Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Balzac

Who would go in the MWC Hall of Fame? Inaugural Class...

If you had to pick 5 guys to go into the inaugural MWC Hall of Fame, who are your choices?

I'd have to go with,

#1) Craig Thompson. The Founding Father of the MWC. He's been a visionary. He created the 1st conference network. He's been a tireless leader. He worked hard to procure Boise State; and when the conference was in danger of dying, he landed USU and San Jose. He thwarted Benson and the WACs Project, by inviting more teams. He told ESPN to screw off, and charted a course with CSTV. Now, he's innovating again with streaming. First conference on Facebook. He's relentless.

#2) Gary Patterson. Won a Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl. Most decorated coach in MWC FB history.

#3) Alex Smith. Won a Liberty Bowl over the CUSA Champ and a Fiesta Bowl. He finished fourth in voting for the 2004 Heisman Trophy and was selected as the 2004 Mountain West Conference Player of the Year.

#4) Rocky Long. Winningest coach in MWC history. Won MWC titles in 2012, 2015, and 2016.

#5) Brett Rypien. Is he done playing yet? LOL. I had to satisfy the Boise fans and their WAC achievements don't count. That was a long time ago.

giphy.gif

You can’t do a Hall of Fame for the MWC without Urban Meyer. He kicked down the BCS facade. That was an historic achievement. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

I was going to put Meyer before Rypien… but Rypien had more longevity..

Perhaps even under Patterson (but I was trying not to make it all about coaches).

Thompson gets the pole position in the inaugural class because he went 'all-in' with Boise State... something this fresh-faced Mike Aresco wasn't willing to do... That move completely altered the trajectories for those conferences. Whether for good or for bad, that move took big brass balls. 

giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, Balzac said:

If you had to pick 5 guys to go into the inaugural MWC Hall of Fame, who are your choices?

I'd have to go with,

#1) Craig Thompson. The Founding Father of the MWC. He's been a visionary. He created the 1st conference network. He's been a tireless leader. He worked hard to procure Boise State; and when the conference was in danger of dying, he landed USU and San Jose. He thwarted Benson and the WACs Project, by inviting more teams. He told ESPN to screw off, and charted a course with CSTV. Now, he's innovating again with streaming. First conference on Facebook. He's relentless.

#2) Gary Patterson. Won a Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl. Most decorated coach in MWC FB history.

#3) Alex Smith. Won a Liberty Bowl over the CUSA Champ and a Fiesta Bowl. He finished fourth in voting for the 2004 Heisman Trophy and was selected as the 2004 Mountain West Conference Player of the Year.

#4) Rocky Long. Winningest coach in MWC history. Won MWC titles in 2012, 2015, and 2016.

#5) Brett Rypien. Is he done playing yet? LOL. I had to satisfy the Boise fans and their WAC achievements don't count. That was a long time ago.

Football is not the only sport.

1 hour ago, Balzac said:

I was going to put Meyer before Rypien… but Rypien had more longevity..

Perhaps even under Patterson (but I was trying not to make it all about coaches).

Thompson gets the pole position in the inaugural class because he went 'all-in' with Boise State... something this fresh-faced Mike Aresco wasn't willing to do... That move completely altered the trajectories for those conferences. Whether for good or for bad, that move took big brass balls. 

Aresco should replace Thompson at the top of your MWC Hall of Fame.

After Boise and SDSU had accepted football membership to the newBE, Aresco saved the MWC by:

1. Stupidly accepting the recommendation of UCF that Too-lame should be added and then apparently doing nothing more than contacting SMU which obviously also said "GREAT IDEA!" (being another smallish private school and all) and then essentially presented adding the Green Wave (of sports sub-mediocrity) as a fait accompli to the other conference presidents through a hastily-scheduled phone call. Of course, as with Boise and SDSU, UCF and SMU weren't even members yet. I heard from very credible sources that both Boise and SDSU were fully pissed about how that went down. Granted neither had a vote on the matter because they weren't yet members but their ADs weren't even asked their opinion about adding Tulane.

2. Fully putting the kibosh on any chance of creation of an nBE western division which could have made the nBE a TRULY "American" conference. Unlike Boise and SDSU, nobody else in the MWC had an interest in joining the nBE for football only and the feeling was apparently mutual. However, rumors were rampant that Fresno State, UNLV and perhaps also CSU were interested enough in joining for all sports that there was communication between those schools and somebody on behalf of the nBE.

Maybe it couldn't have been accomplished but there's reason to think that but for Aresco, four of the most important members of the MWC would have left to join what would have evolved into the fabled Best of the Rest conference thereby rendering the MWC nothing more than a western equivalent of the MAC. Aresco and Thompson are both idiots and whatever success their conferences now have are more a result of the schools which compose them than anything those guys have done.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Kawhi Leonard

Pumphery

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

25 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Is Pumphrey on an NFL roster?

No idea. Don't watch the NFL.

This is about the MWC, no?

If it is, Pump holds the all time NCAA rushing record.  Should be enough to qualify.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

No idea. Don't watch the NFL.

This is about the MWC, no?

If it is, Pump holds the all time NCAA rushing record.  Should be enough to qualify.

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

All-time NCAA rushing leader is enough of an accomplishment to merit mention.

Geez.  Wasn’t a dig I was just curious. 

Talk about defensive LOL!!

13 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Geez.  Wasn’t a dig I was just curious. 

Talk about defensive LOL!!

Why would you think our replies are "defensive"?

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Nevada Convert...He’s a legend

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.