.

Doesnt really matter.

MM was scheduling to the roster he was expecting to have. I bet the ath dept is responsible moreso for further upgrades to boost tickets and away revenue.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:19 AM, Rosegreen said:

Link to support this claim? 

On 5/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, Rosegreen said:

Lol. 

And Q hasn’t responded yet but I just want to clarify that I’m not saying TJO deserves credit for the recent schedule announcements. I know that publicly DRF has said she has spoken to a few P5 schools. This was a few months ago. If anyone deserves credit, it’s probably her. 

Looks like @qwelish was wrong again defending Mediocre Marv. From Quickdraws link: 

A difference in scheduling philosophy existed between previous UNLV basketball coach Marvin Menzies and athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois.

He wanted to play more winnable games, scheduling a home-and-home with Pacific and facing the likes of Florida A&M and Prairie View A&M. Reed-Francois pushed for more challenging opponents and used her friendship with then-Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin to arrange a home-and-home that began last season.

Ouch.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:29 PM, Rosegreen said:

Looks like @qwelish was wrong again defending Mediocre Marv. From Quickdraws link: 

Not really. It makes me correct. He was scheduling to win games with a very young team. 

It also proves that DRF is in control of scheduling as I stated and as was discussed on the radio yesterday.

Totz will of course say good things, but DRF may have scheduled Totz out of a job. He would not have scheduled like this for year one. 

So of course you are wrong again. 

Also, the thing i was wrong about was something said in a thread. Youve been wrong about scheduling, stats, players and etc. No comparison on how wrong youve been on many topics.

Nice try.

I don’t think DRF scheduled Otz out of a job.. most of these teams could be beatable, and the team will be up for better competition. We just have no idea how good our team will be right away, they might surprise us all. 

On 5/20/2019 at 7:33 PM, Meister_Rebel said:

Thank you DRF. 

"UNLV won’t be playing A&M schools anymore unless it’s Texas A&M."

Unlike the Q DRF has some balls.

What the fuq lady? Uncalled for. My balls are every bit as big as your moms. Ask her the next time theyre not in her mouth.

We will see if DRF has scheduled Totz out of a job and how many of these games he actually wins. I hope he wins all of them.

Lets see where your balls are. Lets wager on mwc win total. Put your money where your mouth is. I got 100$ on under 11 mwc wins, you have over. If you dont think Totz will match or exceed MM win total from last year, pipe down. Youre talking out of your ass.

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I don’t think DRF scheduled Otz out of a job.. most of these teams could be beatable, and the team will be up for better competition. We just have no idea how good our team will be right away, they might surprise us all. 

I clearly said may have.

Also, its easy to argue on both sides. If youre confident I will happily wager with you too.

If the mandate is win now, as was sold to us all, it would be a pressurized situation. Of course this is actually a program reset and Totz is now on a 3 year plan that actually makes the move sort of dumb.

This year its a worse team, better schedule, lowered expectations and probably a middle of the pack finish with no postseason. How is this improvement? Please explain.