Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

MOAR AUTHORITARIANISM!!!

Don't jump all over me now. We can't see anything out of frame of the video. We don't know if anything was thrown or a threat was determined out of frame to cause the officers to tackle the 2nd teen. We just don't have the information. We don't. However, I agree they were overly harsh in the takedown and tackle.

I disagree with the last part of the article though, stating there would be no reason at all to ever be that aggressive. On the contrary, brandishing or attempting to use a weapon necessitates a harsh response, regardless of being 14 or not. But I didn't see any weapon on him, I'm just saying that there are circumstances that can justify it.

8 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Don't jump all over me now. We can't see anything out of frame of the video. We don't know if anything was thrown or a threat was determined out of frame to cause the officers to tackle the 2nd teen. We just don't have the information. We don't. However, I agree they were overly harsh in the takedown and tackle.

I disagree with the last part of the article though, stating there would be no reason at all to ever be that aggressive. On the contrary, brandishing or attempting to use a weapon necessitates a harsh response, regardless of being 14 or not. But I didn't see any weapon on him, I'm just saying that there are circumstances that can justify it.

Kid wasn’t armed. At best, he might be guilty of resisting arrest but that does not excuse the deputies for beating the shit out of him.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/broward/charge-downgraded-for-teen-who-got-head-slammed-into-ground-by-deputy

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Kid wasn’t armed. At best, he might be guilty of resisting arrest but that does not excuse the deputies for beating the shit out of him.

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/broward/charge-downgraded-for-teen-who-got-head-slammed-into-ground-by-deputy

Yeah he did struggle a bit with the officers in the video, a bit. Ok, so he didn't have a weapon on him at all then. I was just disagreeing with the articles statement like I said before. The second video still cuts out between the pepper spray and the takedown. Wish they showed the couple seconds in between. Maybe he resisted, maybe he didn't resist. The mayor is jumping the gun. Let the investigation finish. The boy was at fault for being involved in this mass incident in the first place, then slightly resisting. He said something to the officer, but we don't know what he said at all. The officer should have used pepper spray then immediately turned around and went back to the one already cuffed where the other officers were. The punch was out of line. But the face push is borderline as the teen was pushing back. Like I said, is there a full version of the 2nd video that shows those missing couple seconds between the pepper spray and tackle? If he threatened the officer the tackle is warranted, if he didn't do anything than the officer acted inappropriately and the 2nd officer who punched him did as well, and the punishment should be suspension without pay at the very least. It may warrant termination, not sure.

I don't understand why some feel that resisting arrest should mean a death penalty. A cop should only use deadly force when there's an immediate threat to his/her life. Not when someone is being argumentative/resisting or running away. 

That kid could have died. You can die from getting your head bashed on the ground like that.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

I don't understand why some feel that resisting arrest should mean a death penalty. A cop should only use deadly force when there's an immediate threat to his/her life. Not when someone is being argumentative/resisting or running away. 

That kid could have died. You can die from getting your head bashed on the ground like that.

Thank you! You get it. 

6 hours ago, CV147 said:

Here is an article about 2 Virginia cops.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/20/us/virginia-officers-white-supremacy/index.html

This correlates with an interview I heard from a former white supremacist leader who claimed they encouraged followers to join police organizations.   Cases like the one posted in Broward County should be grounds for a thorough background investigation to see if the officers have white supremacist ties.    

On 4/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, BSUTOP25 said:

Dude, it certainly looked like it was excessive, but you don’t have enough info to fairly judge. That’s what’s so ridiculous about social media, everyone sees something, and makes a snap judgement. You don’t know that he didn’t have a weapon on him somewhere. Maybe they saw him brandishing a knife earlier, and wanted to make sure he couldn’t grab it. However, it could very well be that these officers need an ass whooping and more training. 

Cops do suck, though. 😄👌

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, CV147 said:

You’re right, but ......you can pretty much justifiably expect being roughed up a bit all the way to an ass whooping depending upon what kind of a threat you are with your resistance. Some types of resistance such as grabbing at the cops waistband gun area could result in a justifiable tase or shooting. 

What pisses me off about cops is when someone gives up and cooperates, and they still get an ass beating. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, it certainly looked like it was excessive, but you don’t have enough info to fairly judge. That’s what’s so ridiculous about social media, everyone sees something, and makes a snap judgement. You don’t know that he didn’t have a weapon on him somewhere. Maybe they saw him brandishing a knife earlier, and wanted to make sure he couldn’t grab it. However, it could very well be that these officers need an ass whooping and more training. 

Cops do suck, though. 😄👌

Yes RenoConvert, the 14 year old kid could have been carrying an RPG and multiple hand grenades. But once the cops had the kid on the ground and neutralized (or disarmed just for you), it was completely unnecessary to continue hitting him and driving his face into the ground. 

Unfortunately there are always some cops that overstep their bounds. Police departments need to police their own better. Some departments have a civilian ombudsman separate from the department that reviews police actions and makes recommendations for suspensions if found to be necessary.

Its a tough high risk  job that most of us don’t want any part of. 

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Unfortunately there are always some cops that overstep their bounds. Police departments need to police their own better. Some departments have a civilian ombudsman separate from the department that reviews police actions and makes recommendations for suspensions if found to be necessary.

Its a tough high risk  job that most of us don’t want any part of. 

Fishing, lumberjacking, mining are tough high risk jobs.

Ambulance crews deal with the same situations cops do and they never shoot anyone.

Nothing should scare you more than when a cop shouts 'Stop Resisting!" at you.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Fishing, lumberjacking, mining are tough high risk jobs.

Ambulance crews deal with the same situations cops do and they never shoot anyone.

Because they are too busy taking care of the people that have been shot. 

15 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Anyone have any friends that are cops? 

Lots plus two nephews and an uncle.

I work with cops on a daily basis.  I can tell you there are some cops you love when they show up to a scene and there are others that scare you to death.   They are going to get you killed or more likely your patients killed.

Cops are some of the most unprofessional people I have ever met.  There training does not prepare them to do the job and many aren't interested in doing the job.  If you talk to the good cops they will tell you this in there honest moments.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Anyone have any friends that are cops? 

A couple of acquaintances; can't really say "friends".  I'm pretty sure their only real friends are other cops.

I do have a friend who is a highway patrolman, IMO, a little more emotionally stable and doesn't automatically assume the worst about folks.