Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Sacramento looking strong for MLS franchise/ future MWC bowl site

If LV should land an MLS team, I might try to give soccer a chance ...........a little chance, but a chance 

Can't sit thru 90 minutes of the USL League LV Lights endless trotting around 2 acres of grass :waiting:

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Probably true but living in Sac I can also say the PAC is virtually a non entity here.   So a bowl in the valley would benefit them also.  Not to mention the wine tasting tie in with OSU and WSU.  

No the pac is the king in sac.  In the fall watch the local news and see what college football schools they cover not to mention who the bee covers.  They don’t cover ANY MW schools.  It’s all cal, Stanford, usc, UCLA, sac st, and UCD.  No one else.

Sac weather in late December is a high of 50 with rain about 50% of the time.  It’s worse than the Bay Area and look at the attendance at the foster farms bowl for pac and b1g schools.  I went to that bowl a couple of years ago when it was Indiana v Utah and there was maybe 20k in attendance, maybe.

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

No the pac is the king in sac.  In the fall watch the local news and see what college football schools they cover not to mention who the bee covers.  They don’t cover ANY MW schools.  It’s all cal, Stanford, usc, UCLA, sac st, and UCD.  No one else.

Sac weather in late December is a high of 50 with rain about 50% of the time.  It’s worse than the Bay Area and look at the attendance at the foster farms bowl for pac and b1g schools.  I went to that bowl a couple of years ago when it was Indiana v Utah and there was maybe 20k in attendance, maybe.

You overstate thing big time.  

Since 2001 it has rained 6 out of 18 times on the 15th of December and a number of those were trace amounts.  Hardly 50% of the time.  

As for college football coverage.... they don’t.   It is all high school and the pros.  Saturday high school gets better coverage than college football.  The only time college football gets covered is when a local high school kid is a story like Browning.  Talk radio is more New York Giants than college football.   

The Sacramento area has more interest in sports from the general population than the Bay Area.  Other than De LeSalle, Sacramento teams regularly defeat Bay Area teams and all have way better attendance.   I get for you SoCal types, Norcal is just a place to steal water but you really are far from accurate about Sac.  

22 hours ago, sactowndog said:

San Diego is a very long shot.  Phoenix and Las Vegas are clearly ahead of you.

Raleigh is ahead of San Diego, as is San Antonio. I'm pretty annoyed that St. Louis got an expansion team though.

11 hours ago, retrofade said:

Raleigh is ahead of San Diego, as is San Antonio. I'm pretty annoyed that St. Louis got an expansion team though.

San Antonio is out.  Austin saw to that.

MLS has wanted in on St Louis for years.  They want Detroit, too, but their present stadium plan isnt a favorite of the leagiue.

Las Vegas hasnt even applied, so they arent even in play.  All they've done is talk to Garber.  No stadium plan, no ownership group, nothing.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

Probably true.  But if we're going to be in a bowl games with those conferences, we might as well play a game in Sacramento.

^^^This.

The MLS season runs from March to October.  The new stadium would be dormant for half of the college football season.  It would make sense to use it for both the Causeway Classic and an MWC tie-in bowl.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, Fowl said:

No, there are a lot of Nevada and Fresno fans there, too. That’s why the Sac Bee covers them both. 

kat.jpg

On 4/19/2019 at 8:22 AM, MWC Tex said:

Sorry, but the LA Bowl isn’t a huge deal for the MW.  

Sure it’s nice to get a bowl lined up but playing against the #8 PAC team is terrible.  

Rather play a better team from other G5 conferences that are ranked or nearly ranked than a team that always around #50 or worse.

As our conference has been getting better with three teams finished ranked, we should be able to eventually move up to a better PAC school. 

LA is prime recruiting area for all MWC schools, and our primary recruiting competition is usually the PAC-12. So it would be crucial to have a recruit visit the bowl game with the MWC school beating a PAC-12 school that could very easily be competing against you with other recruits. There are 6 PAC schools within driving distance of LA, and that would help with attendance. In a lot of years, the #8 school is still pretty good, but in 2016 and 2018 they didn’t have 8 eligible. It would’ve been Utah or UCLA in 2017. Not having 8 some years is a problem. But in this day and age, you have to take advantage of any P5 bowl opportunity. 

kat.jpg

17 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, there are a lot of Nevada and Fresno fans there, too. That’s why the Sac Bee covers them both. 

OK then show me an article a sac bee reporter wrote about a Nevada or Fresno regular season football game from this past season.

11 hours ago, Fowl said:

OK then show me an article a sac bee reporter wrote about a Nevada or Fresno regular season football game from this past season.

Here’s a recent article on Alford. Who gives a shit if it’s an AP or SB writer. I know readers don’t. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/sports/article229205674.html

kat.jpg

It's written by the AP because the sac bee assigns no reporters to cover Nevada sports.  That's the point...

Here's a write-up by a sac bee writer on a UCD game last fall - https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article220126010.html

One previewing th Stanford-USC game last September - https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article217953415.html

The sac bee has zero interest in covering nevada or fresno because its readers have no interest in reading about them.  Thus the reason why it is nonsensical to have a MWC bowl there.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:11 PM, boisewitha-s said:

Horrible idea. Playing football in soccer stadiums is retarded. 

...& playing football on novelty blu turf isn't????

On 4/19/2019 at 5:22 AM, MWC Tex said:

Sorry, but the LA Bowl isn’t a huge deal for the MW.  

Sure it’s nice to get a bowl lined up but playing against the #8 PAC team is terrible.  

Rather play a better team from other G5 conferences that are ranked or nearly ranked than a team that always around #50 or worse.

....& there's a difference playing the #8 12-Pack school & the #7?

Wasn't the the old Vegas Bowl Match-Up MWC#1/#2 -vs- 12-Pack #7???

On 4/19/2019 at 6:02 AM, sactowndog said:

I would agree the size of the stadium is a bit small.   But I think it may be too small for the soccer team also.  They really need  a 30k size stadium.  

That being said there are lots of strong reasons to put a bowl in Sacramento.

1) key recruiting ground for Fresno, Nevada, San Jose State, and at one time Boise.  No P5 or G5 presence makes this an open recruiting ground.  I--->  Cal, Stanford, '$C & UCLA may not be physically located in Sacto, but they ALL have a "presence" there.  

2) hard to find a location within less than a 9 hour drive of more schools: Boise, Nevada, San Jose, Fresno, San Diego State, UNLV can all drive to Sac.   I--->  ¡GREAT pt!