Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Everything UNLV During the Summer Doldrums Thread

Here is a serious question. How many games must the Rebs win in order to keep their football coach?  7 or 8 is my guess but I am not closely tied to the school or the fans. Also 7 or 8 wins would still give him a mediocre record overall. Yet 9 wins may be beyond his ability.

Unlv fans please give me a number and if below 8 please give me a reason.  Playing in a new centrally located stadium is a big plus but winning seems essential.

7 hours ago, 1066 said:

Here is a serious question. How many games must the Rebs win in order to keep their football coach?  7 or 8 is my guess but I am not closely tied to the school or the fans. Also 7 or 8 wins would still give him a mediocre record overall. Yet 9 wins may be beyond his ability.

Unlv fans please give me a number and if below 8 please give me a reason.  Playing in a new centrally located stadium is a big plus but winning seems essential.

6. Bowl game or bust.  The AD basically said so.

16 hours ago, 1066 said:

General consensus is Sanchez needs a bowl game to get another year or two..................BUT..........Sanchez has one thing Menzies didn't have, major $$ boosters whose name is on the new football complex (Fertitta) ..........so, IMHO, I could see Sanchez getting another year even if he gets 5 wins & now bowl, if there's a rash of injuries to key players.......that along with major supporter pressure might get Sanchez another year to see what he can do in the new stadium.

Now, we've seen DRF dump Menzies for her own guy, which could also happen to Sanchez, but as noted above, Sanchez has big time local ties Menzies never got close to having & on the surface it seems that recruiting has taken a step up with the new stadium & football complex, so it wouldn't surprise me if Sanchez gets a couple of years to see if he can work some magic with the shiny new baubles that UNLV FB has to offer 

With the right coaching, we should win at least six games.  Vanderbilt is a winnable game even though they are an SEC opponent.  NW is a loss.  Southern Utah is a win.  Arkansas State should be a win.  Should beat Hawaii and San Jose State plus at least two other teams.

45 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

With the right coaching, we should win at least six games.  Vanderbilt is a winnable game even though they are an SEC opponent.  NW is a loss.  Southern Utah is a win.  Arkansas State should be a win.  Should beat Hawaii and San Jose State plus at least two other teams.

With Cotton out it's hard to say what will happen.  Not that I was a Cotton fan but, honestly taking an OL guy who was going to be the running game coordinator this year and putting him in as OC leaves a lot of question marks.  He could be the best OC we've ever had or he could flounder with the game getting over his head.  Time will tell us what we've got.

I still have nightmares watching Caleb Herring having the worst game of his life and us getting trounced by Southern Utah under the Haucks watch.  I'm not counting anything a win until it's a win.

2 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

With Cotton out it's hard to say what will happen.  Not that I was a Cotton fan but, honestly taking an OL guy who was going to be the running game coordinator this year and putting him in as OC leaves a lot of question marks.  He could be the best OC we've ever had or he could flounder with the game getting over his head.  Time will tell us what we've got.

I still have nightmares watching Caleb Herring having the worst game of his life and us getting trounced by Southern Utah under the Haucks watch.  I'm not counting anything a win until it's a win.

Justice was a head coach at the D-2 level, so he should be able to handle OC duties at the D-1 level.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, UNLV2001 said:

General consensus is Sanchez needs a bowl game to get another year or two..................BUT..........Sanchez has one thing Menzies didn't have, major $$ boosters whose name is on the new football complex (Fertitta) ..........so, IMHO, I could see Sanchez getting another year even if he gets 5 wins & now bowl, if there's a rash of injuries to key players.......that along with major supporter pressure might get Sanchez another year to see what he can do in the new stadium.

