Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Balzac

From The Ziegler Article: Does the Boise Deal Drive Down MWC Value?

Being a Boise State fan I’m not complaining we managed to negotiate a good deal for the school. However, the other schools didn’t have to agree. 

Still the additional money we receive is peanuts and to keep others from whining about it, I wouldn’t care if we dropped the preferential treatment. 

On a relevant note, we should have given Gonzaga whatever they wanted to join the MWC. 

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Still the additional money we receive is peanuts

This is exactly why it is so laughable that so many posters here think the MWC Presidents are actually going to try to strong-arm their biggest program. And we have all these dip-shit AAC fans stroking them off about it.

:rolleyes:

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Being a Boise State fan I’m not complaining we managed to negotiate a good deal for the school. However, the other schools didn’t have to agree. 

Still the additional money we receive is peanuts and to keep others from whining about it, I wouldn’t care if we dropped the preferential treatment. 

On a relevant note, we should have given Gonzaga whatever they wanted to join the MWC. 

This, I still have a small glimmer of hope that we can add BYU and Gonzaga. Ill happily give uneven revenue sharing.

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

This is exactly why it is so laughable that so many posters here think the MWC Presidents are actually going to try to strong-arm their biggest program. And we have all these dip-shit AAC fans stroking them off about it.

If the money truly doesn't amount to diddly squat, for the good of conference harmony Boise State would give all of it up. Funny though . . .

I haven't seen a comparison lately but a couple years ago after Rocky Long complained about the income disparity giving your HC much more leeway in hiring assistants. The SDUT did some digging around and concluded that your assistants cumulatively make something like 33% more than SDSU's assistants do even though the cost of living is much lower.

As to AAC dipshits, the Tulsa guy - a complete troll with an apparent 2-digit IQ who appears to have thankfully been banned by mugtang - was exactly that and the Memphis fan who apparently parlayed his degree from that esteemed academic institution into a job working as a pharmacy clerk at a Walmart store in America's unsafest city, isn't around too much lately either. Balzac? He was thoroughly trollish as FormerFrog but has reinvented himself into only a semi-troll and what he's been saying lately typically has some merit. Bringing up how divisive the inequitable distribution of Molehill Worst football revenue is an example of that.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

This, I still have a small glimmer of hope that we can add BYU and Gonzaga. Ill happily give uneven revenue sharing.

I wouldn't but the answer to getting them is as simple as the MWC allowing all members to retain their tier 3 rights. So doing would be to reward CONTINUED performance.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Would MW presidents, AD's, and fans really want to give BSU a reason to leave? I guarantee you Aresco is still eyeing BSU, SDSU, and a couple others to get to 16 schools and a true American wide conference, and their presidents would all sacrifice a little in order to achieve their P6 goal. Lord knows he would out smart Hair with negotiations.

I think, therefore I'm.

13 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

Would MW presidents, AD's, and fans really want to give BSU a reason to leave? I guarantee you Aresco is still eyeing BSU, SDSU, and a couple others to get to 16 schools and a true American wide conference, and their presidents would all sacrifice a little in order to achieve their P6 goal. Lord knows he would out smart Hair with negotiations.

BSU and SDSU aren't making the AAC P6.  The AAC might have moved on and the universities don't want the associated travel costs with West Coast teams.  Boise might not have anywhere to go.  

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

BSU and SDSU aren't making the AAC P6.  The AAC might have moved on and the universities don't want the associated travel costs with West Coast teams.  Boise might not have anywhere to go.  

Probably not but it would make them far and away the best G5. And the WCC would jump at the chance to get BSU and SDSU Oly sports.

I think, therefore I'm.

2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

does this count as strong-arming?

https://broncosports.com/news/2012/8/24/Boise_State_Accepts_Invitation_to_Join_Big_West

Boise State's entry fee to join the Big West is $2.5 million which will be paid in five annual payments. In addition, Boise State will also pay a travel cost per conference visiting team for regular season competitions in Boise at an estimated cost of $750,000 per year, an equity share into the league's reserve to be determined at a later date and a one-time membership initiation fee estimated at $50,000.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I actually believe that the money distribution has played a role in mens basketball falling off drastically (16th rated RPI conference).. and football postseason suffering..

