Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Everything UNLV During the Summer Doldrums Thread

On 6/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, jdgaucho said:

Here's an old face for ya Rebel fans.  In 1994 Kebu Stewart was BW Player of the Year.  The 35th pick in the '97 NBA Draft selected by Philly, ultimately played a decade overseas.  

How did that guy end up transferring to Cal State Bakersfield of all places?

666371032_1994UNLVKebuStewartBWhoopsplayerofyear.thumb.png.b56018e65a2aee11de626f91c4ddf3a4.png

Kebu was a very talented player, best signee by far of the Rollie error.   Although talented he had some maturity, work ethic, issues at the time.  He was suspended towards the latter part of the 94-95 season for some NCAA violations.

He left UNLV when Bayno was hired.  Bayno wanted him to sit out the 95-96 season to concentrate on his academics, work on maturing, but Stewart wasn’t interested and decided to transfer.

He landed at Cal State Bakersfield as they were the top DII program at the time, Pat Douglass had them rolling, and by going DII he did not have to sit out a season.

Believe he still lives in the LA area.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:02 AM, 4UNLV said:

throwback, since the draft was yesterday..3 in the first round.

Great night for sure.  Jerry was so proud to see so many of his guys drafted (George Ackles went early in the 2nd round).  After the draft several of us went back to Larry’s room at the Marriott Marquee and had a good time.  Always the prankster Larry said he was going to get hammered (he drank ginger ale).

Unfortunately it was also sad as this was for all intent the end of the run.  The hot tub story ran about a month earlier, Jerry already announced his decision to resign and the next morning everyone went their separate ways.

Some tidbits some may have forgotten or do not know, then Hornets coach Gene Littles really wanted Billy Owens instead of Larry Johnson but was over ruled by Alan Bristow who was the GM.  Bristow individually worked out each of the top prospects and Larry outperformed the others which cemented his decison.    

Stacey and Greg came very close to switching spots that night.  The Knicks really wanted Augmon, whose stock was slipping a bit heading into the draft.  The Clippers originally owned the 9th pick and were looking for a point guard and were strongly considering drafting Greg.  They ended up trading the pick to Atlanta who selected Augmon, while Greg went to the Knicks.

The old roommates almost ended up back together though as the Hawks were considering trading Stacey to Charlotte for Rex Chapman.

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

George Ackles went early in the 2nd round

That is an unappreciated fact from that team.  Ackles was the 29th pick, which today falls in the first round.  At that time there were only 27 teams (prior to the additions of Toronto, Memphis, and New Orleans).  Also unappreciated was that Ackles' backup (Elmore Spencer) was a first round NBA draft pick the following year (25th overall in '92).

So UNLV had 4 players drafted out of the first 29.

By far the biggest disappointment of that draft was that Anderson Hunt had declared for it as a junior.  Hunt was a great college scoring guard, but not big enough for the position in the NBA.  Tark wanted Hunt to stay so that he could spend a season developing him as a PG.  That last season for Tark could have been undefeated with Hunt, JR Rider, Evric Gray, Spencer, and Boney starting.  As it was they still won 22 consecutive games to end Tark's UNLV run.

26 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Donovan Yap has been putting on a show.  The whole staff has been out to watch him.  Villanova is starting to show interest.

san diego state, UNR, ASU, and several others, as well. UNLV has been front and center for every game he's played in the 7 tournament..

27 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

san diego state, UNR, ASU, and several others, as well. UNLV has been front and center for every game he's played in the 7 tournament..

TJ Otzelberger was one of the top recruiting assistants, and I feel like he will carry that over as a head coach.  I think we have a solid lead with Yap.

13 hours ago, quickdraw said:

UNLV Football ticket sales way up, well for us at least...

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jun/24/raiders-unlv-football-cheap-access-vegas-stadium/

Don't you think getting first dibs on seat selection in the new Raiders stadium is the driving force behind that?

1 hour ago, Jalapeno said:

Don't you think getting first dibs on seat selection in the new Raiders stadium is the driving force behind that?

I would imagine that's part of it. Also, i think they have a deal going on right now where whatever you pay for season tickets (2019-2020 season at Sam Boyd) you get locked into that price for tickets at the new stadium for 2020-2021. After that first year i'm sure prices will jump up a bit. 

Cheapest season tickets for this next season are like $100 per seat for the season (upper corner seats). 

Just now, BleedRed702 said:

I would imagine that's part of it. Also, i think they have a deal going on right now where whatever you pay for season tickets (2019-2020 season at Sam Boyd) you get locked into that price for tickets at the new stadium for 2020-2021. After that first year i'm sure prices will jump up a bit. 

Cheapest season tickets for this next season are like $100 per seat for the season (upper corner seats). 

I'd jump on those tickets if I lived in Las Vegas.  Paying under $20 per game to watch a college football at a new NFL stadium would be a steal.