Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchas

Anthony Mathis....

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If I were a better person, I'd lie and say I'm happy he's coming back.  

UNM fans have to be very happy about this piece of good news. 

Mixed emotions. I will be very curious where the scholarship will come from and the playing time.

Not to disparage Mathis but I was, quite  excited for his replacements.

15 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

Mixed emotions. I will be very curious where the scholarship will come from and the playing time.

Not to disparage Mathis but I was, quite  excited for his replacements.

Sounds like there is  a player on the team that may qualify for an academic scholarship.  My guess would be Vladi.  That would put them at one over. I hope Drinnon sticks it out.  

He can't guard , but Mathis is a lights out shooter Sage.  Not too many of those anywhere.  

His sophmore year, for reasons only known to Craig Neal, Mathis only played 64 minutes, 23 in the second semester. UNM probably made the argument that those few minutes and his academic progress were grounds for granting him the redshirt season he never got. Given that football players can now play four full games and still redshirt, it's not as crazy as it sounds. Remember, at the end of the day the NCAA can waiver pretty much anything it wants to. I'm just amazed that a G5-school player got this one....:P

58 minutes ago, jdw said:

His sophmore year, for reasons only known to Craig Neal, Mathis only played 64 minutes, 23 in the second semester. UNM probably made the argument that those few minutes and his academic progress were grounds for granting him the redshirt season he never got. Given that football players can now play four full games and still redshirt, it's not as crazy as it sounds. Remember, at the end of the day the NCAA can waiver pretty much anything it wants to. I'm just amazed that a G5-school player got this one....:P

Happy for Mathis.  It appears that the Noodle effed him over and the NCAA agreed.

As important as Mathis was to the team, it’s hard to imagine why Noodles benched him like he did. Imo, Noodles was hoping Mathis would transfer, but he stuck it out, and karma took care of both of them!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

24 minutes ago, qwelish said:

He can shoot when no one is guarding him.

On the other hand, the opposition can shoot when Anthony is guarding them.

Having said that, no one IMO has been a better teammate than Mathis over his career.

I'm happy for him and glad that he can be a Lobo for another year. He will contribute and win some games with his three point shooting (42%) and free throw accuracy.

3 hours ago, LoboSage said:

On the other hand, the opposition can shoot when Anthony is guarding them.

Having said that, no one IMO has been a better teammate than Mathis over his career.

I'm happy for him and glad that he can be a Lobo for another year. He will contribute and win some games with his three point shooting (42%) and free throw accuracy.

He's a double-edged baller. NMSU would love to have someone clutch like him finish games against P5 opponents like Kansas and Auburn, but clawing our way back against those teams requires more defense than Mathis is normally capable of playing.

I wonder how much of that is coaching, though. If we swapped rosters, who do you think wins? (I think UNM would still lose, but it'd be closer because Weir's vision on offense fits the NMSU roster better.)

7 hours ago, GoNMSUAggies said:

He's a double-edged baller. NMSU would love to have someone clutch like him finish games against P5 opponents like Kansas and Auburn, but clawing our way back against those teams requires more defense than Mathis is normally capable of playing.

I wonder how much of that is coaching, though. If we swapped rosters, who do you think wins? (I think UNM would still lose, but it'd be closer because Weir's vision on offense fits the NMSU roster better.)

He doesn't fit at all the style that Jans demands.  You have to be able to play at a bare minimum decent defense.  Good for UNM though and should help them have a better season next year.  Will be interesting to see how he fits in with the new PG.

9 hours ago, GoNMSUAggies said:

I like Jans a lot.

Best of luck 2019/20.

16 hours ago, sebasour said:

I'm not complaining, but I still have absolutely no idea why he was granted this?

From what I have gathered so far it seems that he applied for a hardship waiver to get another year of eligibility.  The year in question was Noodles last year as HC at UNM.  Mathis played sparingly in two games (Wyoming and AF) so he applied for the waiver and damned if he did not get it.  Personally, I think it was a shot in the dark for him to request it but somehow he was granted another year.  NCAA pulls some weird stuff when we least expect it.

Will be interesting to see how Weir uses him next season, he is a deadly outside threat.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg