Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluerules009

Can the Media survive Mueller?

19 hours ago, alum93 said:

Have you ever watched FOX in the evening?  If Fox can put on characters like Hannity, Tucker, and Carlson every night year after year, i hardly think the credibility of other news outlets will be hurt regarding the Mueller investigation.

This appears to me to be a "race to the bottom" attitude about the media.  I think we need to be focusing on what's right rather than using what is wrong to justify other behaviors.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

7 minutes ago, pokebball said:

This appears to me to be a "race to the bottom" attitude about the media.  I think we need to be focusing on what's right rather than using what is wrong to justify other behaviors.

Are you telling me it’s time to stop spiking the football??? :(

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

lulz.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

All this hand wringing about the collapse of the "media". The media is just fine. Actually, with the explosion of the internet, it's stronger than ever. With so many providers, it's incredibly easy to find different perspectives on almost any story. What more can we ask of "the media"?

What is "the media" other than a disseminator of information. We have more information at our fingertips than at anytime in our history. Sure, you may say that there's too much "fake news" out there. Pfffttttt...there has always been fake news.

Even though no one here at the MWC Board ever admits to watching the cable news channels :rolleyes:, many of you complain about the outright falsehoods found on these stations. Has anyone here ever been fooled or had their opinion changed by anything you've ever seen on Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc...?

The media is not fine. The fact is very few believe much of what is said or printed in the media anymore regarding politics. The media used to be a watchdog on our politicians. Now they have become a shill for politicians. It’s not a good thing. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

The media is not fine. The fact is very few believe much of what is printed in the media anymore regarding politics. The media used to be a watchdog on our politicians. Now they have become a shill for politicians. It’s not a good thing. 

The "media" reports more about every politician than at anytime in our history. The 24 hour news cycle is insatiable; don't like what you see or hear one place, look someplace else, you'll find whatever it is you're looking for.

Like I asked, have any of your opinions or beliefs been changed by anything you've seen or read from the media?

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

The "media" reports more about every politician than at anytime in our history. The 24 hour news cycle is insatiable; don't like what you see or hear one place, look someplace else, you'll find whatever it is you're looking for.

Like I asked, have any of your opinions or beliefs been changed by anything you've seen or read from the media?

The media didn't report Obama's cover up of his IRS debacle.  Computers blowing up in 3 states barely made the news.

The media didn't report the Obama administration cover up of the 9/11 attack to effect the out come of an election.

The media did make a whole big shit about this Russian investigation which anyone from about day 3 with a brain knew was a joke.

All your hallowed leftist media have made their credibility into shit the last 10 years.   We can go on and on.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The problem is everything they report is highly biased such that it is not believable. Maybe you like your news that way, most of us don’t. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

The problem is everything they report is highly biased such that it is not believable. Maybe you like your news that way, most of us don’t. 

Yes, much of the news is biased. Are you fooled by the bias?

4 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The Wapo's attempt to rewrite history.  The media had Trump tried and convicted on Russian collusion and collaboration.  They couldn't have been more fake than they were, including the Wapo

28 minutes ago, pokebball said:

The Wapo's attempt to rewrite history.  The media had Trump tried and convicted on Russian collusion and collaboration.  They couldn't have been more fake than they were, including the Wapo

Did they? I saw a lot of stories that they published that were called fake that turned out to be true. I didn't see where they had him convicted on collusion. There were some opinion pieces. I also saw some opinion pieces in the Wapo from the other side. I saw a lot of stories pointing out the shady things going on in the WH. I never saw them claim a smoking gun or that this will lead to a collusion or conspiracy charge. Nor at all claiming that there isn't bias on the part of Wapo or other media members but I don't think they ever claimed it was a open and shut case. I saw a lot about how its a hard thing to prove and if there isn't something BIG in the report we didn't know about then collusion from Trump would be hard to prove.

I read quite a bit of the Washington POst because it is one of the major newspapers I get full access to at work. I completely agree there is a bias but they do pretty solid reporting.

50 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Did they? I saw a lot of stories that they published that were called fake that turned out to be true. I didn't see where they had him convicted on collusion. There were some opinion pieces. I also saw some opinion pieces in the Wapo from the other side. I saw a lot of stories pointing out the shady things going on in the WH. I never saw them claim a smoking gun or that this will lead to a collusion or conspiracy charge. Nor at all claiming that there isn't bias on the part of Wapo or other media members but I don't think they ever claimed it was a open and shut case. I saw a lot about how its a hard thing to prove and if there isn't something BIG in the report we didn't know about then collusion from Trump would be hard to prove.

I read quite a bit of the Washington POst because it is one of the major newspapers I get full access to at work. I completely agree there is a bias but they do pretty solid reporting.

Here you go a few headlines from your favorite leftest media.   I can find about 10000 more articles from your major media saying the same thing and so can you.   To claim the media doesn't have egg all over their biased reporting is just ignorant of the last 2 years of reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/opinion/the-argument-trump-russia-collusion-putin-mueller.html

Is Trump a Traitor?    

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/13/trump-russia-collusion-putin-223973

It’s Already Collusion

We don’t need news reports to tell us that Trump is giving Putin what he wants. Take it from this longtime Russia hand: It’s staring us in the face.

https://www.newsweek.com/former-cia-agent-calls-trump-traitor-who-betrayed-america-after-nyt-report-1289303

Former CIA operations officer accused Donald Trump of being a “traitor” who “betrayed” America after the New York Times revealed that the FBI launched a secret probe into whether the president was working for the Kremlin.

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

More isn't always better.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, bluerules009 said:

Only someone ignorant of the english language would say after reading my posts on this board that "Trump was my favorite president".

Calling someone "ignorant" while spelling the official language of our country "english" is sadly par for the course for you, BR.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, renoskier said:

All this hand wringing about the collapse of the "media". The media is just fine. Actually, with the explosion of the internet, it's stronger than ever. With so many providers, it's incredibly easy to find different perspectives on almost any story. What more can we ask of "the media"?

What is "the media" other than a disseminator of information. We have more information at our fingertips than at anytime in our history. Sure, you may say that there's too much "fake news" out there. Pfffttttt...there has always been fake news.

Even though no one here at the MWC Board ever admits to watching the cable news channels :rolleyes:, many of you complain about the outright falsehoods found on these stations. Has anyone here ever been fooled or had their opinion changed by anything you've ever seen on Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc...?

There was a time in this country when citizens knew what "yellow" or "tabloid" journalism was. It was, for example, the National Enquirer, about which my wife's good friend used to say derogatorily, "They couldn't print it if it wasn't true." Tabloid journalism has always been rampant in Britain. However, until Rupert Murdoch decided to infest our country with his Australian philosophy of presentation of the news by purchasing the NY Post and starting the FoxNews ("Fair and Balanced" lol) Network, tabloid journalism had just a minute portion of the American market. Now, however, it has become the norm with even the long-respected CNN becoming as vile as Fox.

What more can we ask of the media? How about to make their best effort to stop presenting opinion under the guise of reporting of just the facts?

You and I may be able to easily distinguish the two on our own. However, millions of Americans who lack the formal education that we have are less able to do so. And in any event, why the hell should we have to do the media's work for them? Let them rehabilitate themselves by doing their own GD work!

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Calling someone "ignorant" while spelling the official language of our country "english" is sadly par for the course for you, BR.

Calling you "ignorant", should be taken as a complement.  Your dream is to reach that level.