Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Everything UNLV During the Summer Doldrums Thread

34 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Marvin told him personally.

Lol. 

And Q hasn’t responded yet but I just want to clarify that I’m not saying TJO deserves credit for the recent schedule announcements. I know that publicly DRF has said she has spoken to a few P5 schools. This was a few months ago. If anyone deserves credit, it’s probably her. 

3 hours ago, qwelish said:

Some of the schedule upgrades are from Menzies. TJ is getting credit for all of it.

Doesnt really matter.

MM was scheduling to the roster he was expecting to have. I bet the ath dept is responsible moreso for further upgrades to boost tickets and away revenue.

TJ seems to be stacking for 2020. So having all these as home games will definitely set the stage for a meaningful season.

Unless there are some impact signings, 2019-20 is looking like a .500 season.

We know MM was not responsible for UCLA, or Kansas State. MM lined up BYU, and the Maui Invite was scheduled while he was here, as was Cincinnati. Pretty sure DRF lined up Cal as part of the football game series..

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

We know MM was not responsible for UCLA, or Kansas State. MM lined up BYU, and the Maui Invite was scheduled while he was here, as was Cincinnati. Pretty sure DRF lined up Cal as part of the football game series..

Two pac 12 games were going to be scheduled. It was well known.

It was mentioned by me and ph and numerous times on twitter.

Kstate he can take credit for, although no one has stated how or when that game was negotiated.

38 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Lol. 

And Q hasn’t responded yet but I just want to clarify that I’m not saying TJO deserves credit for the recent schedule announcements. I know that publicly DRF has said she has spoken to a few P5 schools. This was a few months ago. If anyone deserves credit, it’s probably her. 

I agree. I believe almost all of these moves do not help the basketball program at this juncture. Maybe it is, but I fail to see how the roster is up to handling these match ups.

This is an AD trying to get away money and add ticket sales regardless of the state of the basketball program. Up scheduling now is a gimmick for money. 

These games almost all seem like loses. People are pretending that winning<losing if there are better names on the schedule. I dont see it.

I don’t know, Q, I think Cal and Cincinnati (they’ll be down this year) are beatable, maybe even K State, I don’t have a lot of faith in Bruce Weber, lol. I think these are the perfect type of games to play, there are no big juggernauts here, except UCLA just because they can get recruits no matter who the coach is. And for that matter, Cronin isn’t a great coach. 

We have no idea how good or bad the Rebs will be, I’m not sold that they are going to be terrible. This will be a good way to find out, rather than stacking wins against nobodies. It will also help get ready for conference play. 

12 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I don’t know, Q, I think Cal and Cincinnati (they’ll be down this year) are beatable, maybe even K State, I don’t have a lot of faith in Bruce Weber, lol. I think these are the perfect type of games to play, there are no big juggernauts here, except UCLA just because they can get recruits no matter who the coach is. And for that matter, Cronin isn’t a great coach. 

We have no idea how good or bad the Rebs will be, I’m not sold that they are going to be terrible. This will be a good way to find out, rather than stacking wins against nobodies. It will also help get ready for conference play. 

A wildcard of sorts.

This is so funny the way the assumptions are being made to support a point of view without any facts to base them on. 

Scheduling up is bad because it will generate more losses. 

The roster is in a rebuilding state so we will take a big step back.

Everything positive that DRF does is a gimmick. 

Most of the recent changes would have happened anyway under Marv.

Still over 4 months before the Rebels under Otz even step foot on the T&M floor and the season is already a failure. I sure hope that he can get it together for his 2nd season. We’ll probably be know in another week or two.

An article I read in the last day or two stated that for every 1000 season tickets sold that those butts in the seats generate over $1million in concession sales. Getting butts in the seats is critical to the survival of this program and that is a crucial objective for the AD.

Looking at how much more empty the T&M was year by year I wonder how many million$ were lost based on the long and slow rebuild system. Even the fans that were there were less than enthusiastic so were all probably were motivated to spend much money or at least I wasn’t. When the T&M is rockin’ it is a cash machine and even though that has been slipping for years having a coach that is active at getting out into the community to sell the program in the way that Fisher did years ago as SUDS is a great 1st step. Having an AD fully supporting and participating in those efforts is a big plus. 6 years of sliding into irrelevance won’t be reversed overnight but at least someone is giving the effort a “good old college try”.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

I agree. I believe almost all of these moves do not help the basketball program at this juncture. Maybe it is, but I fail to see how the roster is up to handling these match ups.

This is an AD trying to get away money and add ticket sales regardless of the state of the basketball program. Up scheduling now is a gimmick for money. 

These games almost all seem like loses. People are pretending that winning<losing if there are better names on the schedule. I dont see it.

Ultimately it’s just about a different mindset or more specifically culture in the program, you can’t be afraid to play these P5 programs or schedule based on your roster situation which is still a fluid situation.  

