Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Undrafted free agent vs late round draft pick.

UFA can choose between offers, rather than being locked in.  Not always better, but it can result in some control of your chances. 

1 hour ago, westfan said:

I don't follow this much, but I have heard you are better off being un-drafted  and becoming a free agent rather than being a late 6th or 7th round draft pick. Which is most beneficial to a player?:shrug:

Agents might find a better fit via UDFA - A few teams could take a look at a player vs one team having the rights to a drafted player 

Probably from the 3rd round on it's a crap shoot if a player actually makes a roster 

16 hours ago, westfan said:

I don't follow this much, but I have heard you are better off being un-drafted  and becoming a free agent rather than being a late 6th or 7th round draft pick. Which is most beneficial to a player?:shrug:

depends what you value...choice or slightly better job security ..

any draft pick is atleast going to make the practice squad....as a UDFA you are completely expendable 

i remember watching hard knocks, and jeff fisher cutting a player for having his girlfriend visit him in the dorms for a few minutes in the day time (they had a no visitor in camp rule)..if you're a draft pick that is just a scolding 

I still would rather be drafted in the late rounds than be a undrafted free agent. Those drafted that are released at the end of pre-season normally get picked up by another team which results in the free agent getting released. There’s a reason why the player was drafted, it’s because they didn’t want someone else to get him, not so with free agents.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

When you're the last pick in the draft, you are celebrated with a full week of activities in SoCal. Banquets, going to Disneyland, learning to surf, an so on.  It's all dedicated to you.  UCLA's Caleb Wilson is this year's Mr. Irrelevant

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/nfl-draft-meet-mr-irrelevant-ucla-tight-end-caleb-wilson

In the past, well...

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/21474/irrelevant-week-is-pretty-well-relevant

You get more money as a draft pick.  Plus you have an advantage in camp if everything is equal they are going to keep their draft pick and not the free agent.

But an undrafted guy gets to pick a team if more than one team is after him and might find a better situation.