Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokebball

Gas prices

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

I guess when you're running low in Death Valley, you pay!

I had to buy some gas in Ludlow (halfway between Barstow and Needles for inquiring minds) on Saturday, it was crazy expensive.

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

These prices are way exaggerated (average in CA is ~$4/gal). The average is still very high relative to the rest of the country, but it's more complicated than just taxes.  Tax only accounts for about $0.50 per gallon.  The rest is a combination of California's environmental regulations that the fuel and refineries have to meet and some of the refineries there having outages.

But there are still tons of people willing to pay.  

That's all true.

Gas prices/taxes definitely disproportionately impact the working poor.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Capitalists are blaming capitalist consequences on non-capitalist policies?

I take it as capitalists are justifiably ranting about the capitalist consequence of non capitalist policies that they oppose.

2 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

That's all true.

Gas prices/taxes definitely disproportionately impact the working poor.

Yes, but IMO, gas taxes are the best and fairest way to pay for road transportation infrastructure and maintenance. 

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, but IMO, gas taxes are the best and fairest way to pay for road transportation infrastructure and maintenance. 

Yah, I don't know.  In general I support consumption taxes, especially ones that tax the users.  But man, it really dings the gardeners and laborers driving from Palmdale to LA metro for work.  And then they use some of the gas tax money for urban coastal transit projects, so now you have poor laborers subsidizing the transportation of wealthy suburbanites.  I struggle to see the justice in that.

2 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Yah, I don't know.  In general I support consumption taxes, especially ones that tax the users.  But man, it really dings the gardeners and laborers driving from Palmdale to LA metro for work.  And then they use some of the gas tax money for urban coastal transit projects, so now you have poor laborers subsidizing the transportation of wealthy suburbanites.  I struggle to see the justice in that.

I don't know, I would say that if it's good the state on the whole then everyone benefits.

Also, the taxes also go to subsidize public transportation which is used more by the poor.

And the "county" portion of any gas tax is spent on transportation projects within that county.

11 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't know, I would say that if it's good the state on the whole then everyone benefits.

Also, the taxes also go to subsidize public transportation which is used more by the poor.

And the "county" portion of any gas tax is spent on transportation projects within that county.

Well, Palmdale is still LA county.  And again, which poor are we talking about?  Are we talking welfare people?  Or are we talking laborers, housekeepers, and babysitters?  And the train services in LA don't seem to be disproportionately used by the poor.  Lot of commuters from Simi and that area to Burbank use Amtrak.  And the downtown stuff isn't really for poor people either.

As far as "if it's good for the state"?  Good for whom?

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

Well, Palmdale is still LA county.  And again, which poor are we talking about?  Are we talking welfare people?  Or are we talking laborers, housekeepers, and babysitters?  And the train services in LA don't seem to be disproportionately used by the poor.  Lot of commuters from Simi and that area to Burbank use Amtrak.  And the downtown stuff isn't really for poor people either.

As far as "if it's good for the state"?  Good for whom?

I don't know. Can you think of a better/fairer way to pay for the roads?

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Stop paying prevailing wage to Cal Trans workers and contractors.

That's the biggest damn racket.

These guys, work 8 months making 50 or 60+ an hour, then go on unemployment for 4 months, then go back to work.  Meanwhile the politicians keep raising taxes and costs on some framer driving to work every day.  And then the unions pay the politicians off.  It's garbage.

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

State to State yes - I don't think many localities have gas taxes.

The $9.00 per gallon is in a tiny resort town far from anywhere else inside a national park so they charge whatever they want.  I would guess there are probably also federal regulations that make delivering gas into a national park more expensive as well.

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

Wrong. Nowhere in any state does the gas tax vary that much county to county.

I admit I was wrong on the range of prices being exclusive to locality taxes, as it seems Nevada has county gas taxes but California does not(correction, minimal differences as a very small local sales tax is added). I am guessing it is more of a localized supply vs. demand issue for that locality as that is what drives quick price hikes. Reno skier is correct Washoe county vs. Carson city is 30 ish cents different and the nearest Carson gas station from the next nearest washoe county station is about 24 miles.

California gas prices have risen $1.26 a gallon in the last year or so. On average across the state Californians pay 73 cents a gallon in tax. A 12 cent increase just in the state excise tax, then a mystery surcharge that nobody has found out where that money is actually going yet. And the cost of production going up coupled with higher demand and the refinery fire in 2015. Add all that together and Californians better start carpooling more

4 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

I admit I was wrong on the range of prices being exclusive to locality taxes, as it seems Nevada has county gas taxes but California does not. I am guessing it is more of a localized supply vs. demand issue for that locality as that is what drives quick price hikes. Reno skier is correct Washoe county vs. Carson city is 30 ish cents different and the nearest Carson gas station from the next nearest washoe county station is about 24 miles.

California gas prices have risen $1.26 a gallon in the last year or so. On average across the state Californians pay 73 cents a gallon in tax. A 12 cent increase just in the state excise tax, then a mystery surcharge that nobody has found out where that money is actually going yet. And the cost of production going up coupled with higher demand and the refinery fire in 2015. Add all that together and Californians better start carpooling more

Is it 73?  Damn, that's a lot.  I buy about 50 gallons a week, my wife probably 15.  That probably comes out to about 3 grand a year.  

36 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Is it 73?  Damn, that's a lot.  I buy about 50 gallons a week, my wife probably 15.  That probably comes out to about 3 grand a year.  

Actually, I just found this article that was published 6 days ago. Now it's 98 cents

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocregister.com/2019/04/16/californias-gas-taxes-total-nearly-1-per-gallon-and-include-a-28-cent-mystery-surcharge/amp/

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Capitalists are blaming capitalist consequences on non-capitalist policies?

When part of the sales tax per gallon you paygoes to public programs instead of transportation, yeah

4 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

When part of the sales tax per gallon you paygoes to public programs instead of transportation, yeah

6 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I take it as capitalists are justifiably ranting about the capitalist consequence of non capitalist policies that they oppose.

Taxes isn't the reason that Death Valley had $9 per gallon prices, like the SJW was melting about

15 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Simple supply and demand, my hunch this is a popular time to visit.  The former Furnace Creek Inn starts at $429 tomorrow night.

Your hunch is right. Our prices always go up during holiday breaks like Easter week. That's why I filled my gas tank up last week before the price bump. As a lifelong Californian I've learned how to $ave whenever possible.

Taxes isn't the reason that Death Valley had $9 per gallon prices, like the SJW was melting about

Well, it's part of it.  As is the summer blend switch we do every year in CA.  Obviously Death Valley and even Ludlow you are going to pay a premium.  But gas was significantly cheaper once I crossed the AZ border.  Made a point to fill up in Kingman on the way back even though I had a half tank still.

My comment you quoted wasn't about the 9 a gallon, it was about a portion of gas taxes being used for public programs not related to transportation. Completely out of context