Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Balzac

From The Ziegler Article: Does the Boise Deal Drive Down MWC Value?

14 hours ago, Balzac said:

^^^^^^^ Bruininthebay is setting himself up for a letdown.

If CBS doesn't bid the contract up, why would ESPN bid themselves up?

The writer of the article (Ziegler) said:

"The Mountain West has done nothing to warrant an elevation beyond its current status that commands $1.1 million per school per year."

Did the MWC not have 3 schools ranked in the final A.P. poll ? If my memory is correct that aint  bad.

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

Did the MWC not have 3 schools ranked in the final A.P. poll ? If my memory is correct that aint  bad.

The elephant in the room with MWC football has been it's lack of representation on New Years Day.

I'm not sure how many pundits can rattle off the season ending rankings... but I do know - to a man - they can tell you who played on New Years.

When McKenzie Milton went down, there was more optimism in MWC circles than I've seen in years - Because some believed that UCF stood a better chance of losing the AAC title game, which could loophole an MWC winner into that game.

If UCF would've been eliminated as a non-Champion that would've been big for the MWC. Perhaps it would have provided some momentum in TV discussions.

I just don't know if TV execs care that much about the final AP poll.

At the end of the day, television is a perception driven business.

Has DAZN shown interest? 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Balzac said:

The elephant in the room with MWC football has been it's lack of representation on New Years Day.

I'm not sure how many pundits can rattle off the season ending rankings... but I do know - to a man - they can tell you who played on New Years.

When McKenzie Milton went down, there was more optimism in MWC circles than I've seen in years - Because some believed that UCF stood a better chance of losing the AAC title game, which could loophole an MWC winner into that game.

If UCF would've been eliminated as a non-Champion that would've been big for the MWC. Perhaps it would have provided some momentum in TV discussions.

I just don't know if TV execs care that much about the final AP poll.

At the end of the day, television is a perception driven business.

Has DAZN shown interest? 

I can not argue with that, however having 3 schools ranked in the final A.P. poll does not sound like all is bad, perhaps it is getting more difficult to run the table in this conference.

looking at MWC football coach's salaries it would appear that a lot of MWC schools are not making the effort to be as good as they should be.

6 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

if I had to guess I'd say it'll be a split CBS/ESPN deal worth ~30 million per year.

If I was Hair, I’d get Boise back in lockstep with equal revenue distribution (being that they have no other conference alternative) and then try and press NBC for the deal the AAC didn’t take. That was a deal that had great exposure.

giphy.gif

Guest #1Stunner

The one reason I think the MWC is probably more nationally prestigious than the AAC in the public's eye (despite any numbers) is Boise State.

Honestly, the blue turf is great branding and doesn't make Boise look like an "also ran", like a UCF or a Houston.

Then...no other G5 has had Boise's dominance over the past 15 years.  Boise is a national brand.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

The one reason I think the MWC is probably more nationally prestigious than the AAC in the public's eye (despite any numbers) is Boise State.

a great conference can't just be one program...see CUSA hoops during Memphis' run.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

18 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah right.  Because I called the deal a disaster from Day 1, unlike people like you who called it a program that rewards competition.   What is dumb and arrogant are graduates like you from Trucker U.

The current deal does need to be scrapped.  But, let’s hope they create a new deal, structured differently, that addresses some of the legitimate issues Boise had.  These issues can be addressed in a way that aligns league and team interests. 

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Honestly, the blue turf is great branding and doesn't make Boise look like an "also ran", like a UCF or a Houston.

Then...no other G5 has had Boise's dominance over the past 15 years.  Boise is a national brand.

In conclusion, we must restart “the Mtn.” to capitalize on said prestige. 

We’d be fools not to

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

AAC average attendance wasn’t a whole lot better than the MWC. However, they are in much higher populated areas ( more TVs) which is why they got a boost in their TV contract. 

AAC’s deal includes men’s and women’s basketball, which is among the top shelf conferences and has won national championships on both sides.

They have also played and won on New Years Day in FB 4 out of the last 6 years.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

a great conference can't just be one program...see CUSA hoops during Memphis' run.

