Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Everything UNLV During the Summer Doldrums Thread

13 minutes ago, TheJackel said:

Does the article say why?

Maybe because UNLV booster Cliff Findlay funded the program to help UNLV and over the years UNLV hasn't gotten a big return on Findlay's investment ?!?! :shrug:

50 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Wow, Findlay Prep is no more. 

Surprised it lasted this long.  It's been a bunch of years since Henderson International dropped their high school program which included those Findley Prep all-stars.  Look at Nix and Trinity International or look at all the other high school programs that are blowing up in basketball talent.  Las Vegas has a lot of basketball talent and places for them to attend.

I think Henderson International started their high school program again in 2018 but, they may not have wanted to keep the Findley association.

12 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Great get here, it would be nice for him to be immediately eligible..

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandaRandal/status/1131769055390490624/photo/1

I tried to post this the other day but couldn’t get it to get open.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/23/usc-transfer-grimes-feels-good-to-be-home-with-unl/

15 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Maybe because UNLV booster Cliff Findlay funded the program to help UNLV and over the years UNLV hasn't gotten a big return on Findlay's investment ?!?! :shrug:

FP closed up primarily for two reasons; Henderson decided to bring its program back and they want to be the primary tenants obviously.  The other is Cliff’s interest has wained in the program in recent years and he isn’t interested, at least right now, in pumping more money in the program to get what it needs to continue.

Certainly not any kind of huge blow to UNLV (most of the top prospects always went elsewhere anyways), but given this staff’s desire to build a wall around Clark County and get local prospects at UNLV it does hurt some.   

6 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

FP closed up primarily for two reasons; Henderson decided to bring its program back and they want to be the primary tenants obviously.  The other is Cliff’s interest has wained in the program in recent years and he isn’t interested, at least right now, in pumping more money in the program to get what it needs to continue.

Certainly not any kind of huge blow to UNLV (most of the top prospects always went elsewhere anyways), but given this staff’s desire to build a wall around Clark County and get local prospects at UNLV it does hurt some.   

Findley Prep didn't allow local players anyway.  I'm all for supporting the schools that support the local kids.  So Findley's waning support for non-local kids that went elsewhere for college anyway is OK with me.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:51 PM, NevadaFan said:

In the last 7 years Vegas has a losing record to Nevada in football, men’s basketball and baseball. Those are the only sports that matter. You know it, I know it. And those sports were competitive too - I should note that. 

BUT I think this warrants smack. Vegas is really good at the olys. Clearly better than Nevada and usually good enough to win the conference. 

Baseball matters no more than womens basketball or Volleyball.

Two sports matter.  Only.  The rest are fun to follow for us diehards and make us proud or dissapointed but basebalk does not belong in the same sentence as mens basketball let alone football 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

The NBA version of MLB's Lonnie Smith of the 1980's 

Smith is the only player to be a member of three different World Series winning teams (the Phillies, Cardinals, and Royals) within a single decade, and he did this in a six-year period.

In 1985 Smith was traded from St. Louis Cardinals to Kansas City Royals and both teams ended up in the World Series :banana: