Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tspoke

Star Trek Captains?

I thought I remember taking part in a topic a year or two ago on here about who everyone's favorite Star Trek captain was. I can't seem to find it anywhere now.

Anyway I was gonna bump that thread up because I just finished watching season 2 of Discovery and Christopher Pike has to move up in the rankings. Wow. He only gets one season so it would be hard to overtake Sisko for my top spot but Anson Mount killed it as Pike.

We don't need to start the whole topic about Trek captains back up but did anyone else watch season 2 of Discovery? Think season 3 could get really interesting.

The old thread is archived anyway.

I'm about halfway through the second season of Discovery right now, and Pike has been really good. I was disappointed when I read that he wasn't going to be returning for the third season though. 

7 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Wrong Board.....I never create topics...My bad. Move or delete.

Is there a separate nerd board? If so, take it there bub!  :stop:

43 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Riker in the "Best of Both Worlds" episodes.  

Fight me. 

Sisko

/discussion

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

I thought I remember taking part in a topic a year or two ago on here about who everyone's favorite Star Trek captain was. I can't seem to find it anywhere now.

Anyway I was gonna bump that thread up because I just finished watching season 2 of Discovery and Christopher Pike has to move up in the rankings. Wow. He only gets one season so it would be hard to overtake Sisko for my top spot but Anson Mount killed it as Pike.

We don't need to start the whole topic about Trek captains back up but did anyone else watch season 2 of Discovery? Think season 3 could get really interesting.

I really enjoyed Anson Mount as Pike.  There’s a move to get him his own series as the captain of the Enterprise but I doubt we will see that. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

star wars darth vader gif GIF

26 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I really enjoyed Anson Mount as Pike.  There’s a move to get him his own series as the captain of the Enterprise but I doubt we will see that. 

Yeah I could get behind another series focusing on his enterprise. Both him and the actor that played spock were great. However, they could only probably get a couple seasons out of it and they would have to be careful about not conflicting with established original series stuff.(which I thought the end of Discovery did a great job at handling some of those issues) So not sure it would be worth it but the enterprise stuff from this season was wonderful.

Spoilers from end of Discovery season 2

Spoiler

I am really excited about seeing Discovery go into the far future and wonder what the universe will be like,or I guess see where they actually  end up(supposed to be 950 years in the future but who knows). Also interesting to see where they go beyond season 3. I don't think they will come back to their current time due to the fact they wrapped that up and explained away why no one ever mentions the sporedrive/Discovery/Micheal.

I read something that originally the creators wanted Discovery to be an anthology series with each season being about different characters in different places and times but CBS made make it about a single ship. It seems like they are still trying to make each season completely different setting/type of story. Which I think is cool.

9 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I could get behind another series focusing on his enterprise. Both him and the actor that played spock were great. However, they could only probably get a couple seasons out of it and they would have to be careful about not conflicting with established original series stuff.(which I thought the end of Discovery did a great job at handling some of those issues) So not sure it would be worth it but the enterprise stuff from this season was wonderful.

Spoilers from end of Discovery season 2

Hide contents

I am really excited about seeing Discovery go into the far future and wonder what the universe will be like,or I guess see where they actually  end up(supposed to be 950 years in the future but who knows). Also interesting to see where they go beyond season 3. I don't think they will come back to their current time due to the fact they wrapped that up and explained away why no one ever mentions the sporedrive/Discovery/Micheal.

I read something that originally the creators wanted Discovery to be an anthology series with each season being about different characters in different places and times but CBS made make it about a single ship. It seems like they are still trying to make each season completely different setting/type of story. Which I think is cool.

I really like the season long storylines.  They did a good job of that with Enterprise in Season 3 with the Xindi.  

Spoiler

I really like how it jumps into the future too   We’ve only gotten glimpses of what the far future looks like so they have a lot of options here.  What I do know is Discovery will be obsolete so I’m interested to see how the writers handle that.  Plus they’re 50k light years from Earth   I really hope they aren’t going to do another Voyager type run where they’re slowly making their way back home   

Kirk wouldn't have fared as well in Next Gen and Picard wouldn't have fared as well in orig. ST.  

Most the characters fit the times/shows they were in.  If I had to pick any Captain for a 1 time all in, save or destroy the Universe, I would pick Kirk and Spock over anyone.  Even though Picard actually did save the Universe (from Q). 

So while not my absolute favorite,  I would have to definitely put Captain Janeway as one of the best captains.  Having to be in one of the worst situations day after day, year after year.  

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

You're talking to people about a niche subject on a niche message board on the internet. We are clearly post-nerd

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.