Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

Virginia to the White House… No Thanks!

7 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Per the article posted, this is good enough for me.

The University of Virginia men’s basketball team has said it won’t celebrate its national championship win at the White House with President Donald Trump.

The Cavaliers’ head coach Tony Bennett said his side “would have to respectfully decline an invitation,” in a statement shared to Twitter on Friday. 

Yeah, I saw Bennett's quote.  Let me post the rest of it for context.  But you said good on the players for taking a stand.  I'm looking for a player's quote and the stand they're taking.  Here's the rest of Bennett's quote.

“We have received inquiries about a visit to the White House," Bennett said in a statement released by the school. "With several players either pursuing pro opportunities or moving on from UVA, it would be difficult, if not impossible to get everyone back together. We would have to respectfully decline an invitation.”

The World Needs More Cowboys!

9 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Yeah, I saw Bennett's quote.  Let me post the rest of it for context.  But you said good on the players for taking a stand.  I'm looking for a player's quote and the stand they're taking.  Here's the rest of Bennett's quote.

“We have received inquiries about a visit to the White House," Bennett said in a statement released by the school. "With several players either pursuing pro opportunities or moving on from UVA, it would be difficult, if not impossible to get everyone back together. We would have to respectfully decline an invitation.”

Translation:  Bleep no we aren't going...

Seriously don’t know why people from both teams get so worked up about athletes going or declining visits to the White House. But hey, teams and shit.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

Seriously don’t know why people from both teams get so worked up about athletes going or declining visits to the White House. But hey, teams and shit.

I don't care about teams going to the WH or not. I care about people getting basic facts wrong and putting info out that isn't correct. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I had to do a double take on this ... at first glance I thought you typed Detroit Red Wings. 

5 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

I don't care about teams going to the WH or not. I care about people getting basic facts wrong and putting info out that isn't correct. 

Fair enough but I wasn't calling anyone out specifically. 

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

100% agree. If UVA doesn't want to go, good for them. The Baylor women's team is going there today. The Cubs went at the end of Obama's presidency, and then again at the beginning of Trump's presidency. The only thing I thought was dumb was giving fast food to Clemson.

21 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I had to do a double take on this ... at first glance I thought you typed Detroit Red Wings. 

I think the team has actually sued them to stop using a logo that's very similar to the flaming wheel.

45 minutes ago, pokebball said:

They only have two guys likely to get drafted into the NBA, and one graduating senior though.

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

They only have two guys likely to get drafted into the NBA, and one graduating senior though.

You're arguing a pivot.  My reply was to a post about players taking a stand and I was interested in seeing some link explaining that stand and anything the players had to say in that regard.  Some posters got to making too much shyt up about the declination and all :) 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On the other hand... the Baylor women’s team looks absolutely THRILLED, to be there with the prez!  

552CC445-B76C-4EF2-AFAF-996A0BA20BB7.jpeg

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 4/29/2019 at 9:08 AM, retrofade said:

There were other attendees, but every single person or group that I have listed above either proudly claim to be or are associated with at least one of the following designations: neo-Nazi, alt-right, white supremacist/nationalist, neo-Confederate, neo-fascist, or anti-semite. 

I'm sure that there were probably some attendees who just didn't want the statue of Robert E. Lee to be removed because of some belief in the preservation of history. It's also pretty safe to say that those people were likely in the extreme minority, and the ones that were prominent in the two events fit into one of the categories that @SJSUMFA2013 described, and yet Trump couldn't or wouldn't call them out on it. 

Nobody but James Fields is directly to blame for his decision to drive his car through a group of people and kill Heather Heyer in the process. That being said, since the election of Trump, we have seen something of an emboldening of these types of groups, and an increase in these types of incidents. Trump should have distanced himself from it, and called those groups out for what they are, but he knows that those groups also make up a good portion of his radical base, so he couldn't. 

I'm sure that there were probably some attendees who just didn't want the statue of Robert E. Lee to be removed because of some belief in the preservation of history.
Yes, I'm glad you acknowledged that, some people got a notification to come support  the Robert E. Lee statue.  And thats what they did.  

since the election of Trump, we have seen something of an emboldening of these types of groups, These groups were as much or more, not less prevent with Obama as President.  So should we say then that Obama caused these groups in the first place?   Trying to blame Trump for some small fringe groups is the same as blaming Obama for them. 

Your trying to portray that Trump is even anti-semite when in fact he's anything but that.   Trump has also never had anything to do with white supremacy groups, the KKK or anything like that, ever.  Nor does Trump really care about Confederacy symbols or statues.  However he does respect the fact that many people in the south do still care about the Confederacy.  And the US Gov't should not be telling people what statues or symbols they can and cannot have.  

2 minutes ago, pokerider said:

I'm sure that there were probably some attendees who just didn't want the statue of Robert E. Lee to be removed because of some belief in the preservation of history.
Yes, I'm glad you acknowledged that, some people got a notification to come support  the Robert E. Lee statue.  And thats what they did.  

since the election of Trump, we have seen something of an emboldening of these types of groups, These groups were as much or more, not less prevent with Obama as President.  So should we say then that Obama caused these groups in the first place?   Trying to blame Trump for some small fringe groups is the same as blaming Obama for them. 

Your trying to portray that Trump is even anti-semite when in fact he's anything but that.   Trump has also never had anything to do with white supremacy groups, the KKK or anything like that, ever.  Nor does Trump really care about Confederacy symbols or statues.  However he does respect the fact that many people in the south do still care about the Confederacy.  And the US Gov't should not be telling people what statues or symbols they can and cannot have.  

You're wasting your time. He's a Russian truther and conspiracy theorist. He's blinded by his own hate.