Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

Everything UNLV During the Summer Doldrums Thread

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Thank you for starting an "Everything UNLV" thread. Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to post this.

UNLV Turning Point USA leader is racistAF. <-- Click. Or don't. NRATSFW, unless you happen to work at the burning cross factory.

^ Names self “queerbxtch”, walks around campus flipping people off, complains UNLV is violent and not safe. Lol so sad.  

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Thank you for starting an "Everything UNLV" thread. Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to post this.

UNLV Turning Point USA leader is racistAF. <-- Click. Or don't. NRATSFW, unless you happen to work at the burning cross factory.

That is some thread.

26 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

^ Names self “queerbxtch”, walks around campus flipping people off, complains UNLV is violent and not safe. Lol so sad.  

Maybe he has Hand Tourette's? I think you're being a little presumptuous...

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26715326/25-plus-years-tark-unlv-searching?platform=amp

How good is the job, really? What program or programs should UNLV reasonably aspire to be?

Borzello: It's good, but it's not great. When the job opened in March, we heard all sorts of big names: Rick Pitino, Tyronn Lue, Jason Kidd, Frank Martin. The idea that UNLV needed to -- and had the ability to -- hire a headline-grabbing name was prevalent. But it wasn't all that realistic. UNLV wasn't going to pay to hire one of those guys. The Rebels are reportedly paying new head coach TJ Otzelberger between $1.1 million and $1.5 million per year for the next five seasons; that's not on par with the majority of power-conference schools.

That said, they do have some of the best facilities in the Mountain West, a storied history and the allure of Las Vegas -- and it also helps that Las Vegas is the epicenter of summer basketball due to summer league, USA Basketball and grassroots tournaments. But it used to be the biggest game in town. There were no professional sports teams, so the Rebels were the team to watch in Vegas. That's obviously changed with the Vegas Golden Knights and will change again with the Raiders' move. Here's the bottom line: The program has advanced past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament once since Tark left. It's not the job it once was.

Gasaway: This is the best job in the Mountain West, so that's a superlative wrapped in a qualifier. Still, we shouldn't overstate the qualifier. For a relatively youthful coach like Otzelberger (he's 41), this is a great job and, more particularly, a great opportunity. True, the Rebels have little to show in terms of recent tournament success (or even appearances), but the recruiting was outstanding as recently as a few years ago under Dave Rice. It's not too outlandish to envision a new coach in 2019 restarting that particular motor as opposed to having to build one from scratch. In terms of on-court performance, there's no reason UNLV can't match what a rival like San Diego State, for example, was able to get done under Steve Fisher.

Medcalf: I think it's a good job. But it lacks the investment of comparable teams. I used the Equity in Athletics Data site to compare the budgets of Butler, TCU and UNLV, three middle-of-the-pack teams within their respective leagues last year. Their differences? UNLV has the smallest operating budget among the three schools ($1.07 million). It's barely second within that group in terms of total amount spent on men's basketball each year: TCU ($17 million), UNLV ($5.7 million) and Butler ($5.5 million). It also generates the lowest revenue from men's basketball ($5.7 million) among those schools. If you're not keeping up with Butler and TCU in the money game, your job might be an average one despite operating under a recognizable brand's name.

One of the tools needed to build a quality program and to shoot for a longer season is to play a stronger SOS and against P5 schools. While this may impact the W/L record somewhat it also allows the possibility of having an additional path to the dance other than the automatic bid via the conference tournament championship.

Equally important is the fact that a team needs to play tougher competition in order to get tougher. Coach Otz is definitely setting a higher standard right out of the gate with our OOC schedule. So year 1 going from the weakest OOC schedule in Rebel history to once again having a respectable schedule is what we all want.

11 hours ago, quickdraw said:

One of the tools needed to build a quality program and to shoot for a longer season is to play a stronger SOS and against P5 schools. While this may impact the W/L record somewhat it also allows the possibility of having an additional path to the dance other than the automatic bid via the conference tournament championship.

Equally important is the fact that a team needs to play tougher competition in order to get tougher. Coach Otz is definitely setting a higher standard right out of the gate with our OOC schedule. So year 1 going from the weakest OOC schedule in Rebel history to once again having a respectable schedule is what we all want.

Two pac12 games were actually already in the works by MM.

If it effects the w/l record, meaning you dont beat any of these teams, its moot. I didnt complain about strength of schedule because you schedule to your talent and team. Its a total goofy Vegas fan thing to complain about the schedule during a rebuild. MM guys stayed, so Totz does not need to rebuild. 

That said its totally unrealistic to pretend these moves put UNLV in range of an at-large in any way. Especially for a team you said was not winning the conference next year. 

That was a flip flop.

8 hours ago, qwelish said:

Two pac12 games were actually already in the works by MM.