This is true. Bsu made a bad hire and has been down for a few years. There isn’t anyone else in this conference that has the ability to step up and make some noise. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

This is true. Bsu made a bad hire and has been down for a few years. There isn’t anyone else in this conference that has the ability to step up and make some noise. 

UNLV and SDSU have the potential to IMHO.

as an outsider I would have loved to see the Zags join the MWC. They compliment Hawai'i football only.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

UNLV and SDSU have the potential to IMHO.

as an outsider I would have loved to see the Zags join the MWC. They compliment Hawai'i football only.

Unlv?  They have zero shot to be relevant. I’m talking football. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

On 4/25/2019 at 3:02 PM, Wyobraska said:

BSU and SDSU aren't making the AAC P6.  The AAC might have moved on and the universities don't want the associated travel costs with West Coast teams.  Boise might not have anywhere to go.  

AAC Commissioner Aresco stated forcefully after Wichita States invitation and acceptance that this will be the only basketball invitation.  Any future AAC invitation must be for all sports.  Aresco stated that he didn't want AAC to get into a hybrid conference configuration that caused so may problems for the Big East.  For this reason, I think travel costs will rule out any future AAC invitation to SDSU and BSU.

Also now working against SDSU and BSU is the tv ratings for Far Western tv telecasts have not been good in comparison to EST and CST tv ratings.  75% of USA population lives in the EST and CST zones. 

While Aresco has talked about AAC expanding to 14 teams, he also has not been very strong about it. If, and that's a big if, Army wanted to join AAC, my guess is AAC would accept them and then also invite AFA.  All three service academies would be in AAC/West division.  My guess is Army is very satisfied playing as an independent and does not want to join AAC.

3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

AAC Commissioner Aresco stated forcefully after Wichita States invitation and acceptance that this will be the only basketball invitation.  Any future AAC invitation must be for all sports.  Aresco stated that he didn't want AAC to get into a hybrid conference configuration that caused so may problems for the Big East.  For this reason, I think travel costs will rule out any future AAC invitation to SDSU and BSU.

Also now working against SDSU and BSU is the tv ratings for Far Western tv telecasts have not been good in comparison to EST and CST tv ratings.  75% of USA population lives in the EST and CST zones. 

While Aresco has talked about AAC expanding to 14 teams, he also has not been very strong about it. If, and that's a big if, Army wanted to join AAC, my guess is AAC would accept them and then also invite AFA.  All three service academies would be in AAC/West division.  My guess is Army is very satisfied playing as an independent and does not want to join AAC.

I agree with this. 

Mr Aresco seems to be acutely aware of the importance of shared vision to the success of the conference.

When the topic of unequal revenue distribution came up, he was quick to squash.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

92019014-edcb-4fcc-abd8-1e8b46cbbd09-lar

Yeah, one the novelty of the new digs wears off after a few games, it will end up as the equivalent of UMASS games played at Gillette Stadium.

game.jpg?w=420&h=236

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

13 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

if the AAC went to 14 we should grab BYU and Army football only as having their olympic sports in the WCC and Patriot League's make geographic sense.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

There is a pretty attenuated connection between eyeballs to dollars.  Eyeballs are body parts but it is the individual attached to a particular set of eyeballs is what the advertisers pay media companies to get in front of them for.

Aside from the Northeast corridor where Uconn and Temple are located and the city of Houston itself, the areas where AAC teams are located have incredibly low average incomes that are often below US median income by more than $10,000.

Below is a map by county from the US Census as of 2012 that demonstrates how few individuals who watch AAC games have desirable demographics. 

173979542_incomebyuscounty2012.jpg.30c58e754a5d948103a318fcfdf58706.jpg

Certainly everyone realizes that San Diego and San Jose have high average incomes, but even Boise is more prosperous than nearly every single AAC school county on an average income basis.  In particular, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado look more like coastal regions of the United States (Northern Nevada is getting there too) than any other part of the not coastal adjacent United States and that is especially true for where AAC schools are located.

Yes, the overall viewership is lower in the West but the kinds of viewers that advertisers seek are more commonly located along the Pacific Coast, Northeast Corridor or in the Mountain West.

A pure eyeballs only value overlooks that who watches is who advertisers pay media companies for and where those people are located are far more in the Mountain West conference region than the American Athletic conference outside the Northeast Corridor.