Now, we've seen DRF dump Menzies for her own guy, which could also happen to Sanchez, but as noted above, Sanchez has big time local ties Menzies never got close to having & on the surface it seems that recruiting has taken a step up with the new stadium & football complex, so it wouldn't surprise me if Sanchez gets a couple of years to see if he can work some magic with the shiny new baubles that UNLV FB has to offer 

Sanchez gets another year even if he gets 4 wins. Like you said, Follow the #FERTITTAMONEY---Sanchez is the ultimate salesman, he closed the sh*t out of the Fertittas on him (and every other UNLV booster willing to put their money where their mouth IS) AND is the sole reason we have that $35 million practice facility on the way. Just by getting that alone, he's arguably the most accomplished head coach in UNLV Football's prestigious history.--- 16-32 record and all

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

3 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Sanchez gets another year even if he gets 4 wins. Like you said, Follow the #FERTITTAMONEY---Sanchez is the ultimate salesman, he closed the sh*t out of the Fertittas on him (and every other UNLV booster willing to put their money where their mouth) AND is and is the sole reason we have that $35 million practice facility on the way. Just by getting that alone, he's arguably the most accomplished head coach in UNLV Football's prestigious history.--- 16-32 record and all

Agree - Without much on field results Sanchez did get the Fertitta Football Complex & he's lucked (or unlucked as it might turnout) into a new stadium ...........remains to be seen if the LV Stadium is a positive or a negative for the UNLV FB program.

My off the top negatives would be:

1) Lack of onsite parking - NFL fans can probably abide without close parking because games will be events, but i'm not sure casual fans will be all fired up to park remotely and shuttle bus to the stadium to see UNLV vs most opponents. UNLV hosting a major travelling P5 won't be hard to sell, but UNLV vs SJSU isn't that appealing 

2) Attendance - Lack of parking could hurt attendance & seeing 3,000 to 7,000 people in a big domed 65,000 seat stadium won't be a good visual no matter who many sections & tiers get tarped off (think SDSU 2.0 only worse)

3) Let's say UNLV does start playing better and landing beter talent.......great & that's a good thing, but UNLV is still a G5 program and the stadium probably won't sway the majority of 4 & 5 star recruits because UNLV is still G5.........and the fact UNLV is in the MWC, again the casual local fans won't see the MWC as anything they really need to go see

4) If the first two items do really become reality, then UNLV might have to rethink their use of the stadium and if it's financially unfeasable to continue on the the new stadium, it won't be a good scene for UNLV to have to go limping back to Sam Boyd if it will even exist in the next decade.......and if UNLV can't turn it around in the new stadium, I think it might be a hard sell to try and rangle the funding for an smaller on-campus stadium that's more sized to the UNLV fan base. ...........and at that point, I really don't know what UNLV could do, or who they could hire to make FB viable 

So, Sanchez has really had some things go his way, that could be a real boost for UNLV FB or it could be a real mess 

On 7/23/2019 at 4:32 PM, quickdraw said:

Well UNLV is expected to only win 4 and getting to 6 seems to be a tough proposition.

https://lasvegassun.com/blogs/talking-points/2019/jul/23/countdown-to-college-football-picking-every-mounta/

Line on the Over 4 is 130 & over -110.......based on that they think UNLV could get to 5 or more wins as you'd have to lay more $$ on the over than on the under ..........of that book took some big $$ on UNLV over 4 wins & dropping the line to -130 is to try & shift $$ to the under where they book has less exposure 

If betting the Over 4, you'd have to bet $130 to win $100

If betting the Under 4 you'd have to bet $110 to win $100

Generally these lines would be 4.5 wins so that 4 wins or 5 wins would be needed to win the bet 

Every year of the Sanchez era starts with hype and bowl talk. Only to see Sanchez flame out and get 4 wins. 

We’ll see what happens and if Rogers learned to throw the ball over the offseason. Another disaster of a season and Sanchez gets the hook. 

Yeah it’s always something that happens in the way of injuries. Even then there have been some early season bad losses as well. My logical mind looks at the schedule and expect another 4 wins. The Rebel fan in me hopes that it will all start to come together in a big way. Armari healthy all year and actually is a dynamic QB. The new OC turns out to be a genius that “no one knew”. The running game doesn’t skip a beat but it’s success comes through 5 or 6 guys not named Rogers. We find an aggressive pass rush gets pressure and sacks.