There’s talk about playing the UCLA game at the new UNLV/Raider stadium. Lot of ideas being thrown around and TJO has brought the program some much needed energy, not just him but his staff as well. These guys are hitting the pavement in the valley to recruit local and be seen at many events. 

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

An article I read in the last day or two stated that for every 1000 season tickets sold that those butts in the seats generate over $1million in concession sales. Getting butts in the seats is critical to the survival of this program and that is a crucial objective for the AD.

Looking at how much more empty the T&M was year by year I wonder how many million$ were lost based on the long and slow rebuild system. Even the fans that were there were less than enthusiastic so were all probably were motivated to spend much money or at least I wasn’t. When the T&M is rockin’ it is a cash machine and even though that has been slipping for years having a coach that is active at getting out into the community to sell the program in the way that Fisher did years ago as SUDS is a great 1st step. Having an AD fully supporting and participating in those efforts is a big plus. 6 years of sliding into irrelevance won’t be reversed overnight but at least someone is giving the effort a “good old college try”.

$62.50. That’s now much each of the 1k fans would have to spend per night with a 16 game home schedule to generate $1m. But it’s not that simple. Schools hedge their costs.

But your point is a good one. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

$62.50. That’s now much each of the 1k fans would have to spend per night with a 16 game home schedule to generate $1m. But it’s not that simple. Schools hedge their costs.

But your point is a good one. 

That seems a little far fetched but it was in one of the articles about UNLV and the T&M revenue. I tried to go back to find it but I must have exceeded my free views of the RJ. No way I’m subscribing especially if this is the kind of “New math” they use.

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Ultimately it’s just about a different mindset or more specifically culture in the program, you can’t be afraid to play these P5 programs or schedule based on your roster situation which is still a fluid situation.  

There’s talk about playing the UCLA game at the new UNLV/Raider stadium. Lot of ideas being thrown around and TJO has brought the program some much needed energy, not just him but his staff as well. These guys are hitting the pavement in the valley to recruit local and be seen at many events. 

I’m really hoping for Jhaylon Martinez.  I’m worried about Stanford getting him.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, 4UNLV said:

I get it. This schedule seems like its being loaded up for the 2020 season. Im resolved to it, Im not a fan of overscheduling for your roster.

But I get it. Lowered expectations are fine now. 

My barometer will be the mwc. 11 wins shouldnt be hard to come by since people say the conference stinks and declining, most of the good players are back and Totz is loading up with guys that fit his system.

2020 hopefully will be big things after a brief reset.

As far as tickets. I highly doubt casual fans are getting all worked up to see a mediocre UNLV team play smu any more than they would lmu.

Same with kstate over a team like valpo. Casual fans dont care but the difference is kstate recruits heavily in Las Vegas head to head vs UNLV. Valpo doesnt. Probably not a great idea to bring teams like that in until you can beat them. 

The jury is still out on how good this team will be. If theyre setting up for a tournament run, Totz is the man if he pulls it off.

17 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I get it. This schedule seems like its being loaded up for the 2020 season. Im resolved to it, Im not a fan of overscheduling for your roster.

But I get it. Lowered expectations are fine now. 

My barometer will be the mwc. 11 wins shouldnt be hard to come by since people say the conference stinks and declining, most of the good players are back and Totz is loading up with guys that fit his system.

2020 hopefully will be big things after a brief reset.

There are several of us on here who have NOT lowered expectations. That’s why we are in favor of a tougher schedule than what was done the last couple of years. MM was the one with lowered expectations, and it was obvious. 

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

There are several of us on here who have NOT lowered expectations. That’s why we are in favor of a tougher schedule than what was done the last couple of years. MM was the one with lowered expectations, and it was obvious. 

Noone can argue that.

But noone is touching the conference topic with a ten foot pole.

Whatever the plan is, I hope it works.

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Noone can argue that.

But noone is touching the conference topic with a ten foot pole.

Whatever the plan is, I hope it works.

I think if anything, many rebel fans now have resigned to the fact that it has been a cluster, and are going to wait till the Rebs are good again to come back. I, and several others here, are not one of those. We keep buying those season tickets, come hell or high water. 

We want to have fun again, and with MM gone, maybe we will see something that gives up hope that that will happen. Sadly, it wasn’t going to with MM. (And no, I was not in favor of cutting him loose this year unless Rick Pitino was walking through the door :D, but it has been done, and I’m not broken hearted about it.)

UNLV may or may not win next year, (we don’t know that they won’t)  but if I see a hint of what I think he has in mind, then I’m good with it. 

10 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

it wasn’t going to with MM.

I cant say that for sure. I guess some of you can. I was excited about next season. 

Now that excitement is replaced with uncertainty. 

Im waiting for a signing that will get me there. Jenkins wont do it, but I will still take it at this point.