Answer me this... If the majority of the revenue chips are pushed into Boise's pile, and Boise fails to reach the NY6, does anyone else have a fighting chance?

So far the answer has been no.

giphy.gif

I didn't write the article.

That was Ziegler from San Diego. He broke down the MWC's media position, and how Boise impacts the rest of the league.

I've actually been a fan of Boise. Cheered for Boise in the Fiesta against OU over a decade ago.

That being said, Boise has turned into the 'OU of the MWC' and rooting for the Broncos is now different than it used to be.

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, Balzac said:

I actually believe that the money distribution has played a role in mens basketball falling off drastically (16th rated RPI conference).. and football postseason suffering..

Answer me this... If the majority of the revenue chips are pushed into Boise's pile, and Boise fails to reach the NY6, does anyone else have a fighting chance?

So far the answer has been no.

Lets math it out.  Boise gets an extra 1.8 million.  If we did not, and that 1.8 million was divided 11 ways (all teams sans Hawaii) each school would get an additional 163k.

MWC teams have budgets between 30 million and 55 million.  So, the additional money would increase each schools budget by between 0.5% and 0.27%.  A fraction of a single percent.

You are an idiot.

56 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lets math it out.  Boise gets an extra 1.8 million.  If we did not, and that 1.8 million was divided 11 ways (all teams sans Hawaii) each school would get an additional 163k.

MWC teams have budgets between 30 million and 55 million.  So, the additional money would increase each schools budget by between 0.5% and 0.27%.  A fraction of a single percent.

You are an idiot.

No he isn't because you're looking at it with blinders on. And stop taking your post cues from the other Boise fan, aka Worst. Poster. Here. To quote myself from above:

I haven't seen a comparison lately but a couple years ago Rocky Long complained about the income disparity giving your HC much more leeway in hiring assistants. The SDUT did some digging around and concluded that your assistants cumulatively make something like 33% more than SDSU's assistants do even though the cost of living is much lower.

I'd say that's a pretty good guidepost of how much more your football program has to spend on assistant coaches with that additional 1.8M. As I also said above, if the money actually doesn't amount to shit as you claim, in the interests of intra-conference harmony your school would just agree to stop getting it. As it is, Boise SHOULD stop getting it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I can't seem to get that AP article which quotes Burman to load. I'd be curious how long ago it was said because I think it's potentially very significant because it's evidence that now in hindsight, probably nobody but Boise and Craig Thompson thinks it was a good idea.

If the comment had come from SDSU's AD, it would sound like nothing more than sour grapes since we didn't vote on the TV deal and more than that, the TV deal was indirectly responsible for us not leaving the MW. It might even sound like sour grapes coming from UNLV or Fresno State since they were rumored to have also spoken to the nBE about joining under certain circumstances. However, Wyoming not only was clearly instrumental in approving Thompson's idea to get Boise to remain, Wyoming is a charter member of the MW and it's a school which because of the limited population of its state isn't likely to ever leave.

As discussed on another thread, the slow diminution of the prominence of the schools now composing the Big East since they separated from the football-playing members of that conference is evidence of just how significant to athletics income football is. In that regard, if attendance in that sport is a guidepost as Stunner argues, half of the MW is at a level of the MAC. However, SJSU excepted, I have hope for the West schools. I won't bother with SDSU and Fresno since it's obvious each has a better football program than virtually anybody in the MAC. Here's how I see the other three.

