Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Pharma company bribes doctors

This is another example of how crazy government run health care would be in the US. I can't even get authorization for a $700 dollar IUD to place in someone on Medicare to stop uterine bleeding instead of surgery and they will reimburse $49,000 per vial on something so rare and with limited data on effectiveness.

As far as the bribing goes, there are bad apples in every field. There is a government database under the "Sunshine Law" that tracks how much each company spends on a particular doctor from lunches to pens if someone wants to see if there is potential bias from the doctor. Most offices these days don't even let drug reps through the door. That's why there is so much direct to consumer advertising these days.

14 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

This is another example of how crazy government run health care would be in the US. I can't even get authorization for a $700 dollar IUD to place in someone on Medicare to stop uterine bleeding instead of surgery and they will reimburse $49,000 per vial on something so rare and with limited data on effectiveness.

As far as the bribing goes, there are bad apples in every field. There is a government database under the "Sunshine Law" that tracks how much each company spends on a particular doctor from lunches to pens if someone wants to see if there is potential bias from the doctor. Most offices these days don't even let drug reps through the door. That's why there is so much direct to consumer advertising these days.

That is just effed up.  But insurances, medicare, etc. don't seem to put a priority on women's health care.  I think someone needs to make diagrams to show how the female body is different to the male body for these idiots!!!

down in a hole.jpg

20 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

How does this happen? It was at a smaller scale, but I gave formulary presentations in school and helped convince UNM and Presbyterian hospital to use more effective, safer, and/or less expensive medications. I would think a federal program would have access to better experts than students with more experience and better ideas.  Unless everything really is that corrupt...

3 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

How does this happen? It was at a smaller scale, but I gave formulary presentations in school and helped convince UNM and Presbyterian hospital to use more effective, safer, and/or less expensive medications. I would think a federal program would have access to better experts than students with more experience and better ideas.  Unless everything really is that corrupt...

I don't think corruption has anything to do with it. Just like any juggernaught government bureaocracy, CMS is not geared for efficiency or data driven. It won't get any better than public education or any other government agency where the administrative costs increasingly take more of the budget rather than deliver the services that it was intended to do. Layers of regulation only exacerbate the problems. On a smaller scale, every private hospital or surgery center will be more efficient than a University or public hospital because there is no incentive to be more efficient.