Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Balzac

From The Ziegler Article: Does the Boise Deal Drive Down MWC Value?

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

It is my understanding that the 10 SEC teams rotate as to who plays the 10 B12 teams.  I don't know how this rotation is set up.  The AAC/SEC basketball agreement is for 4 games, home and home. Balzac is correct to say that the AAC would have played 4 SEC teams and those teams would have been LSU, Auburn Mississippi State, and Missouri.  Balzac said MWC plays conference challenges against the MIsouri Valley and Atlantic 10.  So here are the NET Basketball ratings by conference and the top 4 Missouri Valley teams, the top 4 Atlantic 10 teams, and the 4 SEC teams.

The four SEC/ACC home and home games are another important step on Aresco's P6 strategy and plan.  This agreement has Aresco's fingerprints all over it.  He is truly an outstanding commissioner.  I totally misjudged the man.

In another post, you state that Aresco has visited Provo, brags on BYU's accomplishment, has been on BYU TV, praises BYU for its many accomplishments, and, in summary, is kissiing BYU's rear end.  For sure, that is our super aggressive AAC Commissioner, tireless and ceaseless.  Stunner, have you taken time to reflect to ask what in the world is Aresco doing in Provo?  Just who invited Aresco to Provo and who asked Aresco to do interviews on BYU TV?  Obviously, Aresco is up to something and, if Aresco is spending all this time in Provo, there must be some kind of discussions going on between AAC and BYU.

FWIW, I see BYU is starting to schedule some AAC teams in football.  Hmmmmm....

SEC NET RANKING 3

LSU 14

Auburn 18

Mississippi State 19

Misouri 77

MISSOURI VALLEY NET RANKING 14

Drake 127

Loyola Chicago 128

Southern Illinois 143

Misouri State 162

ATLANTIC 10 NET RANKING 10

VCU 34

Dayton 69

Davidson 75

St. Bonaventure 118

Aresco has begged BYU to join for years!

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Stunner, the AAC did not exist 8 years ago.  BYU had decades to establish itself, which it did with a very outstanding football record.  BYU was able to do that because the WAC at that time was strong and had good football bowls playing PAC and other top schools in the Holiday, Copper, and Freedom Bowls.  That Holiday Bowl allowed BYU to win a National Championship.  Having said that, I don't think bragging on a $5M deal in 2011 is something to brag about, especially when the P5 teams were getting multiples of $5M in 2011.

Its just not like you to twist data.  Your numbers and observations are generally very sound.  But not today.  You well know that the ACC contract is for $7M, starting at $5.5 and ending at $8.5M.  Its been a long day.

The AAC deal is for Net, $5M per year.

The AAC is required to bear all production costs, estimated at $2M per year.   Not sure why the AAC fans are ashamed to admit this.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2019-04-23/sdsu-aztecs-mountain-west-tv-contract-craig-thompson

"The fine print: Most games will be on ESPN+, a pay web service ($4.99 per month) with only 2 million subscribers, rather than linear or “real” TV; schools are responsible for on-campus production costs, which some estimate could lower their net annual take by as much as $2 million; and the deal is for 12 years, when technology may change and media rights might be worth more and Div. I athletic budgets will undoubtedly have soared."

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The AAC is required to bear all production costs, estimated at $2M per year.   Not sure why the AAC fans are ashamed to admit this.

you got a link that...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner

Bottom line.  

AAC has an impressive $5M net G5 TV contract...  But I see no clear separation from the MWC.   

AAC has 2 elite basketball schools (Memphis and UConn), but the MWC has a national power football school (Boise).   The two Conferences may as well be twins.   Both Conferences have poor fan support. (Except for SDSU and Boise).

The MWC has Wyoming, yes...but the AAC has Tulsa.  So it's a wash.

"One misconception is that Thompson, as commissioner, is solely responsible for a new deal. He’s not. He’s more mediator than negotiator, finding common ground among diverse factions, making suggestions, facilitating dialogue.

A five-person television committee that includes San Diego State Athletic Director John David Wicker will listen to offers and counteroffers, then bring proposals to the full group of ADs, who make a recommendation to presidents and chancellors. A decision is expected by fall and would go into effect the following summer."

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sorry, I did...edited it.

'which some estimate could lower their net annual take by as much as $2 million'

I don't see where productions costs are listed anywhere in the agreement...I need more than what 'some' say

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

'which some estimate could lower their net annual take by as much as $2 million'

I don't see where productions costs are listed anywhere in the agreement...I need more than what 'some' say

Are you calling John David a liar?  Why would he lie?

John David is the MWC chief negotiator for their next TV deal.

9521198.jpeg

Don Aresco strikes again.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I also remember something where production costs for ESPN3 from MAC schools were paid for with university dollars and not athletic department dollars...if it's being done the same way here it would still be a 7 million dollar gain for the schools athletic departments.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 hours ago, Balzac said:

Nothing I said about Boise or BYU not being willing to be an equal member of the MWC should’ve gotten you worked up.

Tulane will make more money than Boise, even with them siphoning your league. I happen to believe that SDSU should be equally compensated to Boise but they want to milk you guys. You’re still giving them games (as well as BYU). That they don’t see the value of your venues is the real travesty.

God these AAC tools love the sound of their own voices

large?v=1.0&px=999

I'm ok with Tulsa getting Boises State's cut - as I don't believe that Boise State would've increased revenue for the AAC contract. 

I'm also more than ok with any production cost for producing Olympic sports broadcasts. It's been long overdue that every sport had its platform. 