Hawaii: They're down but definitely not out. No school with that much local HS talent and which has that much football history will be down for long.
UNR: That school may have low attendance but its administration clearly cares about football and I hadn't been to Reno for 20 years but had business there two weeks ago and it was very surprising how much the metro area has grown.
UNLV: I'm on the fence here. Granted, UNLV's football history is terrible and all the talk about the Fertittas sounds as pathetic as SJSU and the NEZ Project or the new what should be called BFD Project. However, the new football stadium at least gives UNLV an opportunity for quantum improvement.

Anyway, I find myself getting closer and closer to wanting to see the two Nevada schools, Hawaii and the two California schools which matter seriously consider speaking with BYU, NMSU and Texas State about creating a new conference and getting the hell out of Craig Thompson's Folly. I'd be pleased to have USU join too but that would be one less school to feed Boise's big mouth.

Burman’s comments were made two years ago.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

No he isn't because you're looking at it with blinders on. And stop taking your post cues from the other Boise fan, aka Worst. Poster. Here. To quote myself from above:

I haven't seen a comparison lately but a couple years ago Rocky Long complained about the income disparity giving your HC much more leeway in hiring assistants. The SDUT did some digging around and concluded that your assistants cumulatively make something like 33% more than SDSU's assistants do even though the cost of living is much lower.

I'd say that's a pretty good guidepost of how much more your football program has to spend on assistant coaches with that additional 1.8M. As I also said above, if the money actually doesn't amount to shit as you claim, in the interests of intra-conference harmony your school would just agree to stop getting it. As it is, Boise SHOULD stop getting it.

Yes, he is.  There is a lot of data to support he is an idiot.  

There is a HUGE income disparity between Boise and the 11 dwarves and it has very little to do with the T.V. deal A sold out home game nets about 2.2 mil.  There was an article done showing Boise makes about 10 as much profit as other MWC programs.  Take away the 1.8 M and we would still have no problem out paying you plebs.  And no, the money would not help you, that is 160 k.  That is not enough to keep assistants from going to power schools.  That is a rounding error.

I mean if you think of it this way

12 schools each school has 6 home games (games owned by conference). That equals 72 games + 1 conference champ game.

With Boise in the equation the MW only has 66 games to sell, thus less selection for whoever buys the TV rights. Now that whoever buys the MWC games DOES get 4 Boise road games (road conference games).

So it would take the value of those 4 Boise road games to be greater  that value of 10 games of an "average" MWC school for Boise to up the value of the MW tv contract.  

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Our assistants make a lot more because we choose to pay them more. Where does the money come from? Primarily booster contributions and by far the highest ticket prices in the MWC. The extra $1.8 million amounts to about 4% of our football budget which is peanuts compared to the overall budget. 

Im sure our AD doesn't want to give up that money, but it isn’t like it gives us some huge financial edge over other MWC schools. It sure hasn’t given us a big competitive advantage over other MWC teams. I think many of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

And I still think we should have made a better financial offer to get Gonzaga in the MWC. Their national visibility would have had a major impact on the perception of the MWC in basketball. Those MWC schools that didn’t want to offer them additional incentive to join us were extremely short sighted. 

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You are an idiot.

Yeah let’s “math it out”.  Invert your thinking.  Don’t look at what the other schools would get, look at what Boise would NOT get.  That is a loss of roughly $1.8mm.  Divide that by nine assistant coaches and you get about $200k/assistant which happens to be about the difference between what you pay your assistant coaches and what the other schools in the conference pay.  

Don't fret though because SDSU AD Wicker is on the media committee and is fully aware of the pay discrepancy.

6 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Yeah let’s “math it out”.  Invert your thinking.  Don’t look at what the other schools would get, look at what Boise would NOT get.  That is a loss of roughly $1.8mm.  Divide that by nine assistant coaches and you get about $200k/assistant which happens to be about the difference between what you pay your assistant coaches and what the other schools in the conference pay.  

Don't fret though because SDSU AD Wicker is on the media committee and is fully aware of the pay discrepancy.

Damn you are dumb, that 1.8 mil, if gone tomorrow, would make no difference, it is less than the profit margin of a single home game and about 4% of our budget.