Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

BYU PROTEST!!!

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

The BYU fans on here all voted a while back.   

We granted you an honorary BYU diploma and full BYU fan status. 

I'll be honest....I've never seen a more natural BYU fan than you before.  All you need is a BYU shirt.

i meant that i was unsure if you were serious about soliciting my opinion on the honor code

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, AndroidAggie said:

i meant that i was unsure if you were serious about soliciting my opinion on the honor code

OK.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion, since you are a USU fan (can offer a neutral viewpoint), but also not obsessed with BYU (as some USU fans appear to be).

Might be a little difficult understanding BYU, if you havne't attend there, though.   So yes, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts...

Honestly, in my opinion, having attended a few Universities, I think the Honor Code problems at BYU are overstated, and overblown.   I am in favor of the Honor Code getting out of the business of kicking people out of school for sex violations, and managing facial hair, but that might be about it.   The rest of the honor code isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Also, I'm not sure that the LGBT community's call to allow PDA is going to change.   I guess they want the rules to change so that, for example, two dudes can do PDA stuff (same as hetero couples).   I don't think BYU will like that.   Who knows?

38 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

OK.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion, since you are a USU fan (can offer a neutral viewpoint), but also not obsessed with BYU (as some USU fans appear to be).

Might be a little difficult understanding BYU, if you havne't attend there, though.   So yes, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts...

Honestly, in my opinion, having attended a few Universities, I think the Honor Code problems at BYU are overstated, and overblown.   I am in favor of the Honor Code getting out of the business of kicking people out of school for sex violations, and managing facial hair, but that might be about it.   The rest of the honor code isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Also, I'm not sure that the LGBT community's call to allow PDA is going to change.   I guess they want the rules to change so that, for example, two dudes can do PDA stuff (same as hetero couples).   I don't think BYU will like that.   Who knows?

i have no opinion on what others say or think about the effects of the honor code at the university because i can't evaluate them. i have spent very little time on byu campus or in byu housing.  i had friends go to both byu-provo and byu-idaho, so i heard stories or was an unwilling participant in a few instances.  at byu-provo back in 1999, i remember getting a stern talking to by a friend for using her restroom when i visited her in her dorm because it was an honor code violation and if she was discovered having boys she invited over in that part of the housing, she could get into trouble for it were she reported.  in the early 2000s, my friends at byu-idaho were not allowed to wear overalls, baseball hats, and of course have an unshaven chin.  i didn't think much of it, but i wasn't a student there, so it didn't affect me.

beyond that, i find the whole idea stupid.

college aged people should have the integrity to embrace their life choices and own them.  if that means a life of serving God as a Mormon, then that's awesome (and personally my favored outcome for everyone.)  if it's not, well, so be it.  i don't think disallowing hats and beards or boys in the single occupant girls dorm-room bathrooms is really necessary to police.  we have Temple recommends for the members and academic honor codes about cheating and integrity for non members.  i honestly don't see the usefulness of the honor code.

Guest #1Stunner
45 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i have no opinion on what others say or think about the effects of the honor code at the university because i can't evaluate them. i have spent very little time on byu campus or in byu housing.  i had friends go to both byu-provo and byu-idaho, so i heard stories or was an unwilling participant in a few instances.  at byu-provo back in 1999, i remember getting a stern talking to by a friend for using her restroom when i visited her in her dorm because it was an honor code violation and if she was discovered having boys she invited over in that part of the housing, she could get into trouble for it were she reported.  in the early 2000s, my friends at byu-idaho were not allowed to wear overalls, baseball hats, and of course have an unshaven chin.  i didn't think much of it, but i wasn't a student there, so it didn't affect me.

beyond that, i find the whole idea stupid.

college aged people should have the integrity to embrace their life choices and own them.  if that means a life of serving God as a Mormon, then that's awesome (and personally my favored outcome for everyone.)  if it's not, well, so be it.  i don't think disallowing hats and beards or boys in the single occupant girls dorm-room bathrooms is really necessary to police.  we have Temple recommends for the members and academic honor codes about cheating and integrity for non members.  i honestly don't see the usefulness of the honor code.

No hats?  

Weird how BYU-Idaho has these separate rules from BYU.

Generally I agree.  I don't mind the honor code....just of some of the rules are dumb.   And It should be more of a personal code of conduct.  

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

No hats?  

Weird how BYU-Idaho has these separate rules from BYU.

Generally I agree.  I don't mind the honor code....just of some of the rules are dumb.   And It should be more of a personal code of conduct.  

correct, no hats back in the mid aughts.  idk if that's still the case.

yeah i think we're in agreement on the honor code.  one of those things that's a good idea on paper but maybe has been carried away.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, alum93 said:

So now i am hooked.  What are the biggest no no's on BYU campus that are widely accepted at most universities?  Pre marital touching and squeezing?  Smoking the mota?  A Bud Light in the alley?  Too much skin on the television?  Do tell for those that went to, let's say, more liberal schools...

I have no idea why any young person would want to go to YBU.