Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Impeachment

Just now, alum93 said:

Patience.  I am speculating on the next "witch hunt".  That seems like a logical choice.

Out of curiosity, what doesn't seem like a logical choice?  Perhaps we can begin to take some choices off the table :) 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, CPslograd said:

Killed us in the 98 midterms.  GOP had a very favorable map that year but came up snakeyes

I thought that the lines pretty much held in 98. The impeachment hurt the GOP a bit around when it happened, but they still won the presidency in 2000 and he enjoyed majorities in congress. Not a disaster by any measure.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
36 minutes ago, toonkee said:

In the United States, for example, impeachment at the federal level is limited to those who may have committed "Treason, Bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors[1]".[2]

The charge of high crimes and misdemeanors covers allegations of misconduct by officials, such as perjury of oath, abuse of authority, bribery, intimidation, misuse of assets, failure to supervise, dereliction of duty, unbecoming conduct, refusal to obey a lawful order, chronic intoxication, and tax evasion. Offenses by officials also include ordinary crimes, but perhaps with different standards of proof and punishment than for nonofficials, on the grounds that more is expected of officials by their oaths of office.

Sure, that's what it says.   But I haven't seen the Mueller report say that Trump committed any offenses that falls under those categories.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Sure, that's what it says.   But I haven't seen the Mueller report say that Trump committed any offenses that falls under those categories.

I don't know - abuse of authority, intimidation, dereliction of duty, unbecoming conduct.  Which of those don't sound like Trump?

Trump and one of his officials spoke of the possible separation of another official.  Heartless

Guest #1Stunner

Bottom line.

The Mueller Report didn't show any collusion with our comrades in Mother Russia.  I mean, does anyone really think that Trump won the elction because of Russia?   Trump only won because the Democrats ran a terrible candidate---Hillary Clinton.   He had huge crowds at his rallies.

Regarding obstruction of justice, any allegation is specious, at best.

If you hate Trump that much, fine.   Just get a strong candidate to run against him in the next election, and beat him at the polls. 

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I thought that the lines pretty much held in 98. The impeachment hurt the GOP a bit around when it happened, but they still won the presidency in 2000 and he enjoyed majorities in congress. Not a disaster by any measure.

The map favored the GOP, and it was the midterm on a second term,  should have been a huge year for Republicans

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, alum93 said:

I don't know - abuse of authority, intimidation, dereliction of duty, unbecoming conduct.  Which of those don't sound like Trump?

The Mueller Report didn't say that Trump did any of those things.   So....none of those things sound like Trump. 

Just because Trump is an asshole, doesn't mean you should impeach him....

And....Just because Democrats have a raging Donald Trump boner, doesn't mean there is a basis for impeachment.

Move on.   Win the next election.   That's how you get Trump out of office.

2 hours ago, Akkula said:

Obstruction of Justice, Campaign Finance Violations, Using a Charity as a Slush Fund, among others.  There is enough evidence of a crime.

No there isn't. They have been investigating since the Summer of 2016 and they don't have Jack Sh*t. 

If they had solid evidence for Bipartisan support for impeachment it would have leaked to the Media about 5 seconds after they found it. 

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

The map favored the GOP, and it was the midterm on a second term,  should have been a huge year for Republicans

Like I said, it hurt them a bit short term but it was no disaster for them, as we saw in 2002.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

The Mueller Report didn't say that Trump did any of those things.   So....none of those things sound like Trump. 

Just because Trump is an asshole, doesn't mean you should impeach him....

And....Just because Democrats have a raging Donald Trump boner, doesn't mean there is a basis for impeachment.

Move on.   Win the next election.   That's how you get Trump out of office.

I am fine with not impeaching at this point in time.  More importantly so is Pelosi.  

Guest #1Stunner

I recall seeing huge, huge crowds at Donald Trumps rallies.   Like millions of rednecks got excited about Donald Trump...  (almost reminded me of a Wyoming Cowboy football game...except these rednecks were from the Midwest)

And Democrats couldn't fathom it...