If the MWC decides not to have that scope of coverage (to save on production costs) I understand that too. In the MWC's position, any production costs at all would absorb all of the revenue.

I've enjoyed participating in this thread but, alas, its gotten repetitive.

As I said, in their heyday I was a fan of Boise. When the Big East invited them, I couldn't wait to watch Chris Peterson direct that offense. (I wasn't the fanboy that Stunner is though. LOL)

I'm of the opinion now that Aresco & Gladchuk parted ways with that stock at the ideal time. It's like they were clairvoyant.

That being said, Harsin is a good man. 

Glad he's the captain of such an elite program.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, baileyake said:

Although the AAC fans are annoying, I am glad we can have these discussions here on this board. Their board is a piece of shit in comparison. Little man syndrome is prevalent and rampant over there.Thank you @mugtang

this board is really fantastic...I love having these discussions as well. Mug does a great job and is a most benevolent overlord. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2019-04-23/sdsu-aztecs-mountain-west-tv-contract-craig-thompson

"The fine print: Most games will be on ESPN+, a pay web service ($4.99 per month) with only 2 million subscribers, rather than linear or “real” TV; schools are responsible for on-campus production costs, which some estimate could lower their net annual take by as much as $2 million; and the deal is for 12 years, when technology may change and media rights might be worth more and Div. I athletic budgets will undoubtedly have soared."

Estimated by who?   You do realize that the vast majority of the programming going to ESPN+ was already being produced by the schools for individual in house school streaming services.  Those produtions were not costing anywhere near 2 million a year---and other than a one time cost to upgrade the equipment to all be ESPN3/+ compliant---there really isnt any significant increase in productions costs.    There are no doubt some costs associated with the ESPN+ productions---but 2 million a team is vastly overstating the costs and completely ignores the fact that most of the events that will be sent to ESPN+ were already be produced under the current deal (they just were not going to ESPN+).  Hell, almost a third of CUSA football games were on ESPN+.  Practically all of the MAC's games are on ESPN3/ESPN+.    If it was costing them 2 million a team to do that the AD's of those conferences would be screaming bloody murder.

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Who cares? Seriously. 

Really. My unprofessional but undoubtedly pretty accurate diagnosis is that Tusla Guy is clinically obsessed with the need to persuade somebody, anybody, here that the university whose teams he supports is situated in a better conference than is the case for the rest of us. It's quite pathetic frankly.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

That article has an anti AAC bent to it so must be viewed with some caution.  Who exactly is some?  Was it Thompson?   The University of Akron was told by a consultant they would need to spend $1M for broadcast equipment but Akron was able to acquire the equipment for $300K. New Mexico State's Aggie Vision is mostly run by its students.  Information on production costs by university generated telecasts is almost nonexistant.  More info is needed and maybe that info will be forthcoming as the B12 and ACC implement their ESPN+ telecasts.That ESPN+ has over a dozen conferences broadcast their games seems to imply that producing telecasts and programs cannot be exorbitant. Perhaps we will get more conclusive data comng out of the MWC TV negotiations.

AAC must keep up with the P5 Networks via ESPN+ by providing additional football and basketball telecasts including replays of those games if the AAC expects to keep up in recruiting and maintaining and increasing fan interest.  Fortunately, the $7M ESPN contract allows that.. But if the cost is actually $2M annually, that will also place a financial burden onto BYU and MWC because ESPN is going to insist on programming for ESPN+ before they do a contract.  This directly impacts Boise State regardless of what the rest of MWC decides to do.

It appears many MWC teams want to go streaming so as to control the kickoff times.  That involves the MWC school to provide its own productions.  SDSU, if I am correct, would like linear TV. which would be produced by ESPN as the exposure is better..  So I think this worked its way into the San Diego newspaper article, that is, over stating school produced telecasts costs then tilts the decision to linear TV produced by CBS.

The B12 is delighted with the ESPN+ contract as more B12 sports can be made available, in fact, more than the SEC, BiG, PAC, and ACC dedicated contract networks.  As many B12 ADs pubicly stated, the conference networks of SEC, B12, PAC, and ACC no longer have their recruiting advantage.  Likewise, I am delighted the AAC also has its ESPN+ network and the $7M to implement it.

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Aresco is a savvy guy who worked for ABC and ESPN in programming.   I seriously doubt Aresco has hung AAC out to dry.  Unlike the MWC Presidents and ADs who did not read the ESPN contract they signed only to be totally surprised and dismayed to have games moved to week days and start late in evening, Aresco reads his contracts. It was reported that there is a look in window at the end of 6 years in the contract.  This San Diego Newspaper article has its bias..

2 hours ago, RSF said:

"One misconception is that Thompson, as commissioner, is solely responsible for a new deal. He’s not. He’s more mediator than negotiator, finding common ground among diverse factions, making suggestions, facilitating dialogue.

A five-person television committee that includes San Diego State Athletic Director John David Wicker will listen to offers and counteroffers, then bring proposals to the full group of ADs, who make a recommendation to presidents and chancellors. A decision is expected by fall and would go into effect the following summer."

All the real problems were ignored at the Denver Airport meeting and have now ended up on Commissioner Thompson's lap.  I feel sorry for the guy.

49 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Really. My unprofessional but undoubtedly pretty accurate diagnosis is that Tusla Guy is clinically obsessed with the need to persuade somebody, anybody, here that the university whose teams he supports is situated in a better conference than is the case for the rest of us. It's quite pathetic frankly.

The amount of time people spend worrying about this stuff is mind boggling to me. Who gives two chits? Seriously.