Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrediggerPoke

Wyoming loses Coach Legerski

Legerski resigns as women’s basketball coach   He was at Wyoming for 16 years and established a solid program. Not only was the women’s team consistently competitive, they carried a cumulative team GPA of 3.7 which is amazing.  Huge loss and I’m not sure Wyoming can fill the void.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/wbb/joe-legerski-retires-as-wyoming-women-s-basketball-coach/article_cd425e4e-e489-552b-85a9-ab4fbbd40ba9.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Resigning not retiring?

Yes, I would conclude that from the article.  Something that Joe didn’t like and he apparently decided to step away.  I doubt he takes a new head coaching job given where he is at with things but I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes another gig somewhere.  

10 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Yes, I would conclude that from the article.  Something that Joe didn’t like and he apparently decided to step away.  I doubt he takes a new head coaching job given where he is at with things but I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes another gig somewhere.  

Any speculation?

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Any speculation?

No clue at this point.  Joe has too much class to spill the beans so I doubt we find out.  

The entire University is a shit show right now.  The BOT demoted the President to a faculty member and won’t divulge any reason despite the fact that the President was generally supported amongst the faculty. 

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

How do you arrive at that conclusion? I saw nothing in there that would suggest this is anything other than him retiring.

Just now, 307dude said:

How do you arrive at that conclusion? I saw nothing in there that would suggest this is anything other than him retiring.

I just checked with a pretty reliable source who told me that Legerski told him in February that he was retiring and that he's heading to Salt Lake to be closer to his kids.

30 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I just checked with a pretty reliable source who told me that Legerski told him in February that he was retiring and that he's heading to Salt Lake to be closer to his kids.

That sounds about right. He graduates a lot of seniors this year, so the timing is pretty good. 

33 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The Cowgirls never could quite get to the top of the MWC, but were always highly competitive and consistently one of the better teams in the MWC. Tough to lose good coaches. Anyone know how much he was paid? 

When he took the job in ‘03, there were 57 season ticket holders. He grew that number to about 2,000. 

He was at or near the top for women’s coaches in the MWC. I believe his total package had him around $250-300K.

1 minute ago, 307dude said:

When he took the job in ‘03, there were 57 season ticket holders. He grew that number to about 2,000. 

He was at or near the top for women’s coaches in the MWC. I believe his total package had him around $250-300K.

Sounds like he just thought it was time to give it up and do other things. If he shows up somewhere else, things obviously weren’t to his liking at Wyoming. My guess is the guy just wants to retire. 

14 hours ago, 307dude said:

Once again, I don't have any non-public insight, I am just reading between the lines purely on my own speculative belief.   I am certainly not a conspiracy theorist but do try to put some thought into what I read.

As a coach, Joe has generally been the type to be up front with the media (basically the opposite of recent Wyoming football coaches).  Take a look at who is releasing the retirement statements (Tom Burman, official University websites, etc...).  Joe Legerski's statement, however, was pretty darn vague 'it is nice to be able to make this decision at this time in my life..' and he uses the word 'retire' in respect to the head coach of this university ('I have made the choice to retire as the head coach of this great institution.').  I am sure that moving closer to family was a factor in his decision but personally I believe that there is probably a bit more to it.  Like I said, Joe has a ton of class and genuinely cares about the University of Wyoming women's basketball program and would never be the type to burn the place down on his way out.  

I could be completely wrong.  This is just my opinion based purely on observation and nothing more.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:32 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Any speculation?

I spoke to someone from the athletic department yesterday.  While he didn't know for sure, he's hearing that it is retirement and that he and Jamie want to get back to Western Wyo / Eastern Utah to spend time with their kids and grandkids.  I hope he can find something smaller that doesn't require the time and travel that D1 requires.  

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Swoll Cracker said:

Legerski is a great coach.  Every other Women's coach in the MWC would tell you that his teams are very difficult to prepare for.  I'm shocked.

Yep...best of luck with the job of replacing a great coach.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

I spoke to someone from the athletic department yesterday.  While he didn't know for sure, he's hearing that it is retirement and that he and Jamie want to get back to Western Wyo / Eastern Utah to spend time with their kids and grandkids.  I hope he can find something smaller that doesn't require the time and travel that D1 requires.  

He has. It’s called retirement.