Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tulsa Guy

Aresco: AAC VS BYU Bowl possible. More ESPN Contract details

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

You might be right.

It will be interesting to watch.   Memphis is a good point, in that their arena is an NBA venue.

Maybe ESPN will require a much lower level of production (akin to what the MWC does with Facebook) for its ESPN+ broadcasts, and the AAC can do this on the cheap.   If they can, the will retain more money from the deal.

It sounds like most AAC fans are fine if the broadcast is lower level, with fewer cameras, and students running it, and so maybe it isn't an issue.

According to a CUSA article, ESPN demands a quality of proudction equal to ESPN telecasts. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Tulsa Guy said:

According to a CUSA article, ESPN demands a quality of proudction equal to ESPN telecasts. 

So what is it? 

Will it be an ESPN level (i.e., Power 6 Quality), or will it be a bunch of students running it, and doing it on the cheap?

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

You could be right.  Maybe most of the AAC's football broadcasts will be "student run", and the AAC fans will be fine with it.    Would save millions.

That's Olympic Sports Chapionship games that will be produced by an independent company....my post was in error and I just now edited it to correct it.

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

So what is it? 

Will it be an ESPN level (i.e., Power 6 Quality), or will it be a bunch of students running it, and doing it on the cheap?

I've seen some very 'meh' quality ESPN3 broadcasts...I know the AAC even allows ESPN to call our games remotely. Two announcers sit in a room at the Bristol HQ, watch the game on a monitor, and comment into the mic. That can't be too hard to set up. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

I've seen some very 'meh' quality ESPN3 broadcasts...I know the AAC even allows ESPN to call our games remotely. Two announcers sit in a room at the Bristol HQ, watch the game on a monitor, and comment into the mic. That can't be too hard to set up. 

I agree.  And that makes sense for G5 schools.

Usually P5 (P6?) are at a higher standard.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree.  And that makes sense for G5 schools.

Usually P5 (P6?) are at a higher standard.

the top 50% of our football games, and top 33% (one-third) of our hoops games are the ones folks want to watch and they'll be on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CBSSN...as for the rest, well, lets be honest...ECU vs Tulane basketball or Memphis vs UConn baseball is lucky to be on TV at all, even if it is just an ESPN+ game being remotely called from Bristol.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Aggie Vison is 80% run by NMSU students.  Its sports productions are carred by ESPN3, Fox Sports Arizona, Altitude (10 Western states), Comcast, and local ABC affiliate KVIA.

AGGIE VISION EXPANDING, Albuquerque Journal, October 8, 2010

"It started in 2006 when University of Nebraska graduate Kyle Doperalski and NMSU students Brad Faison and Luke Wilboaks realized that the equipment they were using to run the video boards of the Pan American Center and Aggie Memorial Stadium could be used to do more."

"We knew if we added some pieces to the puzzle, we could go live on TV and make it a television production, Doperalski said."

"Some of the students who got their start with Aggie Vision have gone on to big things."

https://www.abqjournal.com/232847/aggievision-expanding.html

9 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

the top 50% of our football games, and top 33% (one-third) of our hoops games are the ones folks want to watch and they'll be on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CBSSN...as for the rest, well, lets be honest...ECU vs Tulane basketball or Memphis vs UConn baseball is lucky to be on TV at all, even if it is just an ESPN+ game being remotely called from Bristol.

My hope is that the games telecast on ESPN platforms will be available as replays on ESPN+.

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Aggie Vison is 80% run by NMSU students.  Its sports productions are carred by ESPN3, Fox Sports Arizona, Altitude (10 Western states), Comcast, and local ABC affiliate KVIA.

AGGIE VISION EXPANDING, Albuquerque Journal, October 8, 2010

"It started in 2006 when University of Nebraska graduate Kyle Doperalski and NMSU students Brad Faison and Luke Wilboaks realized that the equipment they were using to run the video boards of the Pan American Center and Aggie Memorial Stadium could be used to do more."

"We knew if we added some pieces to the puzzle, we could go live on TV and make it a television production, Doperalski said."

"Some of the students who got their start with Aggie Vision have gone on to big things."

https://www.abqjournal.com/232847/aggievision-expanding.html

AggieVision as the AAC model and using Students to keep costs down.  Low quality production.

Doesn't really fit the narrative of being a Power Conference.  P6?

20 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

AggieVision as the AAC model and using Students to keep costs down.  Low quality production.

Doesn't really fit the narrative of being a Power Conference.  P6?