If Democrats want to win, get your own redneck candidate.  Last time I checked, Bill Cinton was a redneck, and he did pretty well in the election.

Otherwise, get a black candidate.   The Black voters all stayed home the last election because they didn't give a rat's ass about Hillary.   Get a black dude to run.  FUBU.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, alum93 said:

I am fine with not impeaching at this point in time.  More importantly so is Pelosi.  

"I am fine with it".

If that's your standard, be prepared for a major backlash from the American Public for going full Kangaroo Court on Trump.   People will reject any attempt to impeach Trump simply because you don't like him.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

"I am fine with it".

If that's your standard, be prepared for a major backlash from the American Public for going full Kangaroo Court on Trump.   People will reject any attempt to impeach Trump simply because you don't like him.

Reading comprehension.  i am fine with not impeaching.  What are you arguing or what am i missing?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

"I am fine with it".

The American middle is tired of the 24/7/365 investigations.  An independent investigation lead by professionals that really didn't care for Trump found nothing to recommend charges on.  Nothing these next 1.5 yrs is going to change the minds of the Trump supporters or Trump haters.  Nothing.

The winner in 2020 wins the middle.  History has told us that partisan politics doesn't matter as much as the economy.  The DOW and S&P hit an all-time high today, unemployment remains low with black and female unemployment at an all-time low.  The economy will pull the middle to Trump and the Dems investigations will push the middle to Trump.  The Dems need to quit pushing on the middle.

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Bottom line.

The Mueller Report didn't show any collusion with our comrades in Mother Russia.  I mean, does anyone really think that Trump won the elction because of Russia?   Trump only won because the Democrats ran a terrible candidate---Hillary Clinton.   He had huge crowds at his rallies.

Regarding obstruction of justice, any allegation is specious, at best.

If you hate Trump that much, fine.   Just get a strong candidate to run against him in the next election, and beat him at the polls. 

DING DING DING DING DING DING - We have a winner !!

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

"I am fine with it".

Are you paying attention? He said "he's fine with NOT impeaching, and so is Pelosi".

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

That's pretty naive thinking on your part. 

Using capricious reasons to throw a duly elected executive out of office repeatedly is going to result in more problems and increases in civil unrest, not some comfortably numb utopia. 

He's saying that if impeachment is not uncommon, then there won't be civil unrest. Sort of like how in WW2 generals could be relieved and then still have their careers later because it happened so often, whereas today if a general is relieved, he's done forever. 

I mean, if Reagan had been impeached after Iran-Contra, it would have been a pretty clear sign not to go back behind Congress' back. If it were seen as a true check instead of a nuclear option, then it would be used as such. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, alum93 said:

Reading comprehension.  i am fine with not impeaching.  What are you arguing or what am i missing?

My bad.  I thought you said I am fine with impeaching.

I missed the word "not" when I skimmed your post.

Just now, pokebball said:

The American middle is tired of the 24/7/365 investigations.  An independent investigation lead by professionals that really didn't care for Trump found nothing to recommend charges on.  Nothing these next 1.5 yrs is going to change the minds of the Trump supporters or Trump haters.  Nothing.

The winner in 2020 wins the middle.  History has told us that partisan politics doesn't matter as much as the economy.  The DOW and S&P hit an all-time high today, unemployment remains low with black and female unemployment at an all-time low.  The economy will pull the middle to Trump and the Dems investigations will push the middle to Trump.  The Dems need to quit pushing on the middle.

Both sides are more dug in than ever.  Go for the middle 20% and forget about the hard core 40% on either side.  Focus on Florida, Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.  Trump will be a tough out no matter what, especially if the economy is where it is today.  Hopefully if Trump wins the Dems pick up more House seats and narrow the margin in the Senate.  Even a 50/50 Senate with a Dem House would work.