If it effects the w/l record, meaning you dont beat any of these teams, its moot. I didnt complain about strength of schedule because you schedule to your talent and team. Its a total goofy Vegas fan thing to complain about the schedule during a rebuild. MM guys stayed, so Totz does not need to rebuild. 

That said its totally unrealistic to pretend these moves put UNLV in range of an at-large in any way. Especially for a team you said was not winning the conference next year. 

That was a flip flop.

In no way were Anthony Marshall and his team expected to beat UNC, but they did. That game rocketed UNLV back into national prominence and boosted recruiting, but if they had 'scheduled to their talent' that game never happens. You can't just schedule the Incarnate Word's of the world, and expect to generate any excitement or interest in the program, even during a rebuild. it's no wonder MM's teams didn't play up, they had no reason to, he sent a loud and clear message that there was no way they could beat anyone. Otz, if nothing else, is telling his team (and future teams/recruits) they are good enough to play with decent competition, let alone bringing fans back to the Mack to regain some excitement and something of a home court advantage.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

In no way were Anthony Marshall and his team expected to beat UNC, but they did. That game rocketed UNLV back into national prominence and boosted recruiting, but if they had 'scheduled to their talent' that game never happens. You can't just schedule the Incarnate Word's of the world, and expect to generate any excitement or interest in the program, even during a rebuild. it's no wonder MM's teams didn't play up, they had no reason to, he sent a loud and clear message that there was no way they could beat anyone. Otz, if nothing else, is telling his team (and future teams/recruits) they are good enough to play with decent competition, let alone bringing fans back to the Mack to regain some excitement and something of a home court advantage.

I'm sorry. I sincerely am not trying to insult or condescend, but with all due respect the points you made are non-points.

That was a 26 win team with a jr-sr back court that had played its entire careers together. That team averaged 25 wins per season for 5 straight years before that season.

This team is not that team. 

That team had numerous 4 star players, p5 transfers and legit depth and continuity year to year. Rice absolutely scheduled to the talent on the roster. But he continued to schedule like that even when talent and experience dipped and we saw the results. UNLV never had success like that again because Rice never adjusted the schedule to fit his roster. He scheduled himself out of the tournament year after year. 

Rice should have just focused on winning the conference by scheduling teams that mimic the style of play seen in the mwc.

No one had usu in the tournament until they won the conference. MM had success just focusing on winning the conference. The fans gave no credit. Everyone including the AD is somehow missing how important it is to just win your conference, and how that sets you up to dance.

Also, guys like Bill Self at Tulsa and Ralph Sampson used cupcake schedules to get their teams into the tournament. Look at Houstons ooc schedule from last year. Its a joke, but they beat all those teams and went into conference ranked.

Q, you know what I'm saying. Nobody is saying to go out and schedule Duke, Kansas, and Arizona in the same year with a rebuild, but you can't just play bottom feeder competition and expect any kind of enthusiasm from the fans, and kids want to play good teams. who wants to commit to playing SUU, or the sisters of the poor in an empty T&M. Get some decent competition in there, and recruit a few kids that are not 5 year projects. MM could have brought in a couple of transfers to go with his projects and things might have worked out much better for him. but that was his choice, and he knew what he was doing.

,I totally agree with the 2nd half of what you said. Bad transfers, and too much dead weight definitely cost MM.

But look at Houstons ooc from last season. They played nobody. My point is that even if the fans cry for a tougher schedule, you do not give it to them until your team is ready. You can trick recruits and the media beating a bunch of cupcakes. Then you recruit to the winning, scoring and tournament appearances. Losing to a good schedule buries you.

53 minutes ago, qwelish said:

,I totally agree with the 2nd half of what you said. Bad transfers, and too much dead weight definitely cost MM.

But look at Houstons ooc from last season. They played nobody. My point is that even if the fans cry for a tougher schedule, you do not give it to them until your team is ready. You can trick recruits and the media beating a bunch of cupcakes. Then you recruit to the winning, scoring and tournament appearances. Losing to a good schedule buries you.

I get what you’re saying, I just think upgrading the schedule is better overall for the program. How many years was MM going to book cupcakes? And I am not impressed with any team, I don’t care who they are, that takes the easy way out, it doesn’t help in the long run.. . 

19 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I get what you’re saying, I just think upgrading the schedule is better overall for the program. How many years was MM going to book cupcakes? And I am not impressed with any team, I don’t care who they are, that takes the easy way out, it doesn’t help in the long run.. . 

Some of the schedule upgrades are from Menzies. TJ is getting credit for all of it.

Doesnt really matter.

MM was scheduling to the roster he was expecting to have. I bet the ath dept is responsible moreso for further upgrades to boost tickets and away revenue.

TJ seems to be stacking for 2020. So having all these as home games will definitely set the stage for a meaningful season.

Unless there are some impact signings, 2019-20 is looking like a .500 season.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

UNLV and Kansas state will begin a home and home this next year, per Rothstein. 

Nice.  Unlv schedule looking good, especially in 2020 with the Maui classic.