Yes.  No.  Yes.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

BYUtv has been doing this for years.   The cost of a production facility, and wiring the campus facilities with fiberoptics, or alternatively, buying an HD truck, costs millions of dollars.   An HD Truck is also very expensive (article below says they have $10M in equipment).

Also, you can't just put a bunch of students on the production, if you want it done right.

If you guys think it is that cheap, you are up in the night.    It takes a lot of people to run the TV cameras and production.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a18463/how-espn-college-football-gets-made/

My guess, most of the AAC will simply just rent a truck for most of the broadcasts, or will hire an independent company to do the broadcast for them.

Who knows...maybe they will just stream from a cellphone?

Not saying it can't be done.... but I tend to agree with the assessment from SDSU's AD that it is a significant cost.    I know the MWC has turned to Stadium to do some of the broadcasts in recent years, but even then, those broadcasts are usually just for basketball (football is more difficult), and I wouldn't say they are ESPN quality productions.

You dont need a control truck if you already have a control room and a fiber optic link.   For instance, the University of Houston has a control room in TDECU stadium, a new one in the newly remodeled Fertitta Center---not to mention an on campus TV station.    There are somewhat lesser control boards at the baseball stadium and softball venue.  So at UH, the primary costs will be adding cameras and fiber optic links between the main control rooms and venues (which are all clustered on one part of campus).   I suspect most schools that have been doing some ESPN3 productions already have at least some significant production capabilities and are not starting from scratch.      

BYUTv is hardly comparing apples to apples.  An individual school is just producing an on-campus event and uploading the stream to the ESPN+ platform.   BYUTv has to have a full network control room and staff designed to run an entire TV network--and the capability to distribute it to multiple cable system providers probably via sat-dish or fiber optic.   Thats two completely different worlds.   

My guess---a school will have a tiny staff of one broadcast engineer along with a couple of assistants.  The rest will be free lance local talent, part timers, Radio/TV interns, and Radio/TV students.  It wont be Monday NIght Football---but it will be a reasonably solid broadcast.  Watch some ESPN3.  Thats whats your seeing there.  I mean--some of those Texas St broadcasts are barely better than single camera productions school site webstreams.  Its not hard to do a decent 3 camera production for a very low price if you have the equipment on site.    

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

You dont need a control truck if you already have a control room and a fiber optic link.   For instance, the University of Houston has a control room in TDECU stadium, a new one in the newly remodeled Fertitta Center---not to mention an on campus TV station.    There are somewhat lesser control boards at the baseball stadium and softball venue.  So at UH, the primary costs will be adding cameras and fiber optic links between the main control rooms and venues (which are all clustered on one part of campus).   I suspect most schools that have been doing some ESPN3 productions already have at least some significant production capabilities and are not starting from scratch.      

BYUTv is hardly comparing apples to apples.  An individual school is just producing an on-campus event and uploading the stream to the ESPN+ platform.   BYUTv has to have a full network control room and staff designed to run an entire TV network--and the capability to distribute it to multiple cable system providers probably via sat-dish or fiber optic.   Thats two completely different worlds.   

My guess---a school will have a tiny staff of one broadcast engineer along with a couple of assistants.  The rest will be free lance local talent, part timers, Radio/TV interns, and Radio/TV students.  It wont be Monday NIght Football---but it will be a reasonably solid broadcast.  Watch some ESPN3.  Thats whats your seeing there.  I mean--some of those Texas St broadcasts are barely better than single camera productions school site webstreams.  Its not hard to do a decent 3 camera production for a very low price if you have the equipment on site.    

So, if I'm reading correctly, you think it will merely be the schools providing a video fee of the games to ESPN, and that ESPN will be producing the broadcast, with the feed provided by each school.   And that to avoid costs, the school will strictly hire interns, free lancing employees, and students.  That ESPN3 production standards will be the model.

It might work.  You and Tulsa have stated it might be similar to what CUSA and New Mexico State put out.

Only question if it will rise to P6 standards.  If it comes across as cheap, like a lot of ESPN3 brocasts, it will really hurt the narrative that the AAC is a Power 5 level conference.

I'm not sure that the MWC would be thrilled about doing this----the MTN channel was not popular in the MWC.   Except for Wyoming, most schools disliked the MTN.

hl_mw_bb_unlv_sdsu_1.jpg

17 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Except for Wyoming, most schools disliked the MTN.

hl_mw_bb_unlv_sdsu_1.jpg

Look at that set... Is it any wonder it wouldn't catch on? I wouldn't even know its a sports channel if I was flipping through.

It looks more like a travel/lifestyle channel.

Putting the word 'Mountain' into the conference brand wasn't smart to begin with.

But then focusing on the lone word in the conference brand (Mountain West Conference) that sounds remote set the stage for the disaster that was the Mtn.

IF NOT naming the channel simply the "conference name network,,,," the brand of the channel should've at least created the image of being a happening/exciting place to be.

The audio of this set could be crickets chirping.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

So, if I'm reading correctly, you think it will merely be the schools providing a video fee of the games to ESPN, and that ESPN will be producing the broadcast, with the feed provided by each school.   And that to avoid costs, the school will strictly hire interns, free lancing employees, and students.  That ESPN3 production standards will be the model.

It might work.  You and Tulsa have stated it might be similar to what CUSA and New Mexico State put out.

Only question if it will rise to P6 standards.  If it comes across as cheap, like a lot of ESPN3 brocasts, it will really hurt the narrative that the AAC is a Power 5 level conference.

I'm not sure that the MWC would be thrilled about doing this----the MTN channel was not popular in the MWC.   Except for Wyoming, most schools disliked the MTN.

hl_mw_bb_unlv_sdsu_1.jpg

It wont be just raw camera feeds.   Im saying the schools will provide a fully produced feed to ESPN+ somewhere around the level of a ESPN3/STADIUM feed at a very low cost using the control rooms on campus--a few fully paid professional staffers---with help from lots of students, interns, and free lance local professional where needed.  As for "will it be P6?"   Who cares?  The better games will be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.   The ESPN+ stuff is largely going to be lower end games.   So, much like ESPN3, STADIUM, and the MW Digital Network---the only people watching games on those platforms are fans of the teams playing who  specifically looked for those particular games.   Its not like millions of casual viewers are going to popping in on games that are ESPN+.  

Also, something few people discuss, there is a ESPN+  revenue sharing equation that helps offset production costs.  I'll be honest--I dont know the exact details---but Im guessing it will probably be a small base fee of say a hundred bucks per event plus a percentage of ad sales with the percentage being higher if the event hits a certain number of views.....but thats just a guess.   Its not going to be big money....but production costs are not going to be huge either.  

It is difficult to believe that MWC would go 100% into streaming.  It would seem very prudent to keep some games and a presence on linear TV.  MWC Commissioner Thompson has stressed that there must be compromise among the various MWC school factions.  But if MWC goes heavy on streaming, wonder if that would open up additional spots on CBSSN for AAC?  Supposedly, the AAC CBSSN negotiations were continuing after the AAC ESPN TV contract was announced....but some time has now passed.  Wonder if Aresco is waiting to see what happens with MWC before finalizing a CBSSN deal?

17 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

It wont be jsut raw camera feeds.   Im saying the schools will provide a fully produced feed to ESPN+ somewhere around the level of a ESPN3/STADIUM feed at a very low cost using the control rooms on campus--a few fully paid professional staffers---with help from lots of students, interns, and free lance local professional where needed.  As for "will it be P6?"   Who cares?  The better games will be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.   The ESPN+ stuff is largely going to be lower end games.   So, much like ESPN3, STADIUM, and the MW Digital Network---the only people watching games on those platforms are fans of the teams playing that specifically looked for those particular games.   Its not like millions of casual viewers are going to popping in on games that are ESPn+.  

You have posted some interesting and detailed broadcasting information on this thread and another thread.  Thanks for sharing!  You must have some kind of broadcast background.

5 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

It is difficult to believe that MWC would go 100% into streaming.  It would seem very prudent to keep some games and a presence on linear TV.  MWC Commissioner Thompson has stressed that there must be compromise among the various MWC school factions.  But if MWC goes heavy on streaming, wonder if that would open up additional spots on CBSSN for AAC?  Supposedly, the AAC CBSSN negotiations were continuing after the AAC ESPN TV contract was announced....but some time has now passed.  Wonder if Aresco is waiting to see what happens with MWC before finalizing a CBSSN deal?

We wont have anything to do with that.  Its up to ESPN if they want to sub-license games to CBS-SN---but I dont think they will.  However, there are still  negotiations going on regarding a small 6-12 game basketball only contract with CBS-OTA.  That shouldnt take too long.  

21 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

So what is it? 

I read the Aresco statement and he says their conference will hire a professional production company to do all football games but not basketball or Olympic spors so the answer may be BOTH. Apparently there is some monies in the ESPN plus budget to help pay for the football game production. No one